PDA

View Full Version : Most powerful paladin?

Origomar
2009-06-24, 10:39 AM
Reading some of the strips where miko betrays the paladin order, she said that she was the most powerful paladin. I find this highly unlike i beleive that ochul is i mean just look at the past few threads and what he can do.

Theories?

And even thought he admits she was "their finest warrior" i think he was just being humble.

SPoD
2009-06-24, 10:44 AM
Theories?

That this has been discussed many times over, and the consensus is that "powerful" is not the same thing as "most capable of surviving injury". O-Chul rarely dishes out the hurt, he only takes it in enormous quantities.

Alternately, there's some traction to the idea that "most powerful" strictly means "most paladin levels", whereas much of O-Chul's strength comes from many Fighter levels.

Of course, the easiest solution is that it was true when she said it, but not anymore. This is a game where characters increase in power over time, after all.

jamroar
2009-06-24, 10:47 AM
Reading some of the strips where miko betrays the paladin order, she said that she was the most powerful paladin. I find this highly unlike i beleive that ochul is i mean just look at the past few threads and what he can do.

Theories?

Most powerful paladin. O-Chul may have plenty of fighter levels and comparatively fewer paladin ones. Those extra feats must count for something.

Optimystik
O-Chul is tough - very tough - but even he rates Miko higher. ("She was our finest warrior.")

He also has a Charisma penalty, whereas Miko likely has a charisma bonus. Several paladin powers (smite evil, divine grace, and turn undead, for instance) would thus be much more powerful when used by her.

Faceist
O-Chul has extremely high constitution: this is alluded to several times, such as when he says "This is the task the Twelve Gods have given me - to endure." Most of his badass stunts involve taking insane amounts of damage. Miko was a more balanced warrior - just look at the strip where she fights and defeats Redcloak, a level 17 cleric, before Xykon intervenes.

Keep in mind, also, that O-Chul has probably levelled up since being in captivity, due to all the hazardous situations Xykon and Tsukiko put him in. He might now be comparable in strength to (alive) Miko.

Kronno
2009-06-24, 10:50 AM
Leaving aside "O-Chull is awesome" type comments, I'd say 2 things are possible:
1: It may be Miko was wrong. after all, we only have her word that she is the most powerful, and the term "powerful" has no official meaning in D&D rules so we don't know how she measured even if she was right (I believe it was also her personal assessment, and nothing more,that Hinjo was number 3).
2: O-Chull has been thrown against the most Horrible monsters Xykon could think of dozens of times and he has won every time. It seems highly likely to me that he's leveled more than once in that time (any ideas what the xp value of a pack of dire wallabies is? especially with the circumstance penalty of being forced to fight naked in a cage match?). So even if he was weaker once, he may well be stronger now.

homeosapiens
2009-06-24, 11:38 AM
This belongs to this treads:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114512
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112577