PDA

View Full Version : Optimized Bow?

afroakuma
2009-06-23, 07:44 PM
Short, sweet question: I have a +10 bow. Apart from the obligatory +1, I want the rest of it to go into weapon abilities.

I've got enough GP on hand to acquire most any purchasable abilities (within reason, mind) and therefore want to make this thing nightmarish.

What should I pile on?

woodenbandman
2009-06-23, 07:52 PM
Splitting, Magebane, maybe Vorpal? (you will get double the attack rolls, which is like double the vorpality in my book).

EDIT: You have to use those RotW slashing arrows to get the vorpal thing to work. 10% chance of an autokill per attack isn't bad.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-23, 07:55 PM
Splitting and magebane are good. After that it depends on your class abilities and what you're trying to accomplish. You'll have different optimizations for a Rogue (sneak attack) than a Ranger (favored enemies).

afroakuma
2009-06-23, 08:02 PM
Assume no class abilities.

arguskos
2009-06-23, 08:10 PM
Splitting, magebane, any energy types you want, force. There's some ability that lets arrows pierce through people I think.... All of those are pretty good.

afroakuma
2009-06-23, 08:11 PM
Good, good, any more?

Draz74
2009-06-23, 08:12 PM
After Splitting, the best bow enhancement is Force (+2-equivalent, from MIC). Overcome all Damage Reduction, affect incorporeals, and (arguably) allow you to shoot through certain barriers that would otherwise destroy your arrows, e.g. Wall of Fire.

Beyond that ... Magebane is OK, but not awesome unless you're using the pre-nerfed Complete Arcane version. Out of Core, Seeking is actually fairly decent, as are Flaming/Frost/Shock.

Check here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.msg15064#msg15064) for more recommendations, courtesy of Eldariel (scroll down to the bottom of the post).

Note that many enhancements are very spiffy, but better applied to arrows rather than your bow. This includes a lot of features that only work a limited number of times per day -- which, of course, is hardly a limitation on an arrow that you only planned to use once anyway. See Greater Dispelling, Illusion Bane, Banishing, Binding, and especially Stygian for examples.

Keld Denar
2009-06-23, 08:20 PM
Force is good, since it converts the standard physical damage of an arrow into [Force] damage, which not only bypasses ALL DR (including DR/-), but also allows you to completely ignore Incorporiality and Etherealness (dang Blinking good guys). Its a +2 from the MIC.

Exit Wounds is also fun. You can attack the person behind the person you shoot at with only a -4 penalty to hit. Since archers don't really have a Power Attack ability which decreases accuracy to increase damage, archer AB tends to be very high. The -4 to hit is almost unnoticed as your arrows rip through the first guy and on into the 2nd. Its a +2 from the MIC, and it also adds +1d6 untyped damage, which is fun.

Splitting, as mentioned, is BRUTAL. Its really silly/stupid and shouldn't exist. BUT, if you really want it, combine with Exit Wounds an potentially hit 4 times every time you release the bow string. Thats efficiency!

Also, don't forget to get a stack of suped up arrows. The Enhancement bonus won't stack, but everything else will. Bane is very common to put on arrows, with Humanoid Bane, Magical Beast Bane, Undead Bane, and Evil Outsider Bane being very deliciously common enough to use.

EDIT: Dang, Spartan'ed!

afroakuma
2009-06-23, 08:22 PM
What sourcebook is this fabulous "Splitting" in?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-23, 08:23 PM
Beyond that ... Magebane is OK, but not awesome unless you're using the pre-nerfed Complete Arcane version. I don't see that "nerfing" so much as maintaining consistency. They just traded spell-like abilities for invocations. Magebane should be about arcane spellcasters, after all -- not magical creatures.

Keld Denar
2009-06-23, 08:29 PM
A quick google search reveils it to come from Champions of Ruin, a FR sourcebook.

Go figure...

Curmudgeon
2009-06-23, 08:30 PM
Splitting is in Champions of Ruin on page 42. It's a +3 cost enhancement, which is pretty expensive when you consider that a simple Wind Wall spell renders all your arrows impotent (unless they're of sufficiently massive size, anyway).

