PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Final Fantasy-esque Dragoon?

The Professor
2009-06-24, 01:07 AM
I'm AFB right now, otherwise I would certain do it myself, but I'm struck by inspiration for a character and I'm piecing things together.

Namely, is there a way to build a character who leaps into the air and comes crashing back down on top of you with a spear? And is there a way to build such a character to have that actually be a viable tactic in combat?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hat-Trick
2009-06-24, 01:11 AM
I remember seeing a homebrew prestige class on Dandwiki.com, I believe. It was the Lancer, which did what you want, plus gaining a dragon companion.

ex cathedra
2009-06-24, 01:13 AM
I found an old thread you might be interested in.

http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-367957

Random NPC
2009-06-24, 01:14 AM
Warblade with Tiger Claw maneuvers :smallbiggrin:

Tome of Battle: Making your cool characters a reality without much hassle

ex cathedra
2009-06-24, 01:19 AM
Uh.. and It seems that link just went down. Anyways, I would suggest using scout/leap attack/charging for damage, while pimping your jump checks. Vassal of Bahamut also goes well with the theme, but don't take more than 1 or 2 levels. You may also inevitably have to find a way to avoid fall damage, but I don't recall any ways to mitigate that offhand, that will retain the coolness aspect (that is, feather fall would be lame.)

Hat-Trick
2009-06-24, 01:25 AM
You're essentially standing on the spearhead as it pierces the helmet and skull of your opponent. You're cushioned, for the most part (in other words, rule of cool it as long as you're just falling the height you jumped).

The Professor
2009-06-24, 01:26 AM
Yeah, I was about to comment on the dead link. Thanks for the quick responses guys!

@Hat-Trick: I'll give that a once-over, then, thanks.

@Random NPC: But it feels so wrong to use Tiger Claw and not duel-wield. :smallyuk:

Emy
2009-06-24, 01:31 AM
HOW HAS THIS NOT BEEN LINKED YET?! (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1102695)

edit: 339 isn't loading for me right now, but I'm almost certain that's "Little Red Raiding Hood: A Tale of & Guide to the 3.5 Dragoon".

edit #2: Yep. It is.

ex cathedra
2009-06-24, 01:36 AM
You're essentially standing on the spearhead as it pierces the helmet and skull of your opponent. You're cushioned, for the most part (in other words, rule of cool it as long as you're just falling the height you jumped).

Agreed.

Also, my link is back up; I suggest checking out Tempest Stormwind's build down the page and going from there.

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-24, 02:55 AM
On Dragoon: Psychic Warrior X in Adamantine full plate. Now simply increase jump checks(possibly with Martial Stance for Leaping Dragon Stance or something else), then manifest Expansion at whatever the highest possible size for you. Large: Multiply your weight by eight. Huge: Multiply by sixteen. If you're Large already, then you get Gargantuan for thirty-two times your base weight. Be something naturally heavy. Orc, Half-Orc or dwarf works fine here. Then jump and fall on top of your enemy.

Your enemy takes damage equal to the damage an object of your weight would deal when it falls. Somewhere there are calculations on this, but it's something in the 100s of d6s at just level 8 or so.

J.Gellert
2009-06-24, 03:22 AM
I haven't played FF, but... the Blade Dancer from Rokugan Campaign Setting gets +10, +20, and up to +30 bonus to jump and tumble as he levels up, can even use Air Walk once per day, and gains a bonus on attack when he jumps on his opponent. Not an impressive bonus, but you could combine that with another class at a higher level.

Fluff says "swords" but I don't see why you couldn't change the requirements to spears, generally spears are inferior weapons anyway.

Yuki Akuma
2009-06-24, 03:29 AM
Jump Leap Attack (Complete Warrior?) and/or Tiger Claw Warblade (Tome of Battle).

Get a spear.

Done. :P

AslanCross
2009-06-24, 03:30 AM
Warblade with Tiger Claw maneuvers :smallbiggrin:

Tome of Battle: Making your cool characters a reality without much hassle

I'd go with this, personally. That way you're not a one-trick pony and yet still get exactly what you want. Tiger Claw has an entire line of "jump on enemy from above" maneuvers. Heck, its ultimate technique is a "jump on enemy, he saves and takes damage or dies" maneuver. It also has a stance that allows you to jump without needing a running start.

Get Power Attack and Leap Attack.

DragoonWraith
2009-06-24, 08:26 AM
Haha, I was thinking this myself. Awesome.

AslanCross
2009-06-24, 08:43 AM
But it feels so wrong to use Tiger Claw and not duel-wield. :smallyuk:

Tiger Claw goes two ways: TWF or leap attacking. Some of its favored weapons are two-handed weapons. The discipline favors outright mauling of any sort, be it through a thousand cuts or a single mighty cleave from the air.

Zeta Kai
2009-06-24, 01:36 PM
I feel obliged to plug my version of the Lancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4312816#post4312816) from FFXd20. Especially in conjunction with the Ronso Rage Overdrive (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4475841#post4475841). Enjoy.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-24, 05:46 PM
I recommend the use of Combat brute or Shocktrooper.
Leap attack: Use a 3:1 power attack with a 2 hander
Combat brute has a maneuver to help you in the round AFTER you charge: You power attack again at 3:1, but this time you get a full round of attacks. Especially good if you DM won't let you go Spirit lion totem barbarian.

Alternatively, use 2 one handed weapons and Two Weapon pounce. Still power attack for 2:1 on a charge, but you attack twice.
Follow up again with combat brute for 2:1 power attack

Faleldir
2009-06-24, 06:28 PM
Tiger Claw goes two ways: TWF or leap attacking. Some of its favored weapons are two-handed weapons. The discipline favors outright mauling of any sort, be it through a thousand cuts or a single mighty cleave from the air.
In fact, using Raging Mongoose with one weapon can be devastating for a charger build.

Ashdate
2009-06-24, 06:30 PM

I wanted to point out that Kain from FFIV actually "jumps" on his enemies head first.

- Eddie