PDA

View Full Version : To avoid thread necromancy...

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-24, 12:20 PM
...I am posting my thoughts on a new thread.
The thread: Effective Druidzills (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74743).
The comment:

Word of balance works an most of the major outsiders.
Anything involving the words "Druid" and "Balence" seems like an oxymoron.

AstralFire
2009-06-24, 12:21 PM
...Um. Great for you? :smallconfused:

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-24, 12:23 PM
Just wanted to say it without thread necromancy. I've had a couple raised threads; I didn't want to do it again.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-24, 12:26 PM
What's the point?

Hyooz
2009-06-24, 12:31 PM
Did you really think that expressing this commonly held opinion in a semi-snarky way months after the fact was worth a new thread?

kjones
2009-06-24, 12:43 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_709-UY_kyd8/SZ7U9D9i9jI/AAAAAAAAASs/RmmocVAW-84/s400/super-cool-story-bro.png
ten characters

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-24, 12:45 PM
Zero-content posts, the way to ... what? Go figure.

Comet
2009-06-24, 01:06 PM
To stay on topic (?!), I do agree with what the man said. :smalltongue:

LordZarth
2009-06-24, 01:19 PM
This is thread necromancy, in a way. You have resurrected a dead thread, and as time and time again is proved (god, the ungrammar), resurrections of dead threads (in whatever form) are nearly never useful.

Hence the necromancy ban.

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-24, 01:29 PM
Agreed; it doesn't seem that you've done the forum a favor by creating a new thread just to deliver a nonhelpful, sarcastic comment about a post from a dead thread.

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-24, 03:20 PM
Just wanted to say it
Sometimes, this urge is best resisted.

I mean that seriously. If what you have to say isn't particularly likely to be useful or entertaining to anyone else, it's best to just think it silently to yourself and then move on. This can significantly cut back on clutter. It can keep you from being drawn into conversations that are not, in retrospect, good uses of your time.

I hardly do an exemplary job of following this guideline, but I do think that it's a good one to try to keep in mind. (Do as I say, not as I do!)

Gorbash
2009-06-24, 03:58 PM

How about "Druid" and "Balance" then?

Yora
2009-06-24, 04:00 PM
Just wanted to say it without thread necromancy. I've had a couple raised threads; I didn't want to do it again.
I think this is worse. ^^

Nohwl
2009-06-24, 04:22 PM
The thread: Effective Druidzills (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74743).
The comment:

what about the sentence 'the druid is not balanced.'

Raewyn
2009-06-24, 04:46 PM
The comment:

In addition to being a poor use of a thread, this comment's not even true. Druids are the epitome of balance - hence why they have to be neutral on either the ethical or moral alignment axis.

mikeejimbo
2009-06-24, 04:51 PM
...resurrections of dead threads (in whatever form) are nearly never useful.

So you're not allowed to post more than one thread per topic.... AND you're not allowed to post in a thread pertinent to your topic if it's dead?

I wonder why there's any activity left.

kopout
2009-06-24, 05:04 PM
So you're not allowed to post more than one thread per topic.... AND you're not allowed to post in a thread pertinent to your topic if it's dead?

I wonder why there's any activity left.

Indeed, although this particular one was useless not all comments on dead threads are. And stop picking on the guy, he tries to avoid braking the rules and you guys gang up on him? How is that fair?

DragoonWraith
2009-06-24, 05:08 PM
Because he tried to get around the rule, knowing full well that he was still doing something that he shouldn't.

Roland St. Jude
2009-06-24, 05:45 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: The OP's process (post your comment with a link to the old thread) is the preferred method of continuing a discussion from a now too old thread.

However, the content (a single snarky comment that purposefully misunderstands the underlying thread's content) doesn't really justify a whole new thread. What are new posters supposed to do with this attempt at witty observation? Clearly, no one knows, which has led to great puzzlement and vigilante modding (which is against the Forum Rules by the way). Thread locked.