Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One creature
Duration: 10 minutes
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes

When you cast Moosey Fate and touch a creature, it is teleported to an extraplanar blank white 20x20 foot room, occupied by a moose munching on walnuts. The moose is invincible by conventional standards, and exposure threatens the victim's sanity. If the target fails a Will save, they go insane, as the spell Insanity. Once the spell's duration ends, they are returned to their previous location.

Command Words: "I will leave you to your moosey fate!"

vasharanpaladin
2009-06-23, 08:10 PM
...WANT.:smallcool:

Icewalker
2009-06-23, 08:24 PM
Interesting. Could be less than a 9th level spell for just insanity and a 10 minute imprisonment.

Perhaps there should be some caveat for avoiding the spell if you can make all the kids shift to the other side of the bus...?

Lysander
2009-06-23, 09:17 PM
Yeah, for a level 9 spell it should probably strand them there until they're released by the caster. To make it especially horrible it should make time function like on the astral plane, so they'll never get old or starve to death, instead having to endure the moose eternally.

Jergmo
2009-06-23, 09:43 PM
It's level 9 because they can't actually avoid being sent there.

Jane_Smith
2009-06-23, 09:46 PM
Deux Ex Moosica. Losing fight, big-bad bass is about to unleash his doomsday ritual on the world... toss him in the room with the moose and you got a full minute to stop the ritual/nuke the building/etc before the BBEG can come back. I like it. :P -pictures a lich in a room with a "what in the name of the 7 layers hells" look on his face and snickers-

Icewalker
2009-06-23, 09:51 PM

I considered this, but no, you have to make a touch attack.

I mean, the spell Imprisonment is a 9th level Sor/Wiz spell, Will save or be sealed away permanently. And they get a -4 on their save if you know them well.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-23, 09:59 PM

As Icewalker pointed out, it's easy to avoid, considering it requires a touch attack and allows SR. For it to be a 9th level spell, I'd expect no touch attack, no save, no SR, and Close range.

Icewalker
2009-06-23, 10:02 PM
As it's only 10 minutes, that's reasonable.

Compared to Imprisonment, taking Lost's suggestion:

Imprisonment:
Touch attack
save (often at a -4)
SR negates
PERMANENT

Room with a Moose:
No attack
No save
SR negates
10 minutes
Save vs. insanity

I think it works.

DracoDei
2009-06-23, 10:33 PM
This is one example of why I consider Dimension Anchor to often qualify as a defensive buff (especially for fiends, but that is another subject).

Waspinator
2009-06-24, 01:28 PM
This is one example of why I consider Dimension Anchor to often qualify as a defensive buff (especially for fiends, but that is another subject).

I can see that. You limit your own mobility, but you do prevent the enemy from doing some pretty nasty things to you.

Ashtagon
2009-06-25, 12:37 AM
This has the potential to turn any bbeg fight into a non-event.

Icewalker
2009-06-25, 01:05 AM
This has the potential to turn any bbeg fight into a non-event.

I think with that comment, one must interpret 'this' as 'almost any 9th level spell'.

This is one of the least offenders with regards to that seeing as they're back in 10 minutes.

TheLibrarian
2009-06-25, 01:35 AM
Honestly, the spell could buff the enemy and I would still cast it just to say "I will leave you to your moosey fate!"

Bhu
2009-06-25, 05:06 AM
God bless you

TSED
2009-06-25, 05:26 AM
....the walnuts...

DracoDei
2009-06-25, 09:24 AM
By which time if the PCs don't have at least three different traps and are standing around where he will return (jut out of range of any traps they aren't immune to) with readied actions to attack, they are doing something wrong. Of course, that applies just as much to Maze.

Lady Tialait
2009-06-25, 10:26 AM
Obviously..the target will make their save.

"THE MOOSE HAS FAILED ME!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNvbAnaEXWA)

Jergmo
2009-06-25, 10:49 AM
Well, keep in mind, if the BBEG is a spellcaster, like most are, they could merely plane shift out. Or cast Dimensional Anchor.

Deth Muncher
2009-06-25, 10:51 AM
You know, I almost wish the save for this spell could be keyed off of intelligence somehow, given that Dib was the only one to notice the horribleness that is...The Moose.

Jergmo
2009-06-25, 10:57 AM
You know, I almost wish the save for this spell could be keyed off of intelligence somehow, given that Dib was the only one to notice the horribleness that is...The Moose.

Well...I could change it so that the duration is instantaneous, and you have to make a DC 20 intellect check (which can be repeated) like with Maze?

Debihuman
2009-06-25, 05:10 PM
You know, I just had to look at the Invader Zim episode on Youtube to figure this out. I hadn't watched the show before so it made no sense to me.

It's perfect as is. I don't think you need to change it at all. Though, it would be fun to stat up the "invincible" moose just for grins and giggles.

Debby

Lappy9000
2009-06-25, 07:00 PM
You know, I just had to look at the Invader Zim episode on Youtube to figure this out. I hadn't watched the show before so it made no sense to me.

It's perfect as is. I don't think you need to change it at all. Though, it would be fun to stat up the "invincible" moose just for grins and giggles.

DebbyIt's gotta be hilarious to see someone who looks at this spell without knowing the context of it :smallbiggrin:

It looks fantastic just like it is. Good job!

Deth Muncher
2009-06-25, 09:58 PM
Well...I could change it so that the duration is instantaneous, and you have to make a DC 20 intellect check (which can be repeated) like with Maze?

Maybe, but then it just feels like a cheap knockoff of Maze. Not to belittle your spell, by the way, as I absolutely love it and plan to use it in my upcoming campaign. But you know how in spell descriptions, it has the specific text "This save is keyed off of [insert stat]."? So just say "This save is keyed off of Int."

Jergmo
2009-06-25, 11:38 PM
Alright, cool, thanks everyone. :smallbiggrin:

Zeful
2009-06-25, 11:47 PM

Debby

Which would put it next to Snuggles the housecat of death