PDA

View Full Version : domain for arcane spellcaster

wormwood
2009-06-24, 10:02 AM
Is there any way to get access to a domain for a non-cleric? I'm basically looking for a way into true necromancer without taking levels of cleric.

Frog Dragon
2009-06-24, 10:04 AM
I've heard of something called the Domain Wizard variant. Found it (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizardVariantDomainWiz ard). I don't know if you can actually do the prerecs with this one.

Roboghostpirate
2009-06-24, 10:06 AM
There is the Arcane domain variant for wizards that you can get here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizardVariantDomainWiz ard

I'm not really familiar with the True Necromancer though, so I'm not sure if that would work.

SSGoW
2009-06-24, 10:07 AM
crystalkeep.com has the variant you are thinking of ...err i think

wormwood
2009-06-24, 10:11 AM
thanks all!

Edit: after looking it over, it seems like the domain wizard chooses an "arcane domain" rather than a cleric domain. that won't meet the pre-reqs for true necromancer.

Any other suggestions? Perhaps a feat that grants access to a domain?

The White Knight
2009-06-24, 10:19 AM
I'm AFB at the moment, so I don't know the exact wording of the TN prereqs, but would Arcane Disciple (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Arcane_Disciple,all) cut it?

AstralFire
2009-06-24, 10:25 AM
The very cool, if somewhat weak, Rainbow Servants from CDiv (I think) can also pick up a handful of domains.

wormwood
2009-06-24, 10:30 AM
That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I'm not sure if it would meet the requirements or not... guess it would be up to the DM. The exact requirement is "access to the Death domain."

I was thinking of maybe making a Dread Necromancer/Favored Soul/True Necromancer so I could cash in on the Charisma synergy. The only problem is that the Favored Soul doesn't have domains (that and the crazy Wisdom for saving throw DCs thing).

Keld Denar
2009-06-24, 10:58 AM
The only feats that do anything close to what you want would be Arcane Disciple in Complete Divine, which gives you the spells in the domain, but they are Arcane spells, not Divine, and the feat Planar Touchstone from the Planar Handbook. Requires a bunch of ranks in Know: Planes, but will give you the granted power of a domain if you tie it to the Catalogues of Enlightenment. Neither actually give you the full domain though.

If you approached this from the other side, a Dragonwraught Kobald cleric could take the Loredrake template from Dragons of Ebberon, and the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage from Races of the Dragon to meet the prereqs of the arcane side with only 1 level of sorcerer.

Alternatively, Dread Necro + Versitile Spellcaster should also qualify you, provided DN has the required arcane spell (Control Undead?) on their spell list. Don't recall of the top of my head.

JeminiZero
2009-06-24, 05:53 PM
I was thinking of maybe making a Dread Necromancer/Favored Soul/True Necromancer so I could cash in on the Charisma synergy. The only problem is that the Favored Soul doesn't have domains (that and the crazy Wisdom for saving throw DCs thing).

Maybe go for Wizard/Archivist. Archivist gets domains and Int synergy with Wizard.

Keld Denar
2009-06-24, 05:56 PM
Archivists don't get actual domains. They can learn spells on domain lists by finding scrolls and/or prayerbooks, but they don't come pre-packaged with any ability to have a domain. They can gain domains though, and the most common ways include levels in Divine Oracle, Church Inquisitor, Radiant Servant, and Contemplative. They also don't get turn undead, which is obtainable with a 1+ level investment in Sacred Exorcist.

And the only one of those PrCs that could actually grant the Death domain to qualify for True Necro is Contemplative. Unfortuanately, Contemplative1 can't be taken until level 11 due to savage skill rank prereqs. That kinda kills most of your duel casting progression...

Gaiyamato
2009-06-24, 09:31 PM
Sorcerer level 5 using the substitution level in completel champion is the only reliable way.
You can get the Oracle Domain with Divine Oracle PRC as well.

Sorcerer 5/Ur-Priest 2 gets you into True Necromancer fine and dandy.

Nate the Snake
2009-06-25, 02:35 AM
Sorcerer 5/Ur-Priest 2 gets you into True Necromancer fine and dandy.

Sorcerer 5/Mindbender 1/Ur-Priest 2. Sorcerer 5 doesn't meet the Ur-Priest's +3 Fort requirement.

Also, depending on how you define "access to a domain", Arcane Disciple might work. The Walker in the Waste (Sandstorm) requires access to the Sand or Thirst domains and states that access to the spells on the list was sufficient.

If nothing else, there's the Eberron version of the adept, which is a standard adept with access to one domain. It's still an NPC class, though.