PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Games

Lord Mancow
2009-06-24, 04:36 AM
I have recently been thinking about different computer games to purchase and it struck me that I have not yet played any Warhammer Fantasy games. I am a big fan of DoW and the WH40K setting but don't know much about Fantasy.

I have looked at Mark of Chaos but can't find any others and I don't want to play an MMORPG (Age of Reckoning). I would also like any games that feature large scale combat of armies. If you know the RECOMMENDED specs for any games please post them.

Thanks.

Revlid
2009-06-24, 05:47 AM
I enjoyed the Civilization III mod for Warhammer Fantasy.
That counts, I guess.

JellyPooga
2009-06-24, 07:25 AM
Only ones I know of are Shadow of the Horned Rat and it's sequel Dark Omens (not sure on the title of the sequel though). Both are OLD games so whilst you'll not have trouble running them, you will have trouble finding them! They're both Real-Time Strategic games (not to be confused with Command and Conquer clone RTS) where you control a mercenary army.

Biggest problem with them? You can only be Human (with the exception of the odd elven or dwarven regiment or if you take the time to alter the game files, which while easy to do, can be a little buggy and doesn't makes sense story-wise).

Dr. Bath
2009-06-24, 12:20 PM
You can get elven and dwarven regiments just by playing the game... (admittedly the game is really hard).

There have been a lot more 40k games than there have been Fantasy. Two turn-based squad level games are Chaos Gate (Space Marines) and Rites of War (Eldar)

Final Liberation is the last one I can think of, and it's awesome. It's Epic 40k level, so you get everything from Grots to Titans in one turn-based little gaming disk. It's also really old and some units are pretty broken, still it is very fun (also multiplayer on one computer!) so might be worth a look if you can find it.

Fredthefighter
2009-06-24, 12:57 PM
While I don't find the armies in it to be massive (unless you play the Tyranids), Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II is an RTS that I enjoy. However, there are only two options for gameplay, these are campaign (where there is a lot of customisation for heroes, but you can only play Space Marines in this) or Multiplayer (where you can choose between Space Marines, Eldar, Tyranids and Orks, each of which has three different hero units). However, there are only two types of game in Multiplayer, "Annihilate" (where the objective is to destroy the enemy base/s) and "Victory Point Control" (where each team starts with 500 points and gaining control of the "Victory Structures", periodically reduces your opponent's points. You win when the other side has no more points).

Required Windows Specs for Dawn of War II are:
Processor: Pentium IV 3.2 GHz or any Dual Core Processor
Memory: 1 GB RAM (XP) 1.5 GB RAM (Vista), 5.5 GB free hard drive space
Video Card: Nvidia GeoForce 6600 GT or ATI X1600, 128 MB RAM, DirectX 9.0c

Dr. Bath
2009-06-24, 01:26 PM
Pst. Fred. He already said he liked Dawn of War. I would assume that means he has played it. :smalltongue:

Copper8642
2009-06-24, 01:32 PM
Maybe he hadn't played II?

Fredthefighter
2009-06-24, 01:55 PM
Pst. Fred. He already said he liked Dawn of War. I would assume that means he has played it. :smalltongue:

Whoops. I think I must've skipped that bit by accident (or thought that DoW meant something else, like pre-40K or something). Sorry.

Dr. Bath
2009-06-24, 01:57 PM
Maybe he hadn't played II?

Maybe, but to be honest, they are fairly similar. Although II is much better. I haven't had a chance to play orks in it, but I hear that don't have to stop making troops after about 20 minutes due to poor game design.

Lord Mancow
2009-06-24, 08:51 PM
I have played Dawn of War 1 bot not 2. I need a dual-core computer which is what is holding me back from a lot of other games right now. I also like the look of Mark of Chaos however the specs are a bit too high.

Does anyone know how you would compare the ability of dual-core computers to run games that give specs for single core computers. ie. does 2.2 gigahertz for a dual-core equal 3.0 gigahertz on a single core. This is more important for when I upgrade to dual-core and look at games like supreme commander and mark of chaos than right now.

P.S. the graphics in mark of chaos look quite good based on some gameplay from you tube.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-06-24, 09:23 PM
Here (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest) is a nifty little website that you might get some use out of. It basically determines if you can run a game by doing a sweep of your system.

