PDA

View Full Version : Divine Ultimate Magus

arkol
2009-06-24, 09:52 AM
Not necessarly an Ultimate Magus, but a prestige that advances two divine classes at the same time? Anything of the like out there?

Pramxnim
2009-06-24, 10:05 AM
There's ErrantX's Divine Hierophant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5734855#post5734855), if your DM is not averse to homebrew :)

ErrantX
2009-06-24, 05:39 PM
Awesome, I totally got mentioned :P

But yeah, I was always bummed about there not being a UM version for divine casters so I made that one. If your DM allows it, I'd love to know what you think of it.

-X

Gaiyamato
2009-06-24, 09:35 PM
Been after one myself.

Might see about using your Divine UM myself.

EDIT: After reading it.
How would you qualify for it?
Does not seem to be many ways into the class.

Also it is just a slightly more higher powered UM but for divine. :P

Josh the Aspie
2009-06-24, 11:59 PM
Well I can definitely think of a few ways off hand.

You can get knowledge religion off of several priestly classes such as cleric, or favored soul.

As for Prepared: Cleric, Druid, Healer are all possibilities. There are also prestige classes offering prepared divine casting.

Spontaneous: Favored Soul and Spirit Shaman from Complete Divine both seem to fit the bill.

I'm sure there are other base classes that offer prepared divine casting.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-25, 12:02 AM
Awesome, I totally got mentioned :P

But yeah, I was always bummed about there not being a UM version for divine casters so I made that one. If your DM allows it, I'd love to know what you think of it.

-X

Looks like a cool class by the way.

Doc Roc
2009-06-25, 12:16 AM
Ardent + Archivist + http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b ?
== victory?

I don't know any good early entry tricks for it, but it's sorttttttaaa like a UM for divine ;)
Not really at all, but in a... who am I kidding. I just love Ardent.

ErrantX
2009-06-25, 01:55 AM
Well I can definitely think of a few ways off hand.

You can get knowledge religion off of several priestly classes such as cleric, or favored soul.

As for Prepared: Cleric, Druid, Healer are all possibilities. There are also prestige classes offering prepared divine casting.

Spontaneous: Favored Soul and Spirit Shaman from Complete Divine both seem to fit the bill.

I'm sure there are other base classes that offer prepared divine casting.

One could use Ur Priest and Archivist for the prepared side as well, and as far as spontaneous those are the only two Core/Complete classes that fit the bill, as well as the Mystic class from the 3.5 Dragonlance material.

Really, it's not a difficult class to get into, with entry reqs similar to Ultimate Magus.

Looks like a cool class by the way.

Many thanks :)

-X

Myrmex
2009-06-25, 03:16 AM
One could use Ur Priest and Archivist....

The latter, but not the former. If you have any divine casting, you must forsake it to be an ur-priest.

Gaiyamato
2009-06-25, 04:51 AM
Meh, Spirit Shaman is ok.
Favoured soul is my least favourite class fluff wise.
I can never work it into campaign worlds very well.
I think it is a horrid class for fluff.

Great class crunch wise.

This is also not the sort of prestige class a spirit shaman would often take fluff wise. Very much limiting it to Favoured souls for the most part rp wise.

Sure you could justify both of them in some way.
But when I think of the personality of the characters involved I cannot see these guys taking it.

The prestige class works better for those who would be a cleric of certain gods and archivists. Some more bookish Paladins as well.

The Arcane UM works because of the broad way sorcerers work and the bookish approach that wizards take. Arcane casting is about power.
Divine casting is about faith and inner development. It is about forming mystical links to spirits and/or divine beings, understand the soul of the universe instead of the mechanics. (though it does not exclude such things)

All you seem to have done with this prestige class is literally taken UM and added a couple of abilities, changed each instance of arcane to divine and called it a day.
Was just hoping for something a little more unique was all.

Maybe I'll give it a shot myself at some point. :)

JellyPooga
2009-06-25, 05:32 AM
stuff

I'm, on a similar page to this guy...I don't particularly see divine spellcasters going down this sort of route, purely from a fluff perspective. I see a PrC along these sorts of lines less as progressing two casting classes, but rather making a prepared divine caster become (more) spontaneous over the course of the class (or vice versa, I guess); kind of gaining a selection of 'mastered' spells known each level that can be spontaneously cast from open spell slots or somesuch...perhaps even enforcing a theme to these spells; e.g. upon taking the class you must select your 'path' (healer, destroyer, etc.) and that dictates what spells you can 'master'.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-25, 08:38 AM
Ardent + Archivist + http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b ?
== victory?

I don't know any good early entry tricks for it, but it's sorttttttaaa like a UM for divine ;)
Not really at all, but in a... who am I kidding. I just love Ardent.

I don't know of any Ardent/Archivist tricks, but Ardent/Favored Soul is fairly easy. Practiced Manifester (Complete Psionic) counts your manifester level as 4 higher up to your HD, and Ardent gains power levels based on ML, not class level. So, as a human you take Favored Soul and the Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell feats, letting you combine 2 1st-level slots to cast a 2nd level spell. Take 2 levels of Ardent and Practiced Manifester at 3rd level; with ML 3, you can learn a 2nd-level power. Voila, FS 1/Ardent 2/Psychic Theurge 10/X 5. Or FS 2/Ardent 1/Psychic Theurge 10/X 5 if you prefer, as long as you take FS at 1st level and Ardent at 3rd.