PDA

View Full Version : Updating DDI Character Builder

Mauril Everleaf
2009-06-23, 11:43 PM
So I am having to use an internet cafe to get internet access for the time being, so I am unable to plug my laptop in to the interweb. This is fine, since I have my USB flash drive with me to transport most things from my lappy to the cafe compy. However, sitting in my room at night, I sometimes want to build up some new DnD characters. I know that there have been updates to the 4e Character Builder since I was last able to access the internet on my lappy.

Basically, I was wondering if there was any way to download just the update onto my thumb drive and then update the character builder from it? I've tried downloading the full version again, but to get the update, it requires internet access still.

Alteran
2009-06-23, 11:57 PM
Would it be possible to load the character builder onto the USB key and run it, and then update it onto the key? I know it's possible to run some programs off of USB keys. Keep in mind, I'm quite tired and not thinking perfectly straight. I'm sort of thinking that my suggestion isn't possible.

Thajocoth
2009-06-24, 12:08 AM
Not legally, no. It's got all sorts of registry stuff to prevent piracy because WotC is more worried about preventing the people who wouldn't buy their stuff either way from playing than they are about making things easier for their loyal customers.

So the only way to get such a patch file would be through piracy avenues, which they'd still probably consider bad despite the fact that you'd only be torrenting content you're already paying them for.

-----

Re-reading the above, I sound bitter. I'm not, really... You lose so much when you lose intonation. I'm just a thorough explainer.