PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Touch Attack Arcane Spellcaster

Totally Guy
2009-06-24, 12:44 PM
I was trying to think how I could play a slightly different wizard or sorcerer and I liked the thought of using lots of touch attack spells.

How would I go about making a character like this? He'd need to be tough enough to be close to the enemies and have enough BAB to hit. But he'd also need the spell levels.

Am I asking for too much?

I've the PHB to hand but the DM has all sorts of other books... but I'm unsure which ones. The PHB 2 and Arcane power I think are amongst them somewhere.

It'll probably be a low level game up to about 6 or so, so maybe the BAB deficit won't be so important.

Vortling
2009-06-24, 12:48 PM
Definately play a halfling or some other small race with a dex bonus. The ac and dex bonus will come in handy at those low levels when the enemies try to hit you back. As far as hitting goes, most monsters at that level have fairly lousy touch ac so you should be fine.

Keld Denar
2009-06-24, 12:49 PM
Maybe Duskblade? Maybe with Improved Unarmed Strike/Superior Unarmed Strike to punch people with spells?

Maybe some sort of gish build, like Fighter1/Wizard4/Spellsword1/AbjChamp5 or something?

quick_comment
2009-06-24, 12:52 PM
Quickened true strikes all the way.

Divine Power wouldnt hurt either, if you can either get a cleric to buff you or just limited wish it on. (or use recaster or wyrm wizard to get it on your spell list)

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-24, 01:42 PM
I was trying to think how I could play a slightly different wizard or sorcerer and I liked the thought of using lots of touch attack spells.

How would I go about making a character like this? He'd need to be tough enough to be close to the enemies and have enough BAB to hit. But he'd also need the spell levels.

Am I asking for too much?

I've the PHB to hand but the DM has all sorts of other books... but I'm unsure which ones. The PHB 2 and Arcane power I think are amongst them somewhere.

It'll probably be a low level game up to about 6 or so, so maybe the BAB deficit won't be so important.

A low level you won't be able to use it much since you have limited spells per day and touch spells are not great at low level. Consider the case of a sorcerer (but same goes for wizard, cleric, etc).

First, spell choice: At first level you get two spells. So to stay with your theme you can take chill touch or shoking grasp. But to be useful, pick cause fear or color spray or sleep as your second spell. This same choice goes for mid levels. So for ex, you can pick bestow curse or poison, not both because there are other non-touch offensive options that are as good or better.

However at vey high level, touch spells are some of the best spells.

Second, making the touch: You can optimize to make and survive touch attacks but it will always be dangerous. First, I would recommend getting weapon finesse (edit: requires BAB +1) so you can add your dex bonus to touch attacks.

Another option is to use your familiar starting at 3rd level to deliver touch spells. This can be dangerous too but if done in the right circumstances, it can be a good choice. This especially becomes good at level 6 or so when you can pick an improved familiar like an earth or air elemental or imp or quasit that can conceal themselves before they deliver their touch attack.

At 6 level you can also opt for the Reach Spell metagic feat from Complete Divine which for a +2 to spell level let's you make the touch attack from 30 feet away. For our sorcerer example, this will be a full round action unless he also takes the Rapid Metamagic feat from Complete Mage (available starting at 9th level). You may also want to explore the various ways to reduce the meta-magic cost.

The other way to get reach for touch spells is to opt to become an Archmage. This is not available until level 15 or 16 but it's great when you get it because the Arcane Reach High Arcana has not spell level or casting time cost. Arcane Reach combined with high level touch spells like irresistable dance or imprisonment is a really excellent attack (edit: especially with quickened true strike).

Putting it together: So consider our Sorcerer example. At first level you could take halfling and arrange the scores as follows Str 8 Dex 15 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 8 Cha 15. Assume you pick weapon finesse (edit: weapon finesse requires +1 BAB) weapon focus:touch for the feat, color spray and shocking grasp. Then you have a touch attack of +1 (+4 if the opponent is wearing metal armor) for 1d6 shock damage. So use sparingly and rely on your color spray and crossbow (which is a ranged attack at +3 for 1d6 damage).