Tukka
2009-06-23, 08:31 PM
Make the base bow a Bow of the Wintermoon (MIC 48) so the composite damage adjusts to the wielder's strength (nice in case you get hit with a strength buff or if you take strength damage -- it'll always be optimal/usable) as long as you're the right alignment (CG, NG, CN). Whether or not you even use the relic power, it's worth the extra cost over and above a normal +1 composite longbow.

Of course, relics are not always readily available for purchase, so that may be a problem.

Doc Roc
2009-06-23, 08:43 PM
Splitting and wounding and if possible fleshgrinding because heck yes you should suffer indefinitely.

I tend to use large bows and just fire javelins. Expensive, but returning! RETURNING.

It's not RAW, but... but javelins! :))

+1 to bow of the WINtermoon. :)

Keld Denar
2009-06-23, 08:48 PM
Splitting and wounding and if possible fleshgrinding because heck yes you should suffer indefinitely.

I tend to use large bows and just fire javelins. Expensive, but returning! RETURNING.

+1 to bow of the WINtermoon. :)

Wounding ranged weapons do not pass along that special property to their ammo, as notated by many other abilities such as Flaming.

Also, Returning, as written, is terrible. It only returns to you at the beginning of your next turn, and then only if you haven't moved, and you have a free hand. Unless you are a Thri-Kreen or an Anthropomophic Squid, you'll be hard pressed when your Rate of Fire exceeds 2 shots as your hands fill up and even worse if you are utilizing some kind of launcher to propel your returning ammo.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-23, 08:49 PM
Tidesinger, that doesn't work. Javelins aren't notched to be fired from a string, nor are they end-stabilized as arrows are for longer distance flights. Arrows don't have ranges; bows do. Javelins have their own, inherently limited, ranges.

Doc Roc
2009-06-23, 08:55 PM
I am well aware. Once in a while, I favor something that is totally silly, and way outside RAI or RAW. It's rare, but me and javelins are close.

Where is it noted that wounding is not passed on? Alternatively, +1 wounding arrows are cheap enough to be worth it.

Emy
2009-06-23, 09:03 PM
If you're feeling silly, Hank's Energy Bow could also act as the base weapon for your bow.

Spellblade - Immunity to 1 targeted spell for 6000gp, plus you can redirect it at other people? Madness! (flat gp cost)

Initiative - Yay, initiative bonus! (flat gp cost)

Aptitude - depends on the build, but it can produce some really nice results.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-23, 09:06 PM
Where is it noted that wounding is not passed on? Nowhere, because it needs to be noted when it is passed on to the ammunition (not when it isn't). There's no general rule about magic being transferred from weapon to ammunition, only individual special cases for those properties that do transfer.

afroakuma
2009-06-23, 09:24 PM
Spellblade - Immunity to 1 targeted spell for 6000gp, plus you can redirect it at other people? Madness! (flat gp cost)

Initiative - Yay, initiative bonus! (flat gp cost)

Aptitude - depends on the build, but it can produce some really nice results.

Where would these be located?

Curmudgeon
2009-06-23, 09:32 PM
Spellblade: Player's Guide to Faerun, page 121

Initiative: Oriental Adventures (3.0), page 126

Aptitude: Tome of Battle, page 148

Draz74
2009-06-23, 09:33 PM
I don't see that "nerfing" so much as maintaining consistency. They just traded spell-like abilities for invocations. Magebane should be about arcane spellcasters, after all -- not magical creatures.

I think you're reading a negative connotation into "nerf" that I didn't intend. The change is better both for consistency and for balance, and I applaud it.

Eldariel
2009-06-23, 09:36 PM

Uh, Spellblade is in Player's Guide to Faerun, +6000gp to be immune to a single spell.

Initiative is in Oriental Adventures; 20k for +2 Luck to Initiative (other handy ways of boosting Initiative: Eager [+1 cost] in Magic Item Compendium for +2 unnamed Init and +2 to damage on surprise; & Warning [+1 cost] in Magic Item Compendium for +5 to Init).