Of course, you do have to take some of it with a grain of salt. Its not perfect and can't account for the billions of problems a computer can come up with.

Erloas
2009-06-25, 09:20 AM
I have played Dawn of War 1 bot not 2. I need a dual-core computer which is what is holding me back from a lot of other games right now. I also like the look of Mark of Chaos however the specs are a bit too high.

Does anyone know how you would compare the ability of dual-core computers to run games that give specs for single core computers. ie. does 2.2 gigahertz for a dual-core equal 3.0 gigahertz on a single core. This is more important for when I upgrade to dual-core and look at games like supreme commander and mark of chaos than right now.

P.S. the graphics in mark of chaos look quite good based on some gameplay from you tube.

Basically if a computer has requirements for a single core CPU then just about any dual core CPU can handle it. There is no way to directly translate the frequency of the two, but the way the dual cores are built compared to the single cores means that even slow dual cores run virtually everything faster then any of the single core CPUs out there.

At least for Intel I believe the Core2 chips are about twice as fast as the P4 chips clock for clock. So a Core2 around 2GHz would be as fast or faster even in single threaded applications as a 3.4GHz P4. Of course there are some applications where there are some exceptions, but that is mostly right.

If you are looking at building another computer, well, we can get into that if you are looking at doing that.

Erloas
2009-06-26, 01:27 PM
Speaking of Warhammer games, apparently Blood Bowl is released.
You can go to their site right now and download it.
http://bloodbowl.nexway.com/index2.html?REF=671981&Cur=840

Not sure how much it is because its listed in €, but not only that but it is listed at 42.89 € on the first page and 35.86 € on the second page when you click download.
edit: and now when I reloaded the page it shows $49.99 on both pages.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get it right away or not, but either way I can't until I get home from work.

Croverus
2009-06-26, 01:36 PM
What about Warhammer XBOX 360 games? :smallbiggrin:

Lukraak
2009-06-28, 04:44 AM
Speaking of Warhammer games, apparently Blood Bowl is released.
You can go to their site right now and download it.
http://bloodbowl.nexway.com/index2.html?REF=671981&Cur=840

Not sure how much it is because its listed in €, but not only that but it is listed at 42.89 € on the first page and 35.86 € on the second page when you click download.
edit: and now when I reloaded the page it shows $49.99 on both pages.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get it right away or not, but either way I can't until I get home from work.

I couldn't resist myself and did get that game.
Haven't played all that much of it, but I'm enjoying it a lot.
The turn-based version really captures bloodbowl as you'd normally play it.
I haven't tried the Realtime side yet, so couldn't comment on that.
The commentators are fun and well done, although they are a bit repetitive. Not horrendous, but it is noticable, but then again I guess sports games always will have that a bit.
Graphics are nice, although at max lvl they had odd shading and colouring, so I had to tone that down a bit.
On my comp the load time for the pitch is quite long (about 1-2 mins), but during play I have no lag.
Online I still have to try.

But I personally considerer it money well spent, especially if you like the game

Gamerlord
2009-06-29, 10:02 AM
While I don't find the armies in it to be massive (unless you play the Tyranids), Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II is an RTS that I enjoy. However, there are only two options for gameplay, these are campaign (where there is a lot of customisation for heroes, but you can only play Space Marines in this) or Multiplayer (where you can choose between Space Marines, Eldar, Tyranids and Orks, each of which has three different hero units). However, there are only two types of game in Multiplayer, "Annihilate" (where the objective is to destroy the enemy base/s) and "Victory Point Control" (where each team starts with 500 points and gaining control of the "Victory Structures", periodically reduces your opponent's points. You win when the other side has no more points).

Required Windows Specs for Dawn of War II are:
Processor: Pentium IV 3.2 GHz or any Dual Core Processor
Memory: 1 GB RAM (XP) 1.5 GB RAM (Vista), 5.5 GB free hard drive space
Video Card: Nvidia GeoForce 6600 GT or ATI X1600, 128 MB RAM, DirectX 9.0c

Ummmm.....out of sheer curiosity could my computer run that game if it can run ,say, Elder scrolls 4?

But anyway, Blood bowl sounds like a game of sheer awesomeness:smallsmile:, I myself plan on getting it soon!