At 3rd level you can pick a raven familiar and he can do the shocking grasp touch attack for you at +5 to hit for 3d6 shock which is much better.

So let's fast forward to 9th level and assume your scores are Str 8 Dex 15 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 8 Cha 17, your feats are weapon finesse (edit: see above) weapon focus:touch, improved familiar (imp), reach spell and rapid metamagic, and that you have chosen the following spells:
1 - color spray, shocking grasp, mage armor, magic missle, feather fall
2 - scorching ray, see invisibility, ghoul touch, darkvision
3 - fireball, fly, vampiric touch
4 - black tentacles, greater invisibility

So now you can make touch attacks from up to 30 feet away at +6 to hit or your imp can make them (non-ranged) for you for at +9. Your shocking grasp does 5d6 but it's a 3rd level spell if ranged. Your ghoul touch paralyzes humanoids if they fail a DC15 fort save but it's a 4th level spell if ranged. Or you can make a (non-ranged) touch attack at +6 (or +9 by your familiar) for 9d6 damage and heal half that much as a 3rd level spell.

With greater invisibility and magic items these numbers can be improved. It's not great though...or even good...but maybe something like this is what you want.

Again at high levels with Archmage and Arcane Reach, touch attacks are much better.

Other low-level options: Fell Drain, Fell Weaken, etc from Libir Mortis and Arcane Thesis and other options to reduce metamagic cost. There are some combos out there that would let your a low level touch spell like chill touch do much more harm than 1d6 damage. However any such combo will also work for a spell like magic missle. Again, low-level touch spells are just not that good.

VestigeArcanist
2009-06-24, 02:28 PM
You could be a halfling dread Necromancer from HoH. They get their nasty charnel touch at will. Use that in conjunction with weapon finesse and your quasit familiar, and you would be set. it would be even better if you could apply the Necropolitan template, since you can ignore your Con score and heal yourself with your charnel touch.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-24, 02:31 PM
You could be a halfling dread Necromancer from HoH. They get their nasty charnel touch at will. Use that in conjunction with weapon finesse and your quasit familiar, and you would be set. it would be even better if you could apply the Necropolitan template, since you can ignore your Con score and heal yourself with your charnel touch.

Damn it. I forgot Dread Necromancer. It's OK but again just not that uber though VestigeArcanist suggestions are very good.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-24, 03:19 PM
Does it need to be an arcane spellcaster? There are several ways that being a Cleric would make the job easier:
Divne Power for improved BAB
A Cloistered Cleric with Knowledge Devotion and maximum skill ranks gets bonuses to hit everything
Travel Devotion to get away from the enemy after you touch them (free feat for a Cleric if you convert the Travel domain)
Take the Magic domain and use arcane spells up to 4th level via wands

Optimystik
2009-06-24, 03:40 PM
I'm not a pro at optimizing or anything, but wouldn't Enlightened Fist be good at this?

only1doug
2009-06-24, 03:40 PM
Whatever build you settle for I'd recommend checking out complete mage's reserve feat "Clap of thunder" (i think) which deals a xD6 sonic touch attack (where x= level of spell with sonic descriptor held in reserve).

I'd recomend a Gish build for front line resilience, there's little point using touch attacks if you don't have the AC/HP to stand in touch range.

my current Gish character

My current character is doing exactly that: duskblade 5/ wizard1 / abjurant champion 5 / eldritch knight 2.
my character also uses a blunt weapon with Greater mighty wallop for melee damage (increase size category of weapon 1/4 caster levels) and has 12 BAB, wizard CL12, wizard spells as a level 7 wizard, 32AC and about 96HP.
Attack +19/+14/+9 (4d8+7 damage) or touch attack for 4d8 sonic damage.

Totally Guy
2009-06-24, 03:52 PM
I think I understand Hamster's post. So that's probably what I'll try to do.

The group doesn't really optimise all that much anyway so I'll tend to be about the right power level.