Aptitude is in Tome of Battle, +1 enhancement: It allows you to apply any weapon-specific feats to your weapon. Therefore, if you have...say Lightning Maces [Complete Warrior] and an Aptitude Bow, you'll get the benefits of Lightning Maces with the bow (that is, whenever you threaten crit, you get an extra attack). Now, the problem is of course that this is not the intended use of the feat; the idea is that it allows you to use Weapon Focus-line and such with another weapon. This is one of those "woops, I guess we borked our text"-things again. I suggest against using this.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-23, 09:43 PM
I think you're reading a negative connotation into "nerf" that I didn't intend. The change is better both for consistency and for balance, and I applaud it. You're right; I'm sorry that I misunderstood. I'm just used to reading "nerf" as a complaint from people whining about their favorite exploits disappearing.

Emy
2009-06-23, 10:01 PM

Sorry about not posting sources. (Thanks for doing that, Curmudgeon.)

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-23, 10:11 PM
If you can make it a Weapon of Legacy, that might be worthwhile. A +1 splitting etc. bow that also happens to make you never flat-footed, immune to mind-affecting effects, and able to teleport a few times a day, all for a few thousand extra gp? Yes, please.

Tukka
2009-06-23, 10:39 PM
Also, I'm not sure if weapon crystals (MIC) affect ammunition when attached to a bow (the rules don't seem to indicate one way or another, except to note that for certain crystals it is specified that they only function on melee weapons), but that is another good source of power and versatility at a pretty good value. If nothing else, you could tack on a least or lesser crystal of return.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-23, 10:42 PM
Also, I'm not sure if weapon crystals (MIC) affect ammunition when attached to a bow (the rules don't seem to indicate one way or another, except to note that for certain crystals it is specified that they only function on melee weapons), but that is another good source of power and versatility at a pretty good value. If nothing else, you could tack on a least or lesser crystal of return.

By default, no properties transfer to ammunition unless specifically stated; since the section in MIC on augment crystals doesn't state such, and the individual crystal descriptions don't state such, they don't affect ammunition.

woodenbandman
2009-06-23, 10:46 PM
Oh hey don't forget to pick up like 20 raptor arrows. They'll return to your hand at the end of the round, they are automatically bane arrows, and you can probably enchant them further with stuff like Force.

afroakuma
2009-06-23, 11:00 PM
Are there any other flat cost abilities I should apply?

Tukka
2009-06-23, 11:06 PM
By default, no properties transfer to ammunition unless specifically stated; since the section in MIC on augment crystals doesn't state such, and the individual crystal descriptions don't state such, they don't affect ammunition.
Yeah, that's about what I figured, but I wasn't sure if I'd missed something that made an exception for the crystals, since there are no crystals that are explicitly specified as being for ranged weapons, which is a bit of a bummer.

Oh hey don't forget to pick up like 20 raptor arrows. They'll return to your hand at the end of the round, they are automatically bane arrows, and you can probably enchant them further with stuff like Force.
Note that the bane quality is only if you unlock the relic power (so worshiping Ehlonna is necessary, and if you're not a divine caster, you'll have to pick up a feat), but it is a very nice one. Also, the text says that after the round, the arrow restrings itself -- that leaves me questioning whether or not there would be any point in having more than one of these things for regular use? What happens if you fire four of them in a round? Do they all restring simultaneously? Can you fire a bow that has more than one arrow strung (maybe with a Manyshot)? The flavor text somewhat suggests that you can fire/re-fire them in succession with no problem though.

If nothing else, yeah, you ought to be able to magically enhance them further -- a nice little workaround for the above mentioned problem where you can't get certain properties on ranged weapons (without burning up somewhat expensive ammo). Whether or not they're worth the high base cost of the raptor arrows depends on how many arrows you fire, though.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-23, 11:16 PM
Are there any other flat cost abilities I should apply?Parrying(XPH). +1 Insight to AC and all saves. Definitely worth it.

Also, never get a Bane Bow, unless the entire campaign is anti-undead or something(Magebane is the exception). Get Bane arrows. A few dozen for every type your DM ever uses.

quick_comment
2009-06-23, 11:31 PM
Radiant Arrows from AE&Q only do 1 point of damage, but force a will save or be paralyzed

afroakuma
2009-06-23, 11:32 PM
How about doomwarding? 38500 GP for 7 charges...

...and is one permitted to apply the spellblade property more than once?

