PDA

View Full Version : Comic Sidekick NPC

Lysander
2009-06-23, 01:06 PM
So you want a silly and helpless character to accompany your party. At the same time though you don't want them to die. Here's my idea for the Comic Sidekick npc class:

Comic Sidekick characters are poor fighters and cowards, yet consistently survive being thrown into the most dangerous situations imaginable. Heroes sometimes force them to come along, or sometimes they force themselves upon heroes, because their wide knowledge and skills are needed.

Alignment:
Any

Hit Die:
d4

Class Skills:
Decipher Script, Disable Device, Spellcraft, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Tumble, Perform (comedy), Listen, Knowledge (History, Geography, Nobility, Arcana), Profession, Craft

Skill Points at 1st Level

(8 + Int modifier) ×4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level

8 + Int modifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies:
None

{table=head]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+0|+0|+2|+2|Incompetence, Evasion, Run, Cowardice 1/day
2|+0|+0|+3|+2|Unconscious and Ignored, Terror 1/day
3|+0|+1|+3|+3|Pratfall, Hasty Tiptoe
4|+1|+1|+4|+3|Uncanny Dodge
5|+1|+1|+4|+4|Wild Disrespect, Cowardice 2/day
6|+1|+2|+5|+5|Scooby
7|+2|+2|+5|+5|Nutshot
8|+2|+2|+6|+6|Mobile Terror
9|+2|+3|+6|+6|A Thing I Can Do Well
10|+3|+3|+7|+7|Scooby Jr., Cowardice 3/day
[/table]

Incompetence
Comic Sidekicks are poor fighters. Whenever a sidekick tries to use any weapon or an offensive spell roll 1d6. On a 1 or 2 they accidentally drop their weapon before managing to attack, trip if using an unarmed attack, or the spell explodes in their face and stuns them for 1 round.

Evasion
A Comic Sidekick always accidentally falls out of the way of area effects. If they succeed on a reflex save that normally allows half damage, they instead take no damage.

Run
At level 1 comic sidekicks get the run feat.

Cowardice
Once per day if a physical attack or magic spell would reduce a Comic Sidekick to negative hitpoints or kill them they can instead roll a Reflex saving throw (DC = 1/2 damage dealt or 3x spell level) to completely avoid the all harm by becoming panicked until the end of the encounter. They can use the ability one additional time at level 5 and level 10. This ability will not work if the Sidekick is incapacitated.

Unconscious and Ignored (Ex)
During combat Comic Sidekick can faint and become unconscious for ten rounds. Doing so allows them to Hide In Plain Sight as they faint, as long as their allies are still fighting nearby. If a creature moves to attack them they instantly awaken and can dodge.

Hasty Tiptoe
A Comic Sidekick has no penalty to Move Silently checks when moving at normal speed if they are moving away from enemies.

Pratfall
The first 5d6 dice of damage a Comic Sidekick takes when falling is non-lethal damage.

Terror
Once a day a Sidekick can enter a state of paralyzed fear, and maintain it for as long as needed. They are unable to move or perform any action during this time, other than whisper. However being in this state provides a +4 modifier to will saves.

Uncanny Dodge
Starting at 4th level, a Comic Sidekick can fearfully react before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Wild Disrespect
This ability functions as Wild Empathy, except if successful an animal or magical beast remains unfriendly, but sees the Comic Sidekick as an amusement rather than as an enemy or as prey. Instead of attacking the sidekick they will have fun by pushing them into piles of filth and playing other games at their expense until losing interest.

Scooby
At level 6 a comic sidekick acquires a Scooby, a similarly terrified animal companion. They are able to choose from a mouse, a pigeon, a cat, or a dog. The animal will loyally obey commands, but is unable to attack. The animal is exactly like others of its kind, except it has 4 bonus HD and every Comic Sidekick feat its master has, except Scooby.

Nutshot
Once per day a Comic Sidekick can reduce up to 15 damage from any one non-magical attack by absorbing it as painful blow to the crotch. Using this ability knocks the sidekick prone, stuns them for one round, and leaves them unable to speak beyond wordless high pitched squeaks for 3 rounds.

Mobile Terror
At level 8 Sidekick is able to move when using Terror, but can still not perform any other actions.

A Thing I Can Do Well
At level 9 a Comic Sidekick actually gets good at doing something. They may select a bonus feat, or they learn three level 0 and two level 1 Sor/Wiz spells of their choice that they can cast once a day each, or they may add a +4 modifier to any one skill they have ranks in.

Scooby Jr.
At level 10 a Sidekick's Scooby gets its own Scooby. The main Scooby will try to pass any command a Sidekick gives it to Scooby Jr. if possible. You cannot command Scooby Jr., except indirectly by giving your Scooby a task that requires both animals.

Anxe
2009-06-23, 03:05 PM
Love it. Awesome class for a comedy campaign. Now if only I ran one...

DracoDei
2009-06-23, 04:47 PM
An interesting class. I do find myself wondering if it MIGHT not be better as a template, but I suppose there are advantages to both.

Evasion is unreliable, and thus the flavor text for it should not include the word "Always".

Prat-fall is badly worded.