PDA

View Full Version : Legendary Class: Titan

Jane_Smith
2009-06-23, 08:48 PM
Behold, the second legendary class - Titan, and all its fearsome fury of the forest fauns.. i mean.. -cough- Ya.. all its terrible fury. >.>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The Titan~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/diii-female-barbarian.jpg

"You killed my mother! You killed my father, you killed my people! Tonight you will die by blade, and know this as truth." - Dii, The Giantblooded.

Fighters face death regularly; it lies in the blades of every opponent, the maw of every beast, and the whispers of every shadow. Renowned fighters gain fame by cheating death, or causing it, and dancing the thin line between living and dying, and returning triumphant where lesser men would have fallen.

But sometimes, there is a warrior who goes beyond the line; one who looks death in the face and forces it to back down. This is a warrior who cheats death daily and has managed to live against all odds, against all fate; a champion who regularly emerges vibtories from situations in which no one could possibly have survived. This warrior is unstoppable.

The Titan is a raging machine of death on the battlefield. He soaks up inhuman amounts of pain without flinching and continues to fight, butchering opponents in a bloodbath of frenzied slaughter. Even mortal woulds cannot slow him as he fights beyond hope and beyond death. Spells fail against his might, and even swords shatter against his flesh.

The Titan
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Warrior Power
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Warrior Power
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Warrior Power
4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Warrior Power
5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Warrior Power[/table]

Requirements
To qualify to become a titan, a character must fulfill all the following rquirements.

Base Attack Bonus: +10.
Feats: Cleave, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Power Attack, Toughness.
Special: The character must have the rage class feature. The character must have never died (if the character has ever been the target of a raise dead, reincarnation, ressurection, or true resurrection spell, he is disqualified).
Quest: Unlike other legendary classes, the stuff of the Titan is truely, undeniably legendary to its core.

Whatever the gm is encouraged to dream up whatever involves incredible amounts of ordeals and tests for the character to become a Titan. Whatever causes a warrior to become a Titan, it is a fated sign war is on the horizon.

Examples of tests include;
-Having him chop trees for 24 hours without food, sleep, or rest.
-Having every person in his tribe, town, family, etc take their best swing at at him to see if he still stands.
-Having him stand in front of a fire or pit (or even a cliff) while the four strongest men try to push him back.
-Forcing the warrior to pull elders (and often children) on sledges across miles of wilderness.
-Have him be outnumbered at least twenty to one in a battle and survive the conflict without any aid (Enemy's must be at least half his level or higher).

Hit Dice: d12
Base Attack Bonus: Good.
Saving Throws: Good Fortitude, Poor Reflex, Good Willpower.
Class skills:
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: A titan is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields.

Enhanced Attributes: The Titan gains a +1 legendary bonus to Strength and Constitution per power level.

Rage Advancement: The Titan gains rage points each level equal to 2 + his Constitution modifier. While the Titan does not gain access to Rage Powers, his class level stacks with barbarian for all rage power effects that determine their effect based on the characters barbarian level, for when he gains Greater Rage, Indomitable Will Tireless Rage, and Mighty Rage, and his Damage Reduction.

Warrior Power: At 1st level and every level thereafter the Titan gains one of the powers listed below. His power level is determined by how many of these powers he possesses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unrelenting Attacks (Ex): The Titan can enter a frenzy in a battle. When making a full attack action, he gains a +2 bonus to damage rolls per power level. If using a two-handed weapon or a one-handed weapon with both hands, this bonus damage is doubled to +4 per power level. He also gains an additional attack at his highest base attack bonus.

Immortal (Ex): Once per power level a day, when struck by any attack that would normally kill the Titan, he may use this ability to force the attack to fail. This works against any effect, be it physical damage, a death spell, or any other means of killing the Titan.

War Chant (Ex): As blood fills the battlefield, the Titan's song of death lifts to the air to urge his allies on, fueling their fury. As a swift action the Titan can raise his voice in a war chant, bestowing all allies (including himself) who can see and hear the Titan a morale bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws against fear equal to his power level. Any allies who have rage points and are currently in a state of rage regain a single rage point each round the Titan continues this song. He must chant continually, spending a swift action each additional turn to continue the effect. If he stops for any reason, the ability ends.