Hawriel
2009-06-23, 11:37 PM
Just jumping to the back here so I dont know if they have been mentioned.

Dispelling greater +1 cost. 3/day effect of target greater dispell magic. MIC pg33

Doom burst +2 cost. When ever a crit is scored a burst of blackness surounds the target, the target is shaken for 5 rounds no save. Even if the target is immune to crits the doom burst effect works. MIC pg 22. I just think DOOM effects are fun.

Ghost strike +1 cost. (to cheep for the power) as Ghost touch but you can sneak attack and crit undead. MIC pg 35

Impaling +1 cost. 3/day attack as touch attack. It is for piercing melee but it never hurts to ask the GM say at a +2 cost for ranged. MIC pg 37.

mage bane +1 cost. mentioned befor but combine it with the greater dispell property. Fun for all, eccept the mage. MIC pg 38

Maiming +1 cost. Give bonus damage on a crit. Damage depends on multiplyer of weapon. For a bow its +2d6. MIC pg 38.

Speed +3 cost. On a full attack +1 extra attack at full bab. DMG 225.

Spell Strike +1 cost. you can add the enchantment bonus (some or all) to your saving throws against spells and spell like abilities. Its a free action and lasts untill your next turn. MIC pg 44

Wounding +2 cost. 1 con damage on a hit. DMG pg 226.

OK more than your 10 point limit but any combination of these powers will make one kick ass bow. Think I'll make one.

quick_comment
2009-06-23, 11:40 PM
The suppression enhancement (SRD, psionic weapons) gives a +15 dispel check at will.

afroakuma
2009-06-23, 11:42 PM
The current build of my murderous little toy is a +1 parrying flaming frost force splitting dwarvencraft elvencraft distant warning initiative spellblade bow of the wintermoon.

Spellblade's set to disintegrate at the moment.

quick_comment
2009-06-23, 11:47 PM
The current build of my murderous little toy is a +1 parrying flaming frost force splitting dwarvencraft elvencraft distant warning initiative spellblade bow of the wintermoon.

Spellblade's set to disintegrate at the moment.

I seriously doubt you can apply two different ___craft templates to the same item.

Also, spellblade: disintegrate is suboptimal I think. I would set it for greater dispel magic. Disintegrate can be taken care of by your hopefully high TAC (being an archer an all).

sofawall
2009-06-24, 12:20 AM
I seriously doubt you can apply two different ___craft templates to the same item.

Elf who took that class to make them treated as a dwarf. (Stoneblessed? Stonechild? I forget.) Simple.

Emy
2009-06-24, 12:31 AM
I see I've been beaten to some things (raptor arrows), but here's my bow. Or what would be my bow if I were ever a very wealthy archer.

Spellblade (GP) Initiative (GP) Parrying (GP) Splitting (+3) Seeking (+1) Accurate (+1) Distance (+1) Holy [or Unholy] (+2) Energy Bow Item Familiar (overall, a +10 equivalent weapon)

Item familiar abilities:
Intelligent Item Lesser Power: Bless 3/day
Intelligent Item Greater Power: Haste 3/day
Special Purpose Item Dedicated Power: Wielder gets +2 luck bonus on attacks, saves, and checks

Crystal of Return, least - I wanted to put an Energy Assault crystal on this, but it doesn't look like it'll transfer the effect. This one is actually useful.

Modifications: Oil Chamber (Use oils of greater magic weapon), Wand Chamber (Wand of Arrow Storm. Maybe something else, though. I wonder if the Bloodstorm Blade trick works with Arrow Storm.)

Template: Dwarvencraft - if it can be applied to this weapon. It might be impossible.

Also: Raptor Arrows and Efficient Quiver (aka Quiver of Elhonna) for use with the bow. (I'm not sure what enchantments to put on them, though.)

Grab some pixie sleep arrows and memory loss arrows for utility/fun.

(Replace Distance with Aptitude if you're feeling abusive.) Also, I had Warning on the bow, but if you want it just hold a +1 Eager Warning Whatever normally, and quick draw your bow for combat. Or put it on Armor Spikes.

