PDA

View Full Version : Help me optimize my epic Rage Mage (please!)

Barbarian MD
2009-06-24, 11:01 AM
EDIT: Thanks for all the help so far! I'm still working on him.

EDIT: Important note: multiclass penalties apply in this game.

Okay, here's the deal: There's a level 21 gestalt game currently recruiting on the boards, and I'd like to play a Sorcerer/Barbarian.

All books are allowed.

Without TOTALLY reworking the build, I'd like help optimizing him. His AC is only 34, and his saves worries me, and it'd be nice to have higher DCs for his spells.

I'm also open to suggestions on spell selection, feats, and equipment.

Nothing is homebrew EXCEPT that there is a Greater Maximize/Quicken rod in the handle of his hammer. So there will be some epic moments where he full attacks with an additional quickened chain lightning at the end.

Here's a link to the sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=134730

Here's the progression:

Barbarian 1 Sorcerer 1
Barbarian 2 Sorcerer 2
Barbarian 3 Sorcerer 3
Barbarian 4 Sorcerer 4
Rage Mage 1 Sorcerer 5
Barbarian 5 Sorcerer 6
Barbarian 6 Sorcerer 7
Monk 1 Sorcerer 8
Barbarian 7 Sorcerer 9
Barbarian 8 Sorcerer 10
Barbarian 9 Sorcerer 11
Fighter 1 Sorcerer 12
Barbarian 10 Sorcerer 13
Fighter 2 Sorcerer 14
Barbarian 11 Sorcerer 15
Barbarian 12 Sorcerer 16
Barbarian 13 Sorcerer 17
Barbarian 14 Sorcerer 18
Barbarian 15 Sorcerer 19
Arcane Duelist 1 Sorcerer 20
Arcane Duelist 2 Sorcerer 21

THANKS!

Keld Denar
2009-06-24, 11:46 AM
First of all, you have WAY too many levels of Barbarian to be optimal. The class really doesn't offer anything impressive past about level 2. Better would be if you could nab at least 2 levels of Paladin of Freedom (Unearthed Arcana), and even better would be if you could nab 4 to get Turn Undead. This'll allow you to power [Divine] and [Devotion] feats like Chaos Devotion, Travel Devotion, or Divine Might. As well, a few levels of Fighter to nab a few more feats also couldn't hurt.

So yea...how much do you actually want to change? How much is "completely reworking?"

woodenbandman
2009-06-24, 11:51 AM
Okay here's what you do:

Get your chain shirt a twilight mithral whatever so 0 ACF. Make all your weapons only +1. Yeah, trust me.

Now, either get the cleric to cast Greater Magic Weapon OR invest the spell known /get a runestaff of it. Do it with your armor too.

To boost your armor, you could take Improved Buckler Defense (dunno if that works for you) for an additional +6 AC. Defending Armor Spikes adds you another 5. You're kind of a barbarian, though. Do you really need AC?

Chain Spell is nice. It's worth at least a rod of chaining, if you can get one made.

As for spells, I have a few revisions you should consider:

Swap the following spells from each level:

1: These are mostly good. I'd personally swap identify for Grease.
2: Gust of Wind: Swap for Wraithstrike. Your attack bonus is rather low, and you don't have Shock Trooper going for you. This should considerably increase your damage output when needed. Just beware of Scintillating Scales.
3: Sleet Storm, Fireball: Swap Fireball for Fly. Sleet storm could be swapped for some other stuff.
Most of your other spells are fine. Check the spell compendium for spells, not just the PHB (and if you don't have it, then you're DESTINED TO FAIL) (not really).

Uh... also, you should most definitely learn shapechange. Swap meteor swarm for shapechange. Meteor swarm does some d6s of damage one round, shapechange lasts for thousands of rounds, and you can turn into a Solar Angel or a Balor or a dragon.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-24, 11:53 AM
Hmmm...is Rage Mage allowable by traditional Gestalt rules? I seem to remember a ban on "two things as one" classes for Gestalt, and the Rage Mage is definitely that sort of class.

AstralFire
2009-06-24, 11:56 AM
Hmmm...is Rage Mage allowable by traditional Gestalt rules? I seem to remember a ban on "two things as one" classes for Gestalt, and the Rage Mage is definitely that sort of class.

Technically, but it's a flagrantly ignored rule since most of the combiner Prestige Classes tend to be weak choices.

Barbarian MD
2009-06-24, 11:58 AM
Cool. I'll need to think over this stuff and make some changes...

@Djinn: Darned if I know (and don't worry! I'm not bailing on your game! I'm really excited to play my monk.)

BobVosh
2009-06-24, 12:05 PM
Hit your dm in the head with ping pong balls until he allows this one: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38898

quick_comment
2009-06-24, 01:01 PM

Doesnt rage mage only have 1/2 CL advancement?

tonberrian
2009-06-24, 01:44 PM
That build screams Champion of Gwynharwyf (BoED), ESPECIALLY for Cha to Saves. Everything else is a perk.

Barbarian MD
2009-06-24, 03:39 PM
Doesnt rage mage only have 1/2 CL advancement?

That's why I alternated every level of sorcerer.

Niezck
2009-06-24, 03:46 PM
Dude, he said dual progressions was disallowed. I wanted to take Ultimate Magus (advances 1 class every 3 levels and both classes every other level) but got a huge-ass NO. Plus, one person wanted to go dual-progression but qualifying for both with one side of the gestalt ... and he got denied too. Sorry :/

Keld Denar
2009-06-24, 04:00 PM
Honestly, I think the whole duel progression thing is dumb. There are a lot of abilities that just can't be replicated, in particular, the Rage Mage's Spell Rage. Without it, there is absolutely no way short of voluntarily ending rage early, to cast spells once you start raging. Which is dumb, since casting during a rage isn't overpowered...at all.

I'm of the mind that if the character isn't exceeding what he could normally get (IE, no taking Mystic Theurge//Wizard levels to duel advance Wizard), then it should be allowed...

But...I'm not your DM.

Barbarian MD
2009-06-24, 06:05 PM
Okay, eliminated the whole "dual progression" issue.

Something I forgot to mention earlier: multiclass penalties are being enforced in this game. So everything's got to be within 1 level of each other (excepting barbarian, which I'm counting as favored class). So: 1 or 2 level dips FTW.

I'm crossing my fingers that multiclass penalties apply separately down each side of the progression.