Thrawn183
2009-06-24, 03:58 PM
Considering how many touch spells don't offer a saving throw, I'd focus on those and buff spells. This should allow you to make Con your primary stat. In this vein, going for bunuses to HP or to attack rolls would be idea.

Personally, I'd go orc. Put your primary stat in Con, secondary in Str and tertiary in your casting stat.

To be honest, dwarf and gnome would also work. If you feel like going with weapon finesse than halfling would be pretty awesome. Though you'd have trouble when you run into grappling creatures.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-06-24, 04:08 PM
I would sugest doing a monk/sorcerer going into some PRCs latter on...
Halfling monk/sorcerer that is..

Few reasons.

1 you can deliver a touch spell as part of a unarmed strike
2. halfling monks can get a skirmish instead of flurry which is nice so you can move and get an extra d6 dmg
3. theres a feat called asthetic sorcer which allows some stacking of class features.

I wouldn't take any more then 2 levels of monk but the synergies for what you want to do are great.

Also take Weapon finese and max out dex/charisma...

Edit:
crap don't forget weapon focus touch attack or if you go with the monk option weapon focus unarmed strike.
also you can deliver a stunning fist attempt while deliverying a touch attack.
just my thoughts.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-24, 04:34 PM
RagnaroksChosen and Optymistik also make good suggestions in using a sorcerer gish build. Here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=365456) is the enlightened fist optimization guide. I haven't played it. I think it works ok BIJNTU

Frogwarrior
2009-06-24, 05:09 PM
How has nobody mentioned Spectral Hand yet? Make touch attacks AT RANGE with a +2 bonus. Of course, if they manage to hit its highish AC, you lose 1d4 HP, ooh.
Quickened Spectral Hand, Touch of X. Bam.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-24, 05:15 PM
How has nobody mentioned Spectral Hand yet? Make touch attacks AT RANGE with a +2 bonus. Of course, if they manage to hit its highish AC, you lose 1d4 HP, ooh.
Quickened Spectral Hand, Touch of X. Bam.

Absolutely. When you can Quicken it. It's a great NPC spell though heh.

Deth Muncher
2009-06-24, 05:37 PM
3. theres a feat called asthetic sorcer which allows some stacking of class features.

I realize the sorcerors have high CHA, but that doesn't mean they're pretty. You mean Ascetic. :smalltongue:

RagnaroksChosen
2009-06-24, 05:44 PM
I realize the sorcerors have high CHA, but that doesn't mean they're pretty. You mean Ascetic. :smalltongue:

although english was my first languge please treat it as my secound :)

Irreverent Fool
2009-06-24, 05:50 PM
The Spellwarp Sniper (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070220a) from Complete Scoundrel is a decent PrC for this sort of thing. You can take Weapon Focus: Ray as well which iirc works on all ranged touch spells.

obnoxious
sig

Deth Muncher
2009-06-24, 05:55 PM
although english was my first languge please treat it as my secound :)

Oh, think nothing of it. In fact, you should be glad you have a legitimate excuse to make grammatical errors, unlike people who go around spelling "the" as "teh," "own" as "pwn" and "win" as "druid/cleric/wizard/artificer.":smallamused:

SSGoW
2009-06-24, 05:55 PM
there is a PrC that is basically a monk/wizard and you can take your spells and channel them into your fists the need is like monk2/wizardX well actually you just need the feats that you get for free from the monk class

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-24, 06:01 PM
there is a PrC that is basically a monk/wizard and you can take your spells and channel them into your fists the need is like monk2/wizardX well actually you just need the feats that you get for free from the monk class

Enlightened fist (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=365456) from Complete Arcane. The main advantage for this gish is the Arcane Fist feature at PrC level 3 (character level 9) which lets you quicken and deliver a touch spell as part of a full round attack. The drawback is the touch spell is now being delivered through a relatively low BAB melee attack. You probably want the wraithstrike spell as soon as you can get it.

Trickywiggy
2009-06-24, 06:08 PM
Quickened true strikes all the way.

Divine Power wouldnt hurt either, if you can either get a cleric to buff you or just limited wish it on. (or use recaster or wyrm wizard to get it on your spell list)

I made a wizard(diviner)/swordsage/jade pheonix mage who revolved around quicked true strikes.