Sources

Accurate: Drow of the Underdark pg 95
Aptitude: Tome of Battle pg 148
Arrow Storm: Spell Compendium pg 16
Eager, Warning, Raptor Arrow, Crystal of Return: Magic Item Compendium pg 34, 46, 56, 65
Energy Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a)
Initiative: Oriental Adventures pg 126
Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), Seeking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#seeking), Distance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#distance), Parrying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#parrying), Efficient Quiver (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#efficientQuiver): SRD
Oil Chamber + Wand Chamber: Dungeonscape pg 33/34
Pixie arrows: Savage Species pg 51
Splitting: Champions of Ruin pg 42
Spellblade: Player's Guide to Faerun pg 120

Berserk Monk
2009-06-24, 12:34 AM
Either go kensai or order of the bow initiative.

9mm
2009-06-24, 12:44 AM
I've always been partial to explosive, turns your bow into a launcher of mini-fireballs for +3: others like Force.

sofawall
2009-06-24, 01:11 AM
Either go kensai or order of the bow initiative.
Order of the Bow Initiate, not Initiative, and as for OotBI, Listen to Admiral Ackbar...
http://101tees.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/trap.jpg

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-24, 10:01 AM
Order of the Bow Initiate, not Initiative

The Order of the Bow Initiative would be a good name for a project that revises the OotBI to not suck. I'll have to keep it in mind if I ever do that.

afroakuma
2009-06-24, 09:40 PM
Alright, bow reincarnated as:

+1 parrying flaming frost splitting force dwarvencraft elvencraft spellblade distant warning doomwarding initiative bow of the wintermoon

Spellblade is greater dispel magic.

Question: where did this force property come from?

herrhauptmann
2009-06-24, 10:18 PM
Ghost strike +1 cost. (to cheep for the power) as Ghost touch but you can sneak attack and crit undead. MIC pg 35

Ghost strikeis a synergy enchantment. Ergo it requires you to first have ghost touch.
I made the same mistake with a sacred burst weapon.

Enfeebling: BoED, on a crit, it deals 1d6+2 strength damage.
Blessed: (weakened to be not broken in MIC), but the BoED version let you automatically confirm crits against evil creatures.

Here's an item/skill combo that's good I think. Haven't gotten word from DM about it yet though.
spot check on evil enemy, Reciprocal bracers cuz he sneak attacked/critted you, blessed weapon. So long as you don't fumble your attack, it's going to be a touch attack (skill trick), a crit threat (bracers), and autocrit (Blessed weapon)

Keld Denar
2009-06-24, 10:42 PM
Question: where did this force property come from?

MIC, pg 35

Magi_Ring_O
2009-06-25, 12:28 AM
I'd say the Energy Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) would be the best base bow. To quote from the link:

Energy Bow

Price: 22,600 gp
Body Slot: — (held)
Caster Level: 6th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 18) evocation
Activation: See below
Weight: 3 lb.

Simply drawing your fingers in the air near this finely crafted bow causes it to be strung with an arrow of glimmering energy.

Hank’s energy bow acts as a +2 composite longbow that accommodates a user of any Strength. Although unstrung, it fires arrows of pure magical force that deal 2d6 points of damage. As they are force effects, the arrows do not suffer a miss chance when used against incorporeal creatures.The bow can be used to fire normal or magic arrows, but in such cases the bow does not confer its damage due to force.When drawn, the energy bow sheds light like a torch.

In addition, Hank can use the bow to make power shots.To do so, before making attack rolls, choose a number to subtract from your attack rolls up to Hank’s base attack and add this same number to the damage dealt by the bow with any attack that hits. The penalty on attack rolls and bonus on damage rolls last until Hank’s next turn.

Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, magic missile.
Cost to Create: 11,500 gp, 888 XP, 23 days.

Emy
2009-06-25, 12:37 AM
I'd say the Energy Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) would be the best base bow. To quote from the link:

It's a great bow. (not a Greatbow.)

That's why I suggested it earlier in the thread. :p

sofawall
2009-06-25, 01:08 AM
Is the energy Bow a relic or a unique magic item? If it's a relic, all well and good, but if it's merely unique, then you cannot further enchant it, can you?

Eldariel
2009-06-25, 01:14 AM
Is the energy Bow a relic or a unique magic item? If it's a relic, all well and good, but if it's merely unique, then you cannot further enchant it, can you?

