PDA

View Full Version : Who is S. Rogers?

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-24, 12:22 PM
And why can't he an Roy share the ride?

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-06-24, 12:26 PM

S. Rogers is Steve Rogers, AKA Captain America. The Good Captain died a few years ago. And now Marvel Comics is bringing him back from the dead.

I don't know much more, I gave up collecting comics around the time I got married. But I remember plenty of news articles about it, and it made a pretty big splash at the time.

Porthos
2009-06-24, 12:27 PM

S. Rogers is Steve Rogers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America) who in True Revolving Door fashion is coming back from the dead very soon*.

* July 1st, as a matter of fact (after checking)

mikeejimbo
2009-06-24, 12:31 PM
Ha! I wouldn't have gotten that. I don't follow comics that aren't on the web.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-24, 12:31 PM
Surfing HalfOrc, Porthos, thanks!

Blackjackg
2009-06-24, 12:48 PM
S. Rogers is Steve Rogers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America) who in True Revolving Door fashion is coming back from the dead very soon*.

They couldn't have pushed it back three days?

NerfTW
2009-06-24, 01:12 PM
July 1st is a Wednesday, when new comics come out.

kpenguin
2009-06-24, 03:00 PM
Alright, in the most recent comic (#664 for posterity), next to the chauffeur holding a sign that says "R. Greenhilt" is a chauffeur with a sign that says "S. Rogers"

Now, pretty much my only conclusion to who that sign refers to is Steve Rogers, or Captain America, who was killed off in 2007. I don't follow comics all that much, so I may not know, but... is Cap coming back?

(Also, this thread might have been better in Media Discussions, but it was a reference in OotS that sparked my curiosity, so...)

Moriarty
2009-06-24, 03:03 PM
i'm not really into these comics, but some folks in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116060) thread seem to be informed

Devonix
2009-06-24, 03:03 PM
Yep Marvel's announced that he's coming back I believe its issue 600.

I just hope that they don't forget the part about him being a ghost for the past year or so.

kpenguin
2009-06-24, 03:06 PM
Awesome, Cap's coming back.

Also, I just realized that Cap and Roy died the same year and, I think, around the same time.

daggaz
2009-06-24, 03:12 PM
heh thanks

without this thread, I would never have known that little bit of insider trivia. I just thought it was some other guy who died, you know, to highlight the fact that Roy isnt the only one up in heaven going back down (see revolving door episode).

Verruckt
2009-06-24, 03:32 PM

Because there's barely enough room for a heart and soul as powerful as ol' Cap alone to fit through them pearly revolving gates, Roy wouldn't fit.

Bibliomancer
2009-06-24, 03:47 PM
Because there's barely enough room for a heart and soul as powerful as ol' Cap alone to fit through them pearly revolving gates, Roy wouldn't fit.

If Captain America wants there to be room, there will be room. Apparently Roy needs to get back to the Material Plane before Canada Day (July 1st)

Mr. Shiny Objec
2009-06-24, 04:35 PM
If Captain America wants there to be room, there will be room. Apparently Roy needs to get back to the Material Plane before Canada Day (July 1st)

Captain America is being brought back from the dead on CANADA DAY!?!?!?!:smallconfused::smalleek:

derfenrirwolv
2009-06-24, 04:40 PM
Canada has a day? :smalltongue:

And he stayed dead a LOT longer than i thought he would

Murdim
2009-06-24, 04:52 PM
Now is time to begin yet another pointless alignment-related controversy : Captain America, Lawful Good or Neutral Good ? :smalltongue:

Haven
2009-06-24, 04:54 PM
Lawful.

Done.

Rutskarn
2009-06-24, 04:54 PM
Captain America is being brought back from the dead on CANADA DAY!?!?!?!:smallconfused::smalleek:

Conspiracy!

Cestrian
2009-06-24, 04:57 PM
And he stayed dead a LOT longer than i thought he would

Apparently, the orginal plan was that he was only going to stay dead for four or five issues but editorial had a word with the writer and convinced him that they could milk a much bigger story out of it.

Good call, really. The sales went through the roof, I think. I certainly never expected it to make the papers over here.

Dark_Stryke
2009-06-24, 05:07 PM

July 1st? Captain America is coming back to life on Canada Day?

Shouldn't they have just waited for the 4th?

NerfTW
2009-06-24, 05:08 PM
Apparently, the orginal plan was that he was only going to stay dead for four or five issues but editorial had a word with the writer and convinced him that they could milk a much bigger story out of it.

Good call, really. The sales went through the roof, I think. I certainly never expected it to make the papers over here.

Where on earth did you hear that? And I hardly think it's "milking" the story to have two years of character development for Bucky.

It makes no sense, especially since editorial would have been in on it from the start. He died at the end of a major crossover event. That's not something a writer does without considerable planning ahead of time.

Porthos
2009-06-24, 05:13 PM

To be fair, I don't know if he actually comes back to life on July 1st. But I do know that the first issue of Captain America: Reborn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America:_Reborn) (a five issue mini) will be released on that day. It might actually take an issue or two for the Cap to start breathing again for all I know. :smallamused:

Cestrian
2009-06-24, 05:37 PM
Where on earth did you hear that? And I hardly think it's "milking" the story to have two years of character development for Bucky.