Overpower (Ex): The Titan shrugs off magical attacks as well as physical. He may ignore up to three spell levels per power level per day. The spell is not dispelled or negated, but simply has no effect on the Titan. He may choose to use this ability after a saving throw has been failed, but before damage is rolled.

Unquenchable Fury (Ex): When raging, the Titan's rage sustains him, not only allowing him to ignore wounds, but to actually repair them. The Titan gains fast healing ability, allowing him to regain two hit points per power level per round while raging.

Granite Body (Ex): Once per power level per day, the Titan may declare a successful attack against him to have a chance of shattering the weapon that struck him. This ability may only be used after a successful strike that deals damage, but must be announced before damage is rolled. The weapon must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1 per power level + Con bonus); failure means the weapon still deals damage, but then shatters against the warrior and is destroyed. Magical weapons add their enchantment bonus to their save. Only weapons may be shattered, and this ability does not work on natural armors, unarmed strikes, touch attacks, and ranged touch attacks.

Unstoppable (Ex): The Titan fights to the brink of death and beyond. There is no longer such a thing as unconscious to the titan - he fights until he is dead with no penalty. When raging, the titan continues to fight to an extra -10 hit points per power level. Thus a 5th level Titan he gains the ability to fight to an additional -50 hit points, so he does not drop until he reachs -60. If the warrior falls out of rage while at -10 hit points or lower, death claims him as usual.

Supernatural Resilience (Ex): The Titan gains damage reduction 1/- per power level and energy resistance 2 to acid, cold, eletricity, fire and sonic equal to his power level. This stacks with the damage reduction gained from barbarian class levels.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-23, 10:05 PM
1) Can you use Granite Body and Immortal together? That is, a weapon hits you and would deal enough damage to kill you, so you use Immortal...can you still break the weapon if it no longer deals damage to you?

2)
The Titan gains damage reduction 1/0- and energy resistance 2 to acid, cold, eletricity, fire and sonic equal to his power level.

The phrasing (and a possible typo) makes this a bit unclear. Which should this be?
DR 1/--, plus energy resistance 2 per power level
DR 10/--, plus energy resistance 2 per power level
DR 1/-- per power level plus energy resistance 2 per power level
DR 10/-- per power level plus energy resistance 2 per power level

Jane_Smith
2009-06-24, 09:50 AM
1 - No. Granite body requires you to take the damage normally for the effect to proc.

2 - Typo on my part x.x DR 1/- per power level, plus energy resistance 2 per power level

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-24, 10:19 AM
1 - No. Granite body requires you to take the damage normally for the effect to proc.

Didn't think so, but it was worth a shot. :smallwink:

2 - Typo on my part x.x DR 1/- per power level, plus energy resistance 2 per power level

Good. The other options were either worthless (DR 1/--, period) or too much (DR 10/-- per level), but I think this is just about right.

Other than those two points, I think the class looks solid. Very nice job.

Jane_Smith
2009-06-24, 10:40 AM
Thank you. ^..^ Next up - The Knight of the Chalice like it should have been.

Jane_Smith
2009-06-25, 12:29 PM
Updated with teh chartz. Sorry for the wait. :smallfrown:

Myrmex
2009-06-25, 12:46 PM
What are rage points?

Cool class.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-25, 12:54 PM
What are rage points?

Cool class.

They're a Pathfinder mechanic; the basic rage X/day is replaced with points that let you rage and activate special abilities while in rage. (At least that's the gist of it; I haven't looked at anything after the Beta version.)

Jane_Smith
2009-06-25, 01:16 PM
Basicly, ya, the rage mechanic for pathfinder barbarians is this;

At 1st level you get 4 + constitution bonus rage points. Each additional level you get 2 + constitution bonus rage points. Temporary changes, such as the rage, magic items, etc that increase your constitution does not change this amount, but permanent increases (wish, ability books, leveling) does.

Using a rage takes 1 rage point for 1 round. You can keep this rage going by spending an additional rage point each other round. When you end the rage, or run out of rage points, your fatigued for a number of rounds equal to double the amount of rage points you spent in the rage -

Also, their are Rage Powers barbarians get which cost rage points to use. Some cost around 6 points, some 10, some higher. This class does not give it extra rage powers, but it does add rage points and stack with your barbarian levels to determine the -effects- of rage powers, etc.