It's just a magic item; no reason you couldn't further enchant it in the same way there's no reason you couldn't further enchant Celestial Armor. My personal favorite bow, by far. Power Shot, anyone? Then again, I guess I've said as much in the Archery Handbook.

And yeah, Greater Dispelling [Magic Item Compendium] Arrows are great, especially if pumped to CL20 somehow. It's only +2 anyways, and cheap on arrows, especially as the daily limit is hardly an issue there.

Draz74
2009-06-25, 01:45 AM
Alright, bow reincarnated as:

+1 parrying flaming frost splitting force dwarvencraft elvencraft spellblade distant warning doomwarding initiative bow of the wintermoon

Problems:

Like someone else said, I'm not sure dwarvencraft elvencraft is можно (allowed).
Regardless, dwarvencraft can only be placed on stone/metal objects. That precludes all bows that I know of, and Bow of the Wintermoon is specifically fluff-described as wooden. Go for a Hardening spell (SpC) instead of Dwarvencraft.
Parrying was nerfed in MIC. Instead of costing +8000 gp, it costs as a +2 ability.

afroakuma
2009-06-25, 07:04 AM
Problems:

Like someone else said, I'm not sure dwarvencraft elvencraft is можно (allowed).

I'm the DM; I can make it allowed. :smallamused:

Regardless, dwarvencraft can only be placed on stone/metal objects. That precludes all bows that I know of, and Bow of the Wintermoon is specifically fluff-described as wooden. Go for a Hardening spell (SpC) instead of Dwarvencraft.

...that does throw a wrench into my fun. *sigh* fine, removed. :smalltongue:

Parrying was nerfed in MIC. Instead of costing +8000 gp, it costs as a +2 ability.

I do not see this text that you wrote and am sure to be missing the relevant page from the book that I don't know you mentioned. :smallsmile:

The problem with energy bow is that it doesn't apply the force effect to other arrows, and thus my magical effect arrows would get nerfed unless I took force anyway. I like Power Shot, but the character in question really does care more about landing the hit than racking up damage.

Heliomance
2009-06-25, 08:19 AM
I would recommend Speed. Sure, it's a +3 enhancement, but what's not to like about an extra attack per round at full BAB? Especially if that attack is in fact two thanks to splitting.

quick_comment
2009-06-25, 03:31 PM
I would recommend Speed. Sure, it's a +3 enhancement, but what's not to like about an extra attack per round at full BAB? Especially if that attack is in fact two thanks to splitting.

For sure, dont get speed. It doesn't stack with haste, valient fury, righteous wrath of the faithful etc. Far better to just get an item to cast one of those spells.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-25, 05:28 PM

Can't you just get a speed dagger and still carry the benefits so long as it's on your person? If so, much better than wasting +3 worth of enhancements on your bow.

Keld Denar
2009-06-25, 05:44 PM
No, speed explicitly states that you can make attacks with THAT weapon.

Its not a 32,000g item of continuous Haste.

Although that would probably be a good price for someting like that...

herrhauptmann
2009-06-25, 06:37 PM
No, speed explicitly states that you can make attacks with THAT weapon.

Its not a 32,000g item of continuous Haste.

Although that would probably be a good price for someting like that...

I might have been confusing that with a similar item, but it grants the bonus to your initiative. Is there something like that? (Probably in core)

Keld Denar
2009-06-25, 07:03 PM
*waves hand*

This is not the Speed enhancement you are looking for. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#speed)

What you are probably thinking of is either Eager or Warning, both of which grant decent Init bonuses. Speed adds extra attacks, similar to Haste, but not stacking with Haste. Haste is WAY cheaper than a +3 weapon enhancement, which is at least 32,000g, and only works on the one weapon you are wielding with it.

Anxe
2009-06-25, 09:29 PM
I wanted to plop in a reminder that you also have a bunch of space for enchantments on your arrows. Just add returning to them and then you'll never have to get new ones either.

Keld Denar
2009-06-25, 09:51 PM
That doesn't work. Arrows, magical or otherwise, always break when they hit. When they miss, there is a 50% chance of missing. Returning is dumb anyway, because of where it shows up at the beginning of your turn.