It makes no sense, especially since editorial would have been in on it from the start. He died at the end of a major crossover event. That's not something a writer does without considerable planning ahead of time.

Right here (http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1614051/story.jhtml). Brubaker says he was orginally only going to be dead for six months but the story grew on him.

Occording to Brevoort's blog the Civil war ending was just to have Cap locked up. It was Ed who decided that he wanted to kill him because he'd been kickng around the idea for a while and he wasn't interested in doing a Cap redeems himself/puts back on the uniform story, which he thought was the only other option he had.

And then, as it got kicked about with Editorial, it grew from being a minor arc to a big event with Loeb doing a minseries and everythting. And as Brubaker has often said, he originally had no plan to put Bucky in the uniform but he changed his mind when he was writing the story

I'm not critising Brubaker's stuff, I'm a huge fan, but this wasn't his original plan and fair enough for him for working out that this was a better idea. I don't think improvisation is always a bad thing.

Pip
2009-06-24, 06:17 PM

Comic books are delivered on Wednesdays and never on holidays. They got as close as they could.

thepsyker
2009-06-24, 06:20 PM
Now is time to begin yet another pointless alignment-related controversy : Captain America, Lawful Good or Neutral Good ? :smalltongue:Heh, that was actually about the first thing I thought when I realized it was a reference to Cap.

Morgan Wick
2009-06-24, 10:56 PM
Now is time to begin yet another pointless alignment-related controversy : Captain America, Lawful Good or Neutral Good ? :smalltongue:

Used to be Lawful, but as recent stories have made him willing to stand up to the government while fighting for American ideals, probably Neutral.

(America is really a Chaotic Good nation that's turned Chaotic Neutral at best since World War II.)

Devonix
2009-06-24, 11:58 PM
Used to be Lawful, but as recent stories have made him willing to stand up to the government while fighting for American ideals, probably Neutral.

(America is really a Chaotic Good nation that's turned Chaotic Neutral at best since World War II.)

Sorry Cap is a Lawful Good Paladin in the best sense of the word. He works to redeem and has always worked to uphold the ideals of America rather than its government. Loyal to the Dream not to the Burocrats

Dark_Stryke
2009-06-25, 12:15 AM
Comic books are delivered on Wednesdays and never on holidays. They got as close as they could.

Yeah, but still... Canada Day?

Oh wait, they probably had no idea there even was a Canada Day. It's not like we're a country or anything.

(Disclaimer: This post should is not meant to be taken seriously)

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-25, 12:19 AM
Oh wait, they probably had no idea there even was a Canada Day. It's not like we're a country or anything.

You silly America's Hat people. :smalltongue:

The MunchKING
2009-06-25, 12:29 AM
Ha! I wouldn't have gotten that. I don't follow comics that aren't on the web.

HAH! My brain was telling me it was Steve Rogers even before I figured out who the heck Steve Rogers was. I guess my subconcious is better at this stuff than I am. :smallbiggrin:

Elemental_Elf
2009-06-25, 12:37 AM
I had no idea Rogers was being rezed by Marvel but I laughed hard when I found out!

Shadowbane
2009-06-25, 12:45 AM
I admit that this made me howl. It is one of my favorite jokes yet.

Red XIV
2009-06-25, 01:30 AM
When the government itself isn't being Lawful, a Lawful Good guy like Cap has to go against it.

Elemental_Elf
2009-06-25, 01:58 AM
When the government itself isn't being Lawful, a Lawful Good guy like Cap has to go against it.

Amen to that! :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2009-06-25, 02:13 AM
Given the current state of the MU government, saying Lawful makes you agree with them renders lawful stupid the only non rebellious option.

They gave NORMAN OSBOURNE total political power. I know I say "Morons beyond all human imagining" reasonably often, but...

FeAnPi
2009-06-25, 02:25 AM
And, after all the resurrecionts in marvel and DC comics, the people continues to say bad of the Italian comics... at least here a dead-then resurrected character (a villain) is a sorcerer that stays dead for more than 400 issues.:smallfrown:

tanis
2009-06-25, 03:18 AM
And, after all the resurrecionts in marvel and DC comics, the people continues to say bad of the Italian comics... at least here a dead-then resurrected character (a villain) is a sorcerer that stays dead for more than 400 issues.:smallfrown:

In European comics, usually at least, dead people doesn't come back.
I don't know why, maybe European Comics Heaven is a much nicer place than the North American one. :smallsmile:

FeAnPi
2009-06-25, 03:26 AM
Indeed; the character I was speaking of is, after all, a very particular one... let's say that, in D&D terms, he is more close to an arch-fiend than to a mage.

But it is very rare for a non magic character to return from death.

jonathan_h
2009-06-26, 08:33 AM
...two years of character development for Bucky.

lol - well, yeah, I suppose - I'm still getting over the fact that they broke Marvel Rule #1 and made Bucky not dead in the first place. :smallwink: