PDA

View Full Version : Bladefrost

Ozzy_G
2006-07-28, 05:07 PM
This is a campaign setting I wrote about a year or two ago, and is posted on www.community3e.com.
It's set in a kind of arctic continent, and has several new races and classes.
You can download it here (http://www.community3e.com/dn/settings/BladefrostCampaign.pdf), and I was hoping to hear what people think of it.

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-07-28, 06:25 PM
This looks good and thorough.

On a personal taste note, I've always preferred my historical information to be split between Player and DM, and given after a very brief summary of the current status quo. Putting the detailed history at the front of the campaign setting tends to make people (or maybe just me) skip to the crunchy stuff. It would help to group information like this in terms of Knowledge check DCs - as a parallel, not everyone in the UK knows the causes of the First World War.

Your issues with alignment are significant, and I agree, it's awful to have subterfuge ruined by an easy spell - but there are other ways of avoiding this, like scrapping the detection spells. Detect Lies and Detect Thoughts are just as bad and they don't rely on alignments.

The Prestige classes might be beter placed in the Classes chapter, with a reference to the page describing the region / culture / organisation they're relevant to.

We could do with a bunch of plot hooks for your detailed regions if you plan to make this campaign setting public.

Lastly, you've used a whole bunch of non-Open GAme material, and put the Open Game License at the end. As long as you don't try to profit from this, that'll be fine - but certain coastal wizards might take umbrage if you use their pet classes...

Hey - if all I have to criticize is layout and stuff, you've done good!

Ozzy_G
2006-07-28, 07:18 PM
Actually I didn't put it at the end, the guy who runs Community3e did. I confess I don't really understand what the license has to be added to.
In the setting I'm doing at the moment, I have the prestige classes in a section just after the classes, and I think you're right, it works better. I probably should do the same here.

Ishmayl
2006-07-28, 08:26 PM
It looks nice, Ozzy; do you have it in html format anywhere though? My computer doesn't really like pdfs for some reason :(