PDA

View Full Version : New type of time stop[magic]

Arakune
2006-02-21, 02:17 PM
something like: the time REALY stops (even the flow of light stop) and you can do half of the damage instead no damage at all.

OzymandiasVolt
2006-02-21, 02:24 PM
Okay, first of all to actually stop ALL time EVERYWHERE would be something even a greater deity would have a hard time doing.

Second, being able to do anything while time is stopped would be impossible, since you'd be stopped too. Basically, even if it works, you'd never know because to you nothing happened.

Arakune
2006-02-21, 02:27 PM
looks stupid in the first case, but it's just an game, and i'm not saing that anyone will use it all the time. maybe some epic mages? or a condenced range (like 1~5 km range or less). and, of course, the caster don't stop. Ever played Chrono Trigger?

Don Beegles
2006-02-21, 02:34 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that the point of Timestop. You stop time. As for the half damage instead of none, any mage who wants to deal damage with Timestop will have Delayed Blast Fireball. Most of the time Timestop is a time to rebuff.

Yuki Akuma
2006-02-21, 02:44 PM
Actually, Chipmunk, when you cast Time Stop you speed yourself up... it's like Super Haste. This is why I prefer the psionic name, Temporal Acceleration.

Rei_Jin
2006-02-21, 02:56 PM
Even as an Epic character you can't stop time everywhere. You can move yourself back, or forward, or stay in the same spot for up to 5 rounds, but stopping time entirely?

I think the GODS might have something to say about that.

It's like using a wish to ask that no-one would ever hurt you again.

You are now shunted outside of time. No-one will ever be able to hurt you again. Only problem is that now you're stuck outside of time, and the universe will continue on without you.

Have fun!

Things that are crazy powerful (ie. beyond what the gods are capable of) just can't work. The best you could get is the DM screwing with you over it.

Arakune
2006-02-21, 03:07 PM
hum... maybe the temporal aceleration suits fine, but more faster than lighting itself?

Harnryd
2006-02-21, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't recommend it. Time stop is disruptive enough as it is - not necessarily unbalanced, but it disrupts the flow of the game seriously.

On another forum I frequent, there is currently a thread about things that work really well in books, games, TV-series etc, but don't work in regular RPGs. I'm afraid stopping all the time in the Whatever-verse except for one PC belongs to this category.

tis_tom
2006-07-28, 02:59 PM
I can't help thinking that moving any faster than light from a spell has no more purpose than just the regular timestop where you just go incredibly fast.

If you DID do a spell to entirely stop time save just yourself, you wouldn't be able to do any attacks or affect anything at all, as time is the term used for causality, so if you hit someone with your axe time would exist as it would be measuring you moving your axe...

ok I'm thinking way too much into this. I'd like to say "it's just a game!" but a spell like that sounds far too powerful to even be fair, i find timestop as it is too powerful, especially considering you can cast them in succession for about 15 rounds of free hits! (15 maximised cones of cold = dead anything!) if anything timestop needs to be toned down!

(p.s I'm using my knowledge from neverwinter nights, so i'm VERY sorry if I'm discussing stuff I don't know enough about in regular dnd rules)

The Glyphstone
2006-07-28, 03:19 PM
I i find timestop as it is too powerful, especially considering you can cast them in succession for about 15 rounds of free hits! (15 maximised cones of cold = dead anything!) if anything timestop needs to be toned down!

(p.s I'm using my knowledge from neverwinter nights, so i'm VERY sorry if I'm discussing stuff I don't know enough about in regular dnd rules)

DOn't worry - Timestop isn't as bad in real D&D. It's a 9th level spell, so any non-Epic caster will only have, at most, two or three to cast (6 if a sorcerer), and you can't damage anyone during the duration of the spell. Delayed Blast Fireball or Delay Spell metamagic works, but that has a maximum of 5 rounds.