However I personally have always wanted to play a lich as touch attacker, the d12 is better than a d4. But if you have to be good I would go with a high dex race like halfling or kenku. Somthing without a level adjustment.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-24, 06:22 PM
Divine Power wouldnt hurt either, if you can either get a cleric to buff you That's not going to work.
Range: Personal
Target: You Another character can't give you Divine Power. You need to cast it yourself.

Keld Denar
2009-06-24, 06:40 PM
Another character can't give you Divine Power. You need to cast it yourself.

Another player CAN give you Divine Power, but it takes a lot of work and a couple funny PrCs...

But it is possible :P

Paul H
2009-06-24, 08:21 PM
Hi

What about Duskblade?

Take Arcane Disciple:Spell Domain.

At 17th lvl (5th lvl spells) you get Gtr Anyspell. Use it to polymorph into Firbolg (MM2).
Your 13th lvl ability allows you to channel your touch attack spells (no AoO) through your weapon for all your attacks that round!

With no magical items except a +3 Large Greatsword (Gtr Magic Wpn)?

Firbolg:

Attack: +32/27/22/17
Dam: 3D6+22 + (8D6 Vampiric Wpn) + (D6 Fire Burning Sword) + (5D6 Shocking Grasp)
Base AC 22 (-1 Size, +1 Dex, +12 Natural)
BAB +17
Str 36 Dex 13 Con 23
HP 17D8+102
Base Saves: F 16 R 6 W 10 (plus Wis mod)

Your own magic items will enhance this.
Don't forget the 8D6 Vampiric damage is also added to your own HP! :smallbiggrin:

Downside is no 5th lvl spells until Duskblade 17.

Cheers
Paul H
Edit; Forgot the touch spell thingy, so need to take Improved Unarmed Strike, then just Gtr Magic Wpn your fist.

Zaq
2009-06-24, 09:42 PM
This is going to be a bit out there, but... what about a Noctumancer? Shadowcasters get some really, really nice touch attacks (the entire Touch of Twilight path is dedicated to deadly touch-range mysteries), so it's worth considering, I think, especially if your DM allows early-entry shenanigans (such as Heighten Spell + Versatile Spellcaster). If you don't care about the higher-level mysteries, you can just keep relearning your favorite Touch of Twilight mysteries and getting them quite a few times per day... or you can consider them a bonus on top of your arcane spellcasting.

Also, I'm frankly shocked that Spell Flower hasn't been mentioned yet. Combine it with Girallon's Blessing (SpC) and Arms of Plenty (Lords of Madness) and you'll have, well, lots of touch spells available. And the best part? You can share all of those spells with your familiar. You'll never actually pull this off (this is the ridiculous best-case scenario with unlimited buffing time in which you go full nova... totally unrealistic and will never happen, but fun to daydream about), but you could theoretically cast the two arm spells and Spell Flower on yourself and your familiar, giving you each four new arms and the ability to hold one spell per arm, for a total of six different spells on you and between four to six (depending on your familiar and your DM) on your familiar, all at once, just waiting to give your opponent a hug. Totally unrealistic, but even if you can't get the best-case scenario, spell flower and the arm-granting spells will be really helpful here, I think.

Glimbur
2009-06-24, 09:58 PM
I'm here to argue against Weapon Finesse. Sure, at low levels that couple of extra plus to hit will be great. But after about level 10 or so, it shouldn't be very hard to make your touch attacks. That +5 or so equivalent to hit won't look as nice as more metamagic or something.

Thurbane
2009-06-24, 10:04 PM
Although it would struggle with number of spells known, the Battle Sorcerer variant from UA might be good for this.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-24, 10:29 PM
I'm here to argue against Weapon Finesse. Sure, at low levels that couple of extra plus to hit will be great. But after about level 10 or so, it shouldn't be very hard to make your touch attacks. That +5 or so equivalent to hit won't look as nice as more metamagic or something.

