PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Helpful and/or interesting items for a Warlock

revolver kobold
2009-06-24, 03:09 AM
I'll be bringing a Hellfire Warlock into an 18th level game shortly. I'm looking for some suggestions as to what wands, scrolls and other items to make the most out of the Warlocks UMD abilities.

The party make up consists of a Psion, Master of Many Forms/Warshaper, and a Paladin (using OneWingedAngels home brew Paladin from the Wizards boards).

Also: Me, the DM and the Paladin player have it sorted so me playing a Warlock won't cause any problems in game. We are a rather mature bunch of gamers (most of the time), so please keep the "OMG a Walock and a Paladin WTF?!" comments to a minimum.

Cheers.

Myrmex
2009-06-24, 03:19 AM
How are you handling ability damage?
Do you have weapons of legacy? If so, you can get TONS of damage out of hellfire warlock and legacy champion (or some prestige class like that).

revolver kobold
2009-06-24, 03:26 AM
Taking a level of Binder, Binding Nabarius. The usual way. :smallsmile:

I don't have Weapons of Legacy myself, but the DM has played around with it before earlier in the campaign, and in some of his other games too. Whats the deal with Legacy Champion?

AslanCross
2009-06-24, 03:43 AM
Get a wand of lesser restoration to offset your Hellfire Warlock's CON-eating.
-The warlock's scepter (MIC) has a number of charges that you can expend to boost your Eldritch Blast's damage. The charges renew every day.
-The greater chasuble of fell power (MIC, 18k GP) will boost your Eldritch Blast even more.
-Get a few eternal wands for buffs that last a long time (say, shield), so you can save more in the long term.
-Gloves of eldritch admixture does the same as the warlock's scepter, except it adds fire, acid or cold damage.

Malacode
2009-06-24, 03:54 AM
Legacy Champion continues advancement of all your previous class features. Including EB. You can get a Hellfire Blast of 18d6 or something by taking three levels of Legacy Champion after finishing off Hellfire 'Lock. Chuck in a Vitriollic Eldritch Glaive and suddenly you've run out of dice.

PrismaticPIA
2009-06-24, 09:40 AM
If your dm allows buyoff, be a pixie, take the invocations that allow you to detach your eyes and hands, go invisible, have your detached appendages sit on your paladin's shoulders, sit back from a safe distance, and laugh at your enemies' confused faces when beams of eldritch pain shoot from paladin.

Malacode
2009-06-24, 09:46 AM
It's even better when you pull a Kryten and attach the eye -to- the hand. Just be sure you don't get mistaken for a tarantula.
Your Fine body parts make a better party scout/infiltrator than most things, and still retain a lot of useful 24hr buffs and your Eldritch Blast... And shatter at will, heheheh.

Duke of URL
2009-06-24, 09:54 AM
It should be automatic, but I'll suggest a Circlet or Persuasion -- +3 to all CHA checks, which includes UMD. Stack that with beguiling influence and a dedication to increasing CHA, and you can bluff, diplomize, and intimidate pretty much at will (ranks + 9 + CHA modifier).

Legacy Champion continues advancement of all your previous class features. Including EB. You can get a Hellfire Blast of 18d6 or something by taking three levels of Legacy Champion after finishing off Hellfire 'Lock. Chuck in a Vitriollic Eldritch Glaive and suddenly you've run out of dice.

Legacy Champion is not supposed to work like that, regardless of what the RAW is. Still a potent combination, even without the extra 12d6, though.

If your dm allows buyoff, be a pixie

At 18th level, you'd get to buy off 1 LA of pixie. (At 12th, to be exact.)

Pixie is still a good choice for a Warlock, though, albeit one that becomes less good at the higher levels. The loss of 2 dark invocations is pretty harsh, although the pixie racial features are quite attractive.