PDA

View Full Version : Five foot steps

Alysar
2009-06-23, 04:14 PM
In a locked thread below, where someone did something that we aren't supposed to do

{Scrubbed}
------------------------------
Mods, I'm joking! It's a joke! Please don't lock this thread. Please?
Someone in that thread suggested reading The Giant's previous webcomic, 5 foot steps.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/hq/polyffs1

I didn't even know about this. These are cool. I just wish that there were more of them.

Prowl
2009-06-23, 04:27 PM
When is #6 going to come out? I've been waiting forever!!!!

:smallbiggrin:

derfenrirwolv
2009-06-23, 04:32 PM
Any way to see it without WoTC menu bars covering 3/4s of it?

Zanaril
2009-06-23, 04:45 PM
Any way to see it without WoTC menu bars covering 3/4s of it?

Yea, right click and select "view image" and it'll open on a new page.

choie
2009-06-23, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the link! It's great to see Rich's previous work, especially since it's in such a different style. (Yet I keep trying to find OOTS analogues in the players.)

But you might wanna delete that spoiler stuff from the OP. If the mods tell us something is verboten and thus close a thread, repeating it in a new thread seems like baiting. (At the least, it's a good way to get this thread closed too, and that would be a shame since it's so useful!)

Olorin93
2009-06-23, 04:50 PM

If this doesn't work in your browser, the "printer friendly" link at the bottom of the page does nicely as well.

Elemental_Elf
2009-06-23, 05:02 PM
I wish Rich had done more, it was a good read.

Ytaker
2009-06-23, 05:09 PM

http://www.wizards.com/global/images/rpga_hq_polyffs1_picMain_en.gif

This, basically.

Raenir Salazar
2009-06-23, 05:21 PM
so thats where my thread went, why dont they pm you when they do that it spares me the search.

Or apparently not your referring to a different thread, wheres mine then.

Lira
2009-06-23, 05:28 PM
so thats where my thread went, why dont they pm you when they do that it spares me the search.

Or apparently not your referring to a different thread, wheres mine then.

Your thread was merged with this one:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115789

Defiant
2009-06-23, 06:28 PM
So I can't tell, but is this really old and a thing of the past, or a new webcomic that Wizards has requisitioned that will be regularly updated?

Flickerdart
2009-06-23, 06:39 PM
So I can't tell, but is this really old and a thing of the past, or a new webcomic that Wizards has requisitioned that will be regularly updated?
It's Copyrighted for 2005, so no, it isn't new.

Claudius Maximus
2009-06-23, 06:46 PM
I was the one who linked to it in the locked thread. I just found it today, and I was intrigued since I have never seen it mentioned on these boards, so I wanted to bring it up. I guess a doomed thread wasn't the best place now that I think about it.

Anyway, this is the only instance I've seen where Rich is trying to draw in a different style. It looks kinda weird, but I have the distinct feeling that the art would have drastically improved had he kept it up.

Kaytara
2009-06-24, 12:01 PM
Wow, that's awesome to see! :D But what are you talking about, guys? The style isn't all that different. The eyes are just two black dots and the expressions are exactly the same. The curvy eyebrows for the confused look, the line extending through the face to show a sort of frowning look, the "( )" around the eyes to show shock or surprise... And there are similarities in the characters as well. :) There's the tan-skinned wheelchair straight man guy who gets exasperated at the others, apologises, and gets exasperated again when he realises that he gave their maturity more credit than it deserved. And the silly guy with blond hair and a goatee. XD Looks like Rich has been recycling character designs. :smallamused:

roy_greenhilt
2009-06-24, 12:27 PM
I noticed that Jim's character is basically Thog. A half-orc barbarian!

Zanaril
2009-06-24, 12:29 PM
Wow, that's awesome to see! :D But what are you talking about, guys? The style isn't all that different. [...]

You know... you're right.

If it hadn't been jossed already, I'd say that the OOTS were actually being played by that group. :smalltongue:

Scion_of_Darkness
2009-06-24, 01:53 PM
I also noticed a few comparisons between the characters. If only there was some way to get Rich to do more... Oh well.

Optimystik
2009-06-24, 03:17 PM
This series is hilarious! I love the Greenhill incident :smallbiggrin:

Zagaroth
2009-06-24, 06:59 PM
This series is hilarious! I love the Greenhill incident :smallbiggrin:

yeah, that rather painfully reminds me of an essentially dead online campaign of mine...