Well that gets to whether the character is being built from 1st level or from higher level. Maybe the answer is to retrain later on and swap the weapon finesse/focus feats for something better when that is a viable option.

An archmage with Arcane Reach, Imprisonment and Quickened True Strike is a good option but getting there with touch-based caster from 1st level is painful...well more painful than usual.

I roughly took the touch-based sorcerer hafling example I used above through a few levels to see the comparisons. It's hardly an uber-build and it's not meant to show how it should be done. Rather it's meant to show spell choices (naturally) become better as level goes up.

LE halfling Sor2
Str 8 Dex 15 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 8 Cha 15
Familiar: raven (no touch attack)
Feats: weapon focus(touch)
Spells Known:
1 - cause fear, shocking grasp
Gear: masterwork light crossbow, spear
AC 13 Spd 20 Init +2 HP 10 For +3 Ref +3 Will +3
Attack Options:
ranged +4 1d6/18/x2
or melee +2 1d6-1/x2
or touch +2 (+5 vs metal armored) 2d8 shock

LE halfling Sor9
Str 8 Dex 15(17) Con 14 Int 12 Wis 8 Cha 17(19)
Familiar: imp (touch attack +9)
Feats: weapon focus(touch), improved familiar(imp), reach spell, rapid metamagic
Spells Known:
1 - true strike, shocking grasp, mage armor, magic missle, feather fall
2 - ghoul touch, scorching ray, darkvision, see invisible
3 - warcry (Book of Exalted Deeds), vampiric touch, fly
4 - greater invisibility, black tentacles
Gear: spear +1 of frost, ring +2, gloves of Dex+2, cloak of Cha+2,
boots of striding and springing, amulet of natural AC +2
AC(with mage armor) 20 Spd 30 Init +3 HP 42 For +6 Ref +7 Will +6
Attack Options:
melee +5 1d6+1d6x2
or (ranged) touch +5 (+9 vs metal armored) 5d6 shock
or (ranged) touch +5 Fort DC16 or humanoid paralyzed for 1d6+1 rounds
or ranged touch +7/+7 4d6 fire
or touch +5 9d6 negative energy (gain half as temporary hp)

LE halfling Sor16
Str 8 Dex 15(19) Con 14 Int 12 Wis 8 Cha 19(23)
Familiar: imp (touch attack +13)
Feats: weapon focus(touch), improved familiar(imp), reach spell, rapid metamagic, weapon finesse, silent spell
Spells Known:
2 - ghoul touch, scorching ray, darkvision, see invisible, resist elements
3 - warcry (Book of Exalted Deeds), vampiric touch, fly, dispel magic
4 - greater invisibility, black tentacles, detect scrying, polymorph
5 - night's caress (Libris Mortis), teleport, storm touch (Magic of Eberron), greater blink
6 - disintegrate, mass suggestion, summon monster VI
7 - hiss of sleep (Spell Compendium), limited wish
8 - irresistable dance
Gear: spear +1 of frost, ring +5, ring of free action, gloves of Dex+4, cloak of Cha+4, boots of striding and springing, amulet of natural AC +4, lesser rod of quicken
AC(with mage armor) 27 Spd 30 Init +3 HP 73 For +8 Ref +10 Will +10
Attack Options (add +20 with quickened true strike 3/day):
melee +8/+3 1d6+1d6x2
or (ranged) touch +13 (+14 vs metal armored) 5d6 shock
or (ranged) touch +13 Fort DC18 or humanoid paralyzed for 1d6+1 rounds
or (ranged) touch +13 10d6 negative energy (gain half as temporary hp)
or (ranged) touch +13 9d6 shock + stunned for 1 round
or (ranged) touch +13 15d6 negative energy + 1d6+2 Con
or (ranged) touch +13 undead flea in panic for 1d4 rounds
or ranged touch +12/+12/+12 4d6 fire
or ranged touch +12 32d6, Fort DC21 for 5d6 damage
or touch +13 subject "dances" for 1d4+1 rounds, no save

So now if we convert the high level sorcerer to an archmage...we find that the touch-attack caster is still better off with weapon finesse...

