PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Heavy infentry class

oxinabox
2009-06-24, 01:36 AM
I'm working on a heavy infantry class for a d20 (dnd 3.5) variant.
It's going to be heavily variant using different rulrs for magic, among other things. Maybe even different rules for AC.
Also differnt rules for trip cos d20 trip sucks bad (esp when surounded by a large construct wit hreach and 7 zombies...)

The TC (total conversion) will be a setting + a large series of varient rules designed to work together. something like a cross between the "Tome of awesome" and "Dragonlance campaign guide". heck it might (in the end) be based of GURPS, except the roll under system bugs me.

But heres one of the classes that's base compatible.
The TC, of called Malaz, and is based of Steven erikson's Malazan book of the fallen.

This class is ment to represent the heavy infantry (Duh) of there armies.
Like Rangers get bonuses only while wearing light armour.
Heavy infantry get bonuses only while using towershields or wearing Heavy Armour.

in this setting one of the things heavy infantty is know for is going in with light infantry or marines* to provide cover.
But i need some help deciding how my class features aree goint to work and what level is balanced for them.
And which of the alternivies is should use, - i've thought of differnet ways to implement the features (same fluff, different mechanic)
I also need better names for the class features. some i like, Eg "Stand Your Ground" but most are too long winded.

I've noticed that my class features resembles being a dwarf a bit, but my setting doesn't have dwarves. possibly i should include options so that if you have similar features (say from being a dwarf... ) you get improved version?

* (A specialized class, cross beween rogue, light infantry and anyone who wields big frigging crossbows)

THe Next thread i will copntai nthe lattest version of the class.
The one after that will contain the original version of the class. (so i'll look like a double post

does anyone know the class that has towershield proffiency as standard? I think it's an NPC class...

oxinabox
2009-06-24, 01:37 AM
Latest version:
v.02

Description:

This is the Heavy infantry solder. You go in, you knock down the door, knock down the wall if you have to. You go in, and head for the goal. they hit you, you keep walking, they block your path, you cut them down and keep walking. they set the building on fire, YOU KEEP WALKING!
Do you understand, man?
Well shut up, we don't pay you to understand, We pay you to get hit!
Now Drop, on the ground! Wear's your shield?
50 Laps round the yard, double paced march, in full plate, and if your not finished before i get back, I'ld better not see you here taking up space.
Now Move Slaggard!

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies:
Heavy infantry are proficient with al simple and martial weapons, with heavy armour (only) and with all shields including TowerShields.

Same attack, and save progression as a fighter - the "Good progression".

Class features:

LVL 1) I've done a lot of miles in this armour
You take half the usual penalty to speed when wearing heavy armour.
LVL 1) Your momma ain't here too look after you anymore
You can done half-plate or full plate without assistance (in 4 minutes). and with assistance you can do it in half the usual time (ie in 2 minutes).
You can Don it hastily in 2 minutes, or hastily with assistance in 1 minute.

Lvl_) used to this shield
You don't take a penalty to attack from carrying a towershield.

Lvl1) Stand Your Ground
If Carrying a towershield you get +8 (stacks with stability) to resist forced movement.
ALternative Get satability, if you already have stability get imporved stability: +6 to aviod being tripped or moved by bull rush.

[B]Lvl_) Break Down the doors [B]
You get a +6 strength bonus when trying to:
Knock down a Door, Damage/destroy an object, break open a lock.
However you must put down your shield to do so.

[B]Lvl X) Shield Wall [B]
To gain benifits of this feature you must be using a towersheild.
You have a facing. you select your facing at then end of a move action.
Or you can select your facing as a move action
You can have a 45 degree facing.
You don';t have to walk or attack in the drection of your facing, i'ts just where your shield is facing.
You select upto 2 squares to be shielded, Both adjacent to yours, each of are either to you left ore your right or behind you but not directly behind you. (if behind both must be behind
If this is confusing i can maybe make a picture.

