PDA

View Full Version : About druid animal companion

Asheram
2009-06-24, 10:54 AM
And here we've got yet another duid thread. (They do show up a lot lately, don't they? )

Well, anyhow. I'm going to play a druid up to L5 in an upcoming campaign, and then I'm going for Master of Many Forms.
Now. An animal companion is nice, but since i'm only getting it up to L5, I feel that once I'm cross that border, it's going to be an liability since it won't level anymore.

My question to you, is there any way to trade the animal companion in to something else, (except the Elemental Companion from Complete Mage. Sounded like a good plan, but also dependant on the druid progression)

woodenbandman
2009-06-24, 10:56 AM
There is the Wild Cohort feat (search the wizards website). Ask your DM if you can combine that with that feat that increases your Animal Companion's level by 3 from Complete Adventurer to get your animal companion back.

As for trading away your animal companion, I don't know, i've never even considered doing that.

subject42
2009-06-24, 11:03 AM
The Pathfinder RPG beta allows limited domain casting in exchange for an animal companion, but I don't know if that would be allowable in your campaign.

Blackfang108
2009-06-24, 11:14 AM
that feat that increases your Animal Companion's level by 3 from Complete Adventurer

Natural Bond.

Also, the PHB 2 has an ACF for Druids that bails on the Animal Companion in order to spontaneously cast Fast Healing for X (X= Level of spell given.)

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-24, 02:40 PM
I feel that once I'm cross that border, it's going to be an liability since it won't level anymore.
It won't be. Unlike a Paladin or a Wizard, a Druid doesn't get penalized for her special animal friend getting killed off. You also don't have to wait to replace it, although you do need a day of downtime.

Just another way that Druids Are Better.

Random NPC
2009-06-24, 03:02 PM
Natural Bond.

Also, the PHB 2 has an ACF for Druids that bails on the Animal Companion in order to spontaneously cast Fast Healing for X (X= Level of spell given.)

No. Spontaneous Rejuvenation is exchanged with Spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally.

Gnaeus
2009-06-24, 03:25 PM
Druidic Avenger (unearthed arcana) trades animal companion and spontaneous summon for rage like a barbarian and fast movement.

Not a great trade, but if its what you're looking for...

mostlyharmful
2009-06-24, 03:43 PM
Go for a Dire Bat that gives you flight for no spell slots or items and blindsight's always cool beans. Then when it gets ganked shrug and move on. It's an AC not a familiar so who cares. That or something with scent but I'd go for the blindsight meself.

Asheram
2009-06-24, 04:12 PM
Thanks for all the great tips. I've been contemplating most of them, but there isn't really anyhing that I find useful among them.

I'll try to make this work with an animal companion after all, I guess.

mostlyharmful
2009-06-24, 04:18 PM
Thanks for all the great tips. I've been contemplating most of them, but there isn't really anyhing that I find useful among them.

I'll try to make this work with an animal companion after all, I guess.

Or you could just not. Like you said it's not going to be all that important after a while and it does slow you down if you're moving fast or running through built up areas to have a random gribbly trailling you around. Could just be something you consign to the 'oh yeah, I forgot I had that' bin like the resist nature's lure bit or how many bits of chalk you've got.

Blackfang108
2009-06-24, 04:21 PM
No. Spontaneous Rejuvenation is exchanged with Spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally.

*facepalm*

That's what I get for trying to remember these things while AFB.:smalltongue:

Asheram
2009-06-24, 04:48 PM
Or you could just not. Like you said it's not going to be all that important after a while and it does slow you down if you're moving fast or running through built up areas to have a random gribbly trailling you around. Could just be something you consign to the 'oh yeah, I forgot I had that' bin like the resist nature's lure bit or how many bits of chalk you've got.

*chuckles* already traded that in for the "desert druid" variant. Already playing a desert elf so the 5 fire resistance seemed too good to pass up.

But you're right. I'll probably have him killed off somewhere until I can get back on track with the druid class again. (around L16 :P and then just as cannonfodder)

Lycanthromancer
2009-06-24, 05:08 PM
You could always try the wildshaping ranger, rather than playing a druid. By level 5, your companion (and your spells) is pretty much a moot point anyway, and you get better BAB for it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-25, 12:34 AM
I would definitely go either Druidic Avenger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druidVariantDruidicAve nger), possibly with Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) to have a viable animal companion if you want, or use Wild Shape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) instead of Druid. You should also take one level in Nature's Warrior fairly early to gain Nature's Weapon so you won't need to worry about DR/Magic. Warshaper is also a superb choice, but I'd get seven levels in Master of Many Forms before taking that.