LE halfling Sor14/Archmage 2
Str 8 Dex 15(19) Con 14 Int 12 Wis 8 Cha 19(23)
Familiar: imp (touch attack +13)
Feats: spell focus:necromancy, improved familiar(imp), skill focus:spellcraft, rapid metamagic, spell focus:enchantment, weapon finesse
High Arcana: Arcane Reach (cost 1 7th level spell slot), Mastery of Elements (cost 1 8th level spell slot)
Spells Known:
2 - ghoul touch, scorching ray, darkvision, see invisible, resist elements
3 - warcry (Book of Exalted Deeds), vampiric touch, fly, dispel magic
4 - greater invisibility, black tentacles, detect scrying, polymorph
5 - night's caress (Libris Mortis), teleport, storm touch (Magic of Eberron), greater blink
6 - disintegrate, mass suggestion, summon monster VI
7 - hiss of sleep (Spell Compendium), limited wish
8 - irresistable dance
Gear: spear +1 of frost, ring +5, ring of free action, gloves of Dex+4, cloak of Cha+4, boots of striding and springing, amulet of natural AC +4, lesser rod of quicken
AC(with mage armor) 27 Spd 30 Init +3 HP 73 For +7 Ref +9 Will +12
Attack Options (add +20 with quickened true strike 3/day):
melee +8/+3 1d6+1d6x2
or (ranged) touch +12 (+15 vs metal armored) 5d6 energy
or (ranged) touch +12 Fort DC19 or humanoid paralyzed for 1d6+1 rounds
or (ranged) touch +12 10d6 negative energy (gain half as temporary hp)
or (ranged) touch +12 9d6 energy + stunned for 1 round
or (ranged) touch +12 15d6 negative energy + 1d6+2 Con
or (ranged) touch +12 undead flea in panic for 1d4 rounds
or ranged touch +12/+12/+12 4d6 fire
or ranged touch +12 32d6, Fort DC21 for 5d6 damage
or touch +12 subject "dances" for 1d4+1 rounds, no save

VestigeArcanist
2009-06-25, 12:39 AM
I still stick by the Halfling Dread Necromancer w/Necropolitan template. You don't lose spell levels like you would if you multiclass, or go into a PrC like Enlighten Fist. You'd have unlimited umber of touch attacks each day, which you may combine with vampiric or shivering touch, self healing, and DR. Invest in the Arcane Disciple and gain some domain spells for touch attacks, and get Craft Wondrous Item so you could Spellstitched yourself and gain a +2 profane bonus to all saves, more DR, and spell-like abilities from conjuration, evocation,
or necromancy schools. (complete arcane) With a d12 hit die, you'll have more HP than any living Caster, and you don't worry about Fortitude checks, your Constitution score, mind affecting spells or sleep. And you can wear pretty decent armor, since light armor doesn't interfere with its spellcasting, so you can breakout the Mithral Chainmail without any problems.

If you could point to a better touch-spellcaster than this, I will concede.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-25, 01:15 AM
Definitely like I said before the Dread Necromancer is a very good suggestion for the OP.

For me though dread necromancer is like those other restricted spell-list classes like the beguiler or warmage. They are good at what they do. I just don't like playing them.

VestigeArcanist
2009-06-25, 01:38 AM
That's more than understandable, I personally would feel too restricted by it (I enjoy the versatility too much). But for touch-attacks this seems to be the best, and superior to gish builds IMO. But you could use the DN as a base for a gish.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-25, 02:56 AM
If you're starting at level 6+, I'd say go Monk 1/ Sorcerer 4/ Enlightened Fist 5/ Master of the East Wind 10. That gets 16th level Monk abilities not counting a Monk's Belt/Tattoo, and 18th level Sorcerer spellcasting with a caster level of 20 with Practiced Spellcaster. Get Ascetic Mage and use Cha instead of Wisdom for AC. Use (Draconic) Polymorph to take a beefy combat form and/or use Wraithstrike so you'll hit more often. Arcane Strike from Complete Warrior is also a good choice. It may not be the best gish build, but it's definitely a viable character.