Myrmex
2009-06-26, 11:25 AM
So with that warcry ability, you get unlimited rage points? Was this intended?

Also, I think you should give the Titan more abilities that are good. Being able to shrug off spells and anything causing death is a good start. Having weapons break when they hit you? Sort of a bummer, since that's such a good source of WBL. I would change it so mundane weapons will automatically break (unlimited uses per day), if the Titan so chooses. A fluff thing, you know?

I would suggest that instead of giving the Titan 10 temporary HP per level when he is in a rage, just make it so he can't die from hit point damage whenever he rages, but seeing how as long as he spends a swift action every other round, he is immune to HP damage.

Maybe have one wear the Titan counts as one size category larger for every two power levels while in a rage, whenever doing so would be beneficial (wielding large weapons, opposed strength checks, trip attacks, etc).

Jane_Smith
2009-06-26, 07:35 PM
Its not unlimited - it costs 1 rage point each round to continue a rage, thus this simply makes it infinite-duration for incredibly long fights. Rage powers also cost rage points, a moderate/high amount at that. The chant simply makes it less of a worry of running out of rage time when you pull off your stuff.

As for the granite body idea of yours - No. Then it would not scale with power levels, which is against the entire concept of the legendary classes powers scaling with levels. And thats pretty much what the granite body ability does already - if your stupid enough to break the bosses weapon thats better then yours, its your own dang fault.

As for your immunity to damage/death idea - again, no. Once again, it doesnt scale with power levels.

As for the size boost - HELL no. Ive already gotten into more arguments over sizes the last month i could pull my hair out. I wish everything was medium size! -snickers- :smallamused:

Baron Corm
2009-06-26, 08:42 PM
The "character must have never died" requirement sort of goes against what being a raging berserker is all about. This encourages barbarians to play the game like sissy rogues, avoiding damage at all costs, instead of wading into battle screaming "come get me if you dare". In fact, a better requirement might be "willingly entered combat with a creature of greater CR than your own and survived", or something more like that.

Edit: Actually you seem to already have a requirement like that. So I would just drop the never dying thing. Dying can also be something not under the player's control so it's really not a very nice requirement.

Myrmex
2009-06-27, 01:26 AM
Its not unlimited - it costs 1 rage point each round to continue a rage, thus this simply makes it infinite-duration for incredibly long fights. Rage powers also cost rage points, a moderate/high amount at that. The chant simply makes it less of a worry of running out of rage time when you pull off your stuff.

I see. Seems fair enough, as long as he doesn't have anything else he wants to be spending his swift actions on.

As for the granite body idea of yours - No. Then it would not scale with power levels, which is against the entire concept of the legendary classes powers scaling with levels. And thats pretty much what the granite body ability does already - if your stupid enough to break the bosses weapon thats better then yours, its your own dang fault.

That was an "in addition to" suggestion. By the time you take your first level in this class, few things with mundane weapons are going to much of a threat, anyway.

As for your immunity to damage/death idea - again, no. Once again, it doesnt scale with power levels.

Well, considering that the number of death effects that monsters and casters are throwing around, not to mention the huge amounts of damage things like dragons or fiends can put out, I would say it scales exceptionally well. :smallbiggrin:

As for the size boost - HELL no. Ive already gotten into more arguments over sizes the last month i could pull my hair out. I wish everything was medium size! -snickers- :smallamused:

Do you run 3.0? Because 3.5 has super easy size rules. Besides, wouldn't it be cool if you could wield a tree while in a rage? Or wrestling a dragon in an AMF.

Your PrC needs more than static bonuses that "scale with power". Getting +2 damage/ level isn't scaling with power. It's getting a bit more of a crappy mechanic you already have plenty of. What you really need, especially at the higher levels, are ways to get around things like lava or freezing fog. This poor fellow would be totally stymied by a level one spell- Grease!

In fact, he was no way to get around battlefield control spells. Walls of force, any of the solid fog-type spells, even web, are no-save shut downs for this poor fellow. At least with the new rage mechanics,he can turn rage off for a round to tell his boots of flying to fly.

Melee already has enough sources of damage. Give him something unique.