PDA

View Full Version : Did Shojo "confess?" and on dumb questions in general

Fitzclowningham
2009-06-23, 09:59 PM
I'm rereading the archives, and noticed that in #405 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0405.html) Shojo talks about "a promise by a guy who's been dead for decades..."

I got the impression that Miko, and possibly Hinjo, might have interpreted that as referring to Xykon. It would depend on how much of the conversation they overheard. I think at least Miko assumed it was Xykon, and it contributed to her certainty that Shojo was evil. Anyone else think so?

(Or maybe they only overheard panel 12 and maybe 11.)

On a related note...

I'd like there to be a "Dumb Questions" folder for people to ask questions about old strips, or anything that is likely to already have been answered or extensively discussed in the forums. It'd be a good way to keep redundant/uninteresting posts off the front page, and regulars could get karma points by visiting and helping out once in a while.

Blackjackg
2009-06-23, 10:04 PM
He talks about the promise in the context of stating that it doesn't mean anything to him. For Miko to assume he's evil, it makes more sense to assume he's talking about a promise made by someone who's good. Or at least lawful. I suspect they reached their conclusions (or at least Hinjo did) by understanding that statement exactly the way he intended it.

[TS] Shadow
2009-06-23, 10:11 PM
For the Paladins (Miko and Hinjo included) it's more of an honor thing regarding Soon's oath. They'd be ticked if Shojo broke the oath, even though he was technically never bound by it. It didn't have to do anything with Xykon.

Forbiddenwar
2009-06-23, 10:19 PM
As for what was overheard, Hinjo and Miko must have overheard from panel 7-12, at least, since Miko refers to Shojo asking Belker for approval in panel 7.

So Miko and Hinjo must have known that shojo was refering to the paladin oath of noninterference as the promise of a dead guy.

Dark Matter
2009-06-23, 10:30 PM
So Miko and Hinjo must have known that shojo was refering to the paladin oath of noninterference as the promise of a dead guy.A dead guy who is *still* the head of their order, and maybe even the acting head.

Blackjackg
2009-06-23, 10:37 PM
A dead guy who is *still* the head of their order, and maybe even the acting head.

Yeah, but Miko wouldn't have known that. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0449.html) Oddly, Shojo did, and yet he chose to undermine the SG right under Soon's incorporeal nose...

EDIT: Oh wait... Soon doesn't have a nose.

theinsulabot
2009-06-23, 10:50 PM
Yeah, but Miko wouldn't have known that. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0449.html) Oddly, Shojo did, and yet he chose to undermine the SG right under Soon's incorporeal nose...

EDIT: Oh wait... Soon doesn't have a nose.

shojo's motives were practically the last things he ever said. everything he did, he did for the good of his city. if soon couldnt understand that, likely, in shojo's eyes, probably the 12 gods would. shojo was one of the few people other then the order activly working to keep the gates secure, going through no small amount of effort, expense, and personal risk in his attempt. his death was a horrible loss for the forces of good, however wacky or zany he might otherwise of appeared

Optimystik
2009-06-24, 01:24 AM
I'd like there to be a "Dumb Questions" folder for people to ask questions about old strips, or anything that is likely to already have been answered or extensively discussed in the forums. It'd be a good way to keep redundant/uninteresting posts off the front page, and regulars could get karma points by visiting and helping out once in a while.

I suggest you read this. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79726)

factotum
2009-06-24, 01:32 AM
I agree with the_insulabot here; Soon would understand Shojo's actions were in the best interests of the city, even if he didn't approve of them. Of course, that's assuming that Soon was actually around at that point, although a bonus strip in War and XPs suggests that he was.

Morquard
2009-06-24, 02:45 AM
I think while Soon himself was bound by the Oath he was smart enough to realise that when two gates already fell to the same guy, and both Epic level guardians have been killed in the process, that the Oath maybe was a mistake.
He'd still be bound by it and couldn't interfere himself, but he might fully aprove of Shojo's actions of sending the OotS after the other two gates to make sure the same thing doesn't happen there.
I'm not sure how the Oath works, but he might actually have sent them himself if he was still around.

Maybe he even orchestrated that the rulers following him wouldn't be Paladins themselves, for the very reason that they're not bound by the Oath. (thats a far stretch though)

NerfTW
2009-06-24, 08:14 AM
On a related note...

There's really not that many. At best, you could just make a "What was that plot point again?" thread like what happened with the "Jokes you didn't get" thread, and hope everyone uses it. But there's really not a whole lot of spam these days, as long as everyone uses clear and descriptive subjects.

Kish
2009-06-24, 08:17 AM
Shadow;6353702']For the Paladins (Miko and Hinjo included) it's more of an honor thing regarding Soon's oath. They'd be ticked if Shojo broke the oath, even though he was technically never bound by it.
Wasn't bound by it? You don't need to be a paladin to be bound by an oath you've taken, and Shojo told Roy he had taken the oath.

Snake-Aes
2009-06-24, 08:27 AM
Wasn't bound by it? You don't need to be a paladin to be bound by an oath you've taken, and Shojo told Roy he had taken the oath.

Shojo did break the Oath.

theinsulabot
2009-06-24, 10:57 AM
I agree with the_insulabot here; Soon would understand Shojo's actions were in the best interests of the city, even if he didn't approve of them. Of course, that's assuming that Soon was actually around at that point, although a bonus strip in War and XPs suggests that he was.

thats not quite what i was saying, i very seriously doubt soon WOULD of agreed with shojo's actions. my thing was that in shojo's mind, soon wasnt the top level of authority, the twelve god's were. so even if soon, the patron saint of the saphire guard disagreed, likely the 12 gods would accept his actions as nessasary to protect azure city. (not to mention themselves, personally. the snarl is involved after all)