ThisIsNotDan
2009-06-24, 07:25 PM
Has anyone else thought of matching the whole group up to different OoTS characters? Here's what I thought up:

Ramon (wheelchair): Roy (someone already explained why)
Jim (blonde guy): Elan (someone already explained why)
Liana (goth girl): Haley (in her goth phase)
Doug (GM): Vaarsuvius (I couldn't guess his gender until he said his name)
Zaid (dark skin, hair): Belkar (loud and obnoxious, which is what Belkar would be if he were in the real world. In-comic, his antics just make him awesome)
Kristen (new girl): Durkon (generic character, easily roleplayed if you can pull off the accent)

Also, I didn't even notice the similarities in the facial expressions, etc, until Kaytara pointed them out--that's really something!

Also also, Roy Greenhill, anyone? Eh? Eh?

SadisticFishing
2009-06-24, 11:02 PM
No way. Zaid is Durkon, Kristen is Haley, and Liana is V.

Doug is DM.

Great.. 5 strips of a webcomic, though :D

Kaytara
2009-06-24, 11:49 PM
and Liana is V.

That's what I thought. Formal way of speaking and all that. :D

FlawedParadigm
2009-06-26, 02:08 PM
Interesting stuff. I wonder if the fact that the acronym for Five Foot Steps being FFS is incidental or if Rich is giving a nod to a common Australian/European acronym I can't repeat in polite company.

Random832
2009-06-26, 02:23 PM
Interesting stuff. I wonder if the fact that the acronym for Five Foot Steps being FFS is incidental or if Rich is giving a nod to a common Australian/European acronym I can't repeat in polite company.

:smallconfused: Australian/European?

You think so little of us Americans' capacity for profanity?

FlawedParadigm
2009-06-26, 02:49 PM
I'm just pointing out where it started. I'd never suggest that the English language's capacity for stealing phrases and words that suited it to be anything less than phenomenal.

Roupe
2009-06-26, 05:00 PM
Supposing that they are the oots players,

I think that DM Doug asked them to change their intial concept.

Liana- wanted to play a elven wizard (necromancer) with a complicated name,
DMNot necromancy please (due to Lich in Campaign)
Still decides to be a elven wizard =V

Ramon -Wants to plays a Swashbuckler extraordinare and a orphan, Roy or Elan (i think he is Roy cause of his skin color) could play both characters

Jim, wants to play a half orc- barbarian named stabalot
DM Half Orc? Elf in the Party No, skip the Orcs.
- instead plays a half-ling barbarian /ranger that stabs alot= Belkar

Zaid wants a cleric with wisdom 22 named mccleric
Cant be more cleric than a dwarfen cleric =Durkon

Kristen- wanted to play halfling rogue -named Kylie,
DMtwo halflings? that will turn this to much into LOTR
Instead she plays Haley (it almost rhymes)

Snake-Aes
2009-06-26, 05:13 PM
Supposing that they are the oots players,

Ramon -Wants to plays a Swashbuckler extraordinare and a orphan, Roy or Elan (i think he is Roy cause of his skin color) could play both characters

That...doesn't make much sense.

Roupe
2009-06-26, 06:00 PM
That...doesn't make much sense.
Roy lost his father prior to the campaign, and all of his family except for a sister is now in the afterlife. A character with dead parents is simmilar to a orphan & Roy uses a sword.

Elan, is raised without a father and is currently a dashing sword master extraordinary. so that character also is similar to the original desire.

Then there isn't another person, that i can select for the character that didnt get used. Both are similar,( in a sense)and Roy&Elan relations added to that made speculate that one person playing both =a plausible sollution.

At first one was played serious and the other silly.

I personally have played with a person playing two characters in a similar fashion (it was a serious wizard and his jolly familiar).

JonestheSpy
2009-06-26, 06:47 PM
Okay, I find it somewhat disturbing how much I look like Doug down to the correct hair color ponytail and rolled up sleeves black shirt over the tee.

And I ususally DM. Okay, fine, I'm a stereotype. No goatee stubble, though, thankfully.

Chronos
2009-06-26, 10:12 PM
Jim (blonde guy): Elan (someone already explained why)
Liana (goth girl): Haley (in her goth phase)Personally, I figure that Elan's and Haley's players are going out, but that Haley is played by the guy and Elan is played by the girl. And yes, I thought this before Darths and Droids started using the same idea.