Umm: ) is blank, S is sheilded, X is you
SOO
OXO
OOS
or
OOO
OXO
OOO
or
OOO
OXO
SOS
or
OOO
SXS
OOO

The occupents of these squares, recieve a +1 Dodge bonus to there AC.
This allows prottected militairy formations, such as the Spearpoint and the Box (and there for the turtle, with the people in the middle using the total cover function of the towersheild)
And also the Police Riot shield Line.
The dodge bonus increases to +2 at level X+5, and to +3 at lvl X+10

Lvl Y) Clangs off you armour, Clangs off your Armour
Your better and wearing armour. you know how to stand so that the vunerable area's of your armour are minimized:
the AC Bonus of any Heavy armour you wear is increased by 1.
This increases by 1 at every third lvl after Y.

I'm also thinking of a ability to sell some of your skill points to decrease your Armour check penalty.
Maybe a point Buysystem?
Maybe you should only be allowed to spend skill points equal to your leval in this way.

I'm also thinking of a feat:
Lightened Load
If Your load decreases from Heavy to Light,
After bearing a Heavy load for 4 or more hours
You get +4 bonus to strength and Dex

oxinabox
2009-06-24, 02:21 AM
version 0.2, first posted version:

Description:

This is the Heavy infantry solder. You go in, you knock down the door, knock down the wall if you have to. You go in, and head for the goal. they hit you, you keep walking, they block your path, you cut them down and keep walking. they set the building on fire, YOU KEEP WALKING!
Do you understand, man?
Well shut up, we don't pay you to understand, We pay you to get hit!
Now Drop, on the ground! Wear's your shield?
50 Laps round the yard, double paced march, in full plate, and if your not finished before i get back, I'ld better not see you here taking up space.
Now Move Slaggard!

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies:
Heavy infantry are proficient with al simple and martial weapons, with heavy armour (only) and with all shields including TowerShields.

Same attack, and save progression as a fighter - the "Good progression".

Class features:

LVL 1) I've done a lot of miles in this armour
You take half the usual penalty to speed when wearing heavy armour.
LVL 1) Your momma ain't here too look after you anymore
You can done half-plate or full plate without assistance (in 4 minutes). and with assistance you can do it in half the usual time (ie in 2 minutes).
You can Don it hastily in 2 minutes, or hastily with assistance in 1 minute.

Lvl_) used to this shield
You don't take a penalty to attack from carrying a towershield.

Lvl1) Stand Your Ground
If Carrying a towershield you get +8 (stacks with stability) to resist forced movement.
ALternative Get satability, if you already have stability get imporved stability: +6 to aviod being tripped or moved by bull rush.

Lvl_) Break Down the doors
You get a +6 strength bonus when trying to:
Knock down a Door, Damage/destroy an object, break open a lock.
However you must put down your shield to do so.

Lvl X) Shield Wall
To gain benifits of this feature you must be using a towersheild.
You have a facing. you select your facing at then end of a move action.
Or you can select your facing as a move action
You can have a 45 degree facing.
You don';t have to walk or attack in the drection of your facing, i'ts just where your shield is facing.
You select upto 2 squares to be shielded, Both adjacent to yours, each of are either to you left ore your right or behind you but not directly behind you. (if behind both must be behind
If this is confusing i can maybe make a picture.

Umm: ) is blank, S is sheilded, X is you
SOO
OXO
OOS
or
OOO
OXO
OOO
or
OOO
OXO
SOS
or
OOO
SXS
OOO

The occupents of these squares, recieve a +1 Dodge bonus to there AC.
This allows prottected militairy formations, such as the Spearpoint and the Box (and there for the turtle, with the people in the middle using the total cover function of the towersheild)
And also the Police Riot shield Line.
The dodge bonus increases to +2 at level X+5, and to +3 at lvl X+10

Lvl Y) Clangs off you armour, Clangs off your Armour
Your better and wearing armour. you know how to stand so that the vunerable area's of your armour are minimized:
the AC Bonus of any Heavy armour you wear is increased by 1.
This increases by 1 at every third lvl after Y.

I'm also thinking of a ability to sell some of your skill points to decrease your Armour check penalty.
Maybe a point Buysystem?
Maybe you should only be allowed to spend skill points equal to your leval in this way.

I'm also thinking of a feat:
Lightened Load
If Your load decreases from Heavy to Light,
After bearing a Heavy load for 4 or more hours
You get +4 bonus to strength and Dex

Anyway.
I needd suggestions, as you can see its pretty rough