PDA

View Full Version : Question about undead dragon

Morquard
2009-06-24, 04:07 AM
I'm reading through some older strips and came upon #639 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html) in which V resurrects the dragon and casts Familicide.
Well except he's not resurecting it, he's creating an undead head using "Create Greater Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/creategreaterundead.htm)".

Now, all undead we have seen so far, with the exception of Xykon, have been either mindless (zombies) or while intelligent didn't really seem to remember their former life and were under the control of the caster (one of the resistance members gets turned into an undead and then attacks his former friends).

The description of the spell also indicates nothing that the created undead will in any way have memories or personality traits of thier alive self.

However the Dragon is very much the one that was just killed, her soul even got ripped out of the afterlife, something thats not possible with resurrection even (has to be willing to come back).

So how does that fit together there?

Murdim
2009-06-24, 04:23 AM
So how does that fit together there?Rule 0 of tabletop Role Playing Games. The DM, i.e the author, i.e the Giant, has the right to change any rule or make up his own.

If memory serves, this issue has already been discussed, and there was no way you can do this with Create Greater Undead by RAW/RAI.

Morquard
2009-06-24, 04:30 AM
Ok, houserule explains pretty much everything of course :)

I was just wondering if maybe it was in the normal rules somewhere and I just missed it.

Thanks

Snake-Aes
2009-06-24, 05:17 AM
Ok, houserule explains pretty much everything of course :)

I was just wondering if maybe it was in the normal rules somewhere and I just missed it.

ThanksNope, that CGU was indeed completely outside any game rule.

FeAnPi
2009-06-24, 05:25 AM
Well, some created undead retain a bit of memory of their former lifes.

And the member of the resistance received orders from his master, thus he attacked his former companion.

hamishspence
2009-06-24, 11:43 AM
Corpse Creature (BoVD). Ju-ju Zombie (Unapproachable East)- both createable using the Creat Greater Undead spell. Both intelligent undead that retain all the memories of their life. Its not clear whether this is because their soul has been called back, or not.

Optimystik
2009-06-24, 11:45 AM
Her soul has clearly been called back: "I was with my family!" All the rules say is that it has to be intelligent, so what we have here is artistic license by the Giant that fits within those rules.