Darrin
2009-06-25, 10:37 PM
That doesn't work. Arrows, magical or otherwise, always break when they hit. When they miss, there is a 50% chance of missing. Returning is dumb anyway, because of where it shows up at the beginning of your turn.

Hmmm... if you make magical arrows out of Aurorum, can you put them back together? There's also a Truename thingy that lets you restore broken magical items. "Truename Archer", though... if that doesn't scream "Tier 1" then I don't know what would...

herrhauptmann
2009-06-25, 10:44 PM
Doesn't aurorum have to be a material normally made from metal? Like swords, flails, certain armors and shields.

Optimator
2009-06-25, 10:55 PM
I have always been a big fan of the Binding ability on a bow. No save!

Kosjsjach
2009-06-26, 12:40 AM
I have always been a big fan of the Binding ability on a bow. No save!

As someone mentioned earlier, Binding is actually a better enhancement to put on your ammunition. The effect works only two times a day, but that hardly matters when it's getting destroyed anyway. The cost of a +1 Binding arrow (or any +1 [enhancement] arrow) is 160gp. Not bad at all.

ericgrau
2009-06-26, 01:14 AM
For the arrows get a bunch of different bane arrows. If you're really high level and can afford better arrows (and can still get lots) then you could add on damage types like fire which are often resisted... but not often both of them at the same time. So you have 2 (commonly resisted) energy types for each bane.

Or if you have an arcane caster in your party beg him for flame arrow for a free bonus. For both arcane and clerics ask for a greater magic weapon.

Emy
2009-06-26, 01:18 AM
I wanted to plop in a reminder that you also have a bunch of space for enchantments on your arrows. Just add returning to them and then you'll never have to get new ones either.

Raptor Arrows.

Raptor Arrows.

For the arrows get a bunch of different bane arrows.

Raptor Arrows.

Eldariel
2009-06-26, 01:44 AM
Raptor Arrows.

There's only one practical problem with them: Splitting might kinda suck if your arrows cost 6000 a piece. Out of the two, I'd frankly choose Splitting, especially since then you can afford to versatilize your arrow arsenal a bit as individual non-returning arrows are cheap even with enhancements.

Kosjsjach
2009-06-26, 01:44 AM
Raptor Arrows.

Raptor Arrows.

Raptor Arrows.

:biggrin:
You're completely right, with reservations on the last one. The bane ability either forces you to worship a nature goddess and burn a feat, or "sacrifice a 4th-level divine spell slot". Simply buying arrows at 160gp each for Bane doesn't seem so shabby at later levels.
(Btw, can anyone explain to me the "sacrificing" mechanic? Do you just not use it for as long as you want to use the arrows' relic power?)

Eldariel
2009-06-26, 01:54 AM
(Btw, can anyone explain to me the "sacrificing" mechanic? Do you just not use it for as long as you want to use the arrows' relic power?)

Instead of spending a feat on True Believer, you can give up a 4th level spell slot for the ability to use the relic. Basically, the spell slot disappears and you gain the ability to use the arrows. Although I guess you could technically get it back if you gave up on the arrows.

lsfreak
2009-06-26, 02:12 AM
According to MIC, I believe, you make the decision whether to use the spell slot or the relic on a daily basis.

olentu
2009-06-26, 02:15 AM
Instead of spending a feat on True Believer, you can give up a 4th level spell slot for the ability to use the relic. Basically, the spell slot disappears and you gain the ability to use the arrows. Although I guess you could technically get it back if you gave up on the arrows.

Well actually I believe you only temporally sacrifice the ability to use the spell slot on a daily basis and must decide if you want to keep using the relic power when spells are readied or prepared.

Skaven
2009-06-26, 02:20 AM
I always liked to make my weapons Holy.

Almost everything that I find myself attacking is evil anyway.

Talic
2009-06-26, 08:36 AM
@OP: This thread seems to be primarily about buffing a weapon/armor.

As such, I'd like to direct you to one of my personal resources, in this matter. It's not always 100% accurate, but it's good (so find the source after you reference an ability).

Behold! Weapons and Armor! (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-MagicItems-WeaponsArmor.pdf)