Origomar
2009-06-25, 12:36 AM
And here we've got yet another duid thread. (They do show up a lot lately, don't they? )

Well, anyhow. I'm going to play a druid up to L5 in an upcoming campaign, and then I'm going for Master of Many Forms.
Now. An animal companion is nice, but since i'm only getting it up to L5, I feel that once I'm cross that border, it's going to be an liability since it won't level anymore.

My question to you, is there any way to trade the animal companion in to something else, (except the Elemental Companion from Complete Mage. Sounded like a good plan, but also dependant on the druid progression)

The only way i know of is to be the variant druidic avenger. Essentially a druid with rage.

BobVosh
2009-06-25, 02:32 AM
Hmm. Natural bond + 1 level of beast master=+7 animal companion level.(3 from NB, 3 from class feature on beast master, +1 for levels in beastmaster.)

I believe both of those are in the complete adventurer.

Jergmo
2009-06-25, 12:49 PM
The Pathfinder RPG beta allows limited domain casting in exchange for an animal companion, but I don't know if that would be allowable in your campaign.

Aye, you can trade it for access to the Earth, Fire, Water, Air, Animal, Plant, or Weather domain.

Asheram
2009-06-26, 12:15 PM
Alright. I decided to stick with an Animal Companion so far. We'll see how it goes and if it goes too bad, I'll ask my GM if I could retrain or something.

Anyhow. Now I'm sitting with a Hyena as an animal companion and I'm trying to figure out how to write him up...
Now, just tell me if I've got it wrong here...
A hyena starts with 2hd. Due to the fact that I'm a druid level 3, he gains an additional 2hd (into 4hd) and according to advancement, he's now a large creature? Is this correct?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-26, 01:19 PM
Alright. I decided to stick with an Animal Companion so far. We'll see how it goes and if it goes too bad, I'll ask my GM if I could retrain or something.

Anyhow. Now I'm sitting with a Hyena as an animal companion and I'm trying to figure out how to write him up...
Now, just tell me if I've got it wrong here...
A hyena starts with 2hd. Due to the fact that I'm a druid level 3, he gains an additional 2hd (into 4hd) and according to advancement, he's now a large creature? Is this correct?Advancing an Animal Companion does not increase the size. I don't know that there has ever been an explanation for why that is, but them's the breaks.

Myrmex
2009-06-26, 01:22 PM
It won't be. Unlike a Paladin or a Wizard, a Druid doesn't get penalized for her special animal friend getting killed off. You also don't have to wait to replace it, although you do need a day of downtime.

Just another way that Druids Are Better.

If your DM lets you get away with murdering animal after animal, sure.

Asheram
2009-06-26, 01:37 PM
Advancing an Animal Companion does not increase the size. I don't know that there has ever been an explanation for why that is, but them's the breaks.

Hmm.. where does it say that they don't? If you don't mind me asking. I've been joyful now for a few hours that I get a mount as well as an Über pet :P

Edit:
Son of a ... oh, nevermind. I found it... Argh! Bloody rules.

Tiki Snakes
2009-06-26, 02:19 PM
Hmm.. where does it say that they don't? If you don't mind me asking. I've been joyful now for a few hours that I get a mount as well as an Über pet :P

Edit:
Son of a ... oh, nevermind. I found it... Argh! Bloody rules.

Just ask your DM. I mean, you're already playing a half-way optimised druid, adding a large animal companion isn't really going to make that much difference at this point, is it? :)

Asheram
2009-06-26, 02:31 PM
Just ask your DM. I mean, you're already playing a half-way optimised druid, adding a large animal companion isn't really going to make that much difference at this point, is it? :)

*sighs* problem is that I'm trying Not to optimise too much.
I'm doing it on habit. :smallfrown:

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-26, 02:58 PM
If your DM lets you get away with murdering animal after animal, sure.
Death is an important part of the natural cycle.

I don't think that there's actually anything about druidism that requires Druids to be nice to their animal companions. I find it easy to imagine an Evil Druid being particularly unkind to his pet (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.KickTheDog).

But of course there's a difference between considering your animal companion expendable and just outright slaughtering it.

Asheram
2009-06-26, 03:08 PM

I don't think that there's actually anything about druidism that requires Druids to be nice to their animal companions. I find it easy to imagine an Evil Druid being particularly unkind to his pet (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.KickTheDog).

But of course there's a difference between considering your animal companion expendable and just outright slaughtering it.

Spoken like a true follower of Obad-hai :smallbiggrin:

Myrmex
2009-06-27, 01:13 AM

Are you familiar with Native American philosophy?
You can stab the **** out of a deer, or a bear. The bigger the bear you kill, the more manly you are.

But you better use every little piece of that thing, right down to the tendons, or you are committing a grave disrespect to Brother Bear, and he may not grace you with his pelt next season.