PDA

View Full Version : Taking a level in Badass (PEACH)

Melamoto
2009-06-24, 02:51 PM
This is my first real attempt at homebrew, for a not-so-serious but pretty interesting class. Please post constructive criticism and ideas for improvement.

Note that it's not quite finished yet, although any more ideas for it would be appreciated.

Badass
Hit dice: D10
Skill points per level: 6+Int modifier
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Badass Points|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Badass Training, Badass Skills|
5|
-

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Overdrive|
9|
+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Badass Mastery|
13|
-

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Badass Weapon Skills|
17|
+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Badass Apotheosis|
20|
-[/table]

Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Profession, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device, Use Rope

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: The Badass gains no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Badass Skills: A Badass has a certain number of Badass points that he can use per day to perform incredible and awe-inspiring manoeuvres. The manoeuvres use up Badass points, but can otherwise be used without constraint barring exception.

Final Blow[i]: A Badass is known to be able to strike the opponent at full power just at the right dramatic moment. This ability does not use a fixed amount of Badass points, and can be used by spending any number of Badass points. This ability can only be used with a single melee attack. The attack deals extra damage equal to the Badass' HD per 2 Badass points spent on the attack.

[i]Improvised skills: A Badass can do anything he wants, even without the necessary training, regardless of the low chance that he could possibly succeed without knowing what he’s doing. A Badass may use this ability to attempt a check untrained, even if it can only be used trained. This ability uses 1 Badass point.

Slaughtering Charge: This ability allows a Badass to charge into battle with high speed and begin his unstoppable assault immediately. A Badass may declare to use this ability when making a charge. He may make a full attack upon completing the charge instead of a single attack. This ability uses 2 Badass points.

Unpredictable Spell: This ability makes a Badass’s spells twist and turn in a completely chaotic fashion, before hitting their target right in the weak spot. A Badass may use this on any of his spells that use attack rolls. When the Badass declares he is casting the spell, he may use this ability to make the opponent class as flat-footed against the spell. This ability uses 2 Badass points.

No one could survive that: A Badass can survive things without a scratch that would bring most others to their knees. A Badass may use this ability as an immediate action when he is attacked or has to make a save. He gains a +10 bonus to his saving throw or a +15 bonus to his AC against an attack. This ability uses 4 Badass points.

Sudden Spell: A Badass can, during a moment of supposed weakness, suddenly conjure up a spell when the opponent is least expecting it. A Badass may use this ability to cast any spell with a casting time of 1 standard action or less as an immediate action. This ability uses 5 Badass points.

Destiny Strike: A Badass is always ready to get the most heroic hit in possible when it is truly needed. A Badass may choose to use this ability before he makes an attack. The attack roll is treated as a Natural 20, and no roll is made to attack. This ability uses 10 Badass points.

Crowning Moment of Awesome: Truly the most powerful and epic ability a Badass can use, driving him into a highly short lived frenzy of power. When a Badass uses this ability, he gains a +10 to Attack rolls, +5 to spell DCs, +3 damage per damage dice used for spells, +15 damage per hit in melee, a +7 dodge bonus to AC, and may make 1 additional movement action per round. This effect lasts for 3 rounds, and using it is a free action. This ability uses 20 Badass points.

Badass Training: A Badass is always capable of making it and winning the day, whether good or bad, and he has supernatural powers and advanced training to make sure this is always the case. A Badass takes no damage from broken glass, allowing him to smash through windows without harm, whether as an entrance or escape. If a Badass must arrive at a destination to stop any event from occurring, there is a (80-the number of minutes until the event) chance that the event will be delayed, in whatever way, until after the Badass arrives. This is an at will ability. If a Badass is emotionally distressed or reduced to 10 hit points or less, he gains a temporary +2 bonus to all stats.

Overdrive: There comes a time when a Badass just doesn’t care anymore, and all hell breaks loose. When a Badass uses this ability, he cannot gain Badass points for the following week. This ability grants a Badass additional Badass points equal to twice the amount the Badass would normally receive for a day as a free action. After the encounter in which the Badass uses this ability is over, the Badass falls unconscious.

Badass Mastery: A Badass can become increasingly capable and effective as he becomes more skilled. A Badass remains fully capable even when reduced to less than 0 hit points, only stopping when dead at -10. This does not automatically make him stable. There is a (80-the number of hours until the event)% chance an event the Badass needs to stop will be delayed until after the Badass arrives. This is an at will ability. If a Badass is emotionally distressed or reduced to 10 hit points or less, he gains a +4 to all stats instead of the normal bonus, works as if a Freedom of Movement effect has been used on him, and gains DR/Magic equal to twice his Badass level.

Badass Weapon Skills: A Badass of 4th level or higher can gain extra skill with any single specific weapon or fighting style he wants. The effect of this depends on the weapon:

Mounted combat: The Badass may perform a Mighty Charge while mounted. This charges him in one direction, and he may make a full attack during the charge, with every enemy within reach as a possible target.

One handed blunt: When the Badass makes a successful melee attack with the selected weapon, the target must make a Fortitude save equal to half the damage dealt, or be dazed for 1 round. This effect cannot happen more within 3 rounds to the same target.

One handed piercing: When the Badass scores a critical hit with the selected weapon, the target takes constitution damage equal to the weapon’s critical hit multiplier. This effect stacks.

One handed slashing: When the Badass makes a successful attack with the selected weapon, the enemy takes 1 damage per round for the next 3 rounds. This may stack without limit.

Bow/Crossbow: The Badass may use a full round action with the selected ranged weapon to use a power shot. This deals normal damage multiplied by the number of attacks the Badass could normally fire in a full attack multiplied by 2. This includes effects such as Rapid Shot which increase numbers of attacks, but not multiple arrow effects such as manyshot.

Two handed blunt: When the Badass makes a successful melee attack with the selected weapon, the hit enemy must make a Fortitude save equal to 15 + the Badass’s strength modifier. If they fail, they are sent 5 feet away from the Badass and knocked prone. This counts as downing an enemy for the purposes of the Cleave and Great Cleave feats.

Two handed piercing: When the Badass attacks with the selected weapon, if his attack roll result is more than 50% higher than the target’s AC, he impales them, dealing extra damage equal to his strength modifier multiplied by his Badass level.

Two handed slashing: When the Badass downs an enemy with the selected weapon, he may make an additional attack against every opponent he threatens.

Two-weapon fighting Wielding: Reduces the penalties the Badass takes from Two-weapon fighting by 2.

Unarmed: You may make use of the Flurry of Blows ability when fighting unarmed. If you can already use Flurry of Blows, or if you gain the ability to after choosing this skill, you may keep your full BAB for every attack in the Flurry.

Whip: The Badass may make attacks of opportunity with whips.

You may also take any one of the following class features as your speciality:

Sneak Attack: When the Badass makes a sneak attack, he deals 1 damage to the target's strength for every 10 points of damage dealt.

Spell: The Badass may select a single spell for this skill. The selected spell is treated as having the Arcane Thesis feat (This stacks with the Arcane Thesis feat). If it deals damage without a save, it also deals 1 extra damage per damage dice. If it allows a save, the DC for the save is increased by 2.

Wild Shape: The Badass may change his shape as a free action (Not swift), and may do so even mid-attack (This includes full attacks), but may not do so during an opponents turn. He may also change shape as an immediate action once every 3 rounds. This change does not count against his Wild Shape uses per day.

Rage: Once per day, the Badass may use a free action while entering Rage to be treated as emotionally distressed for the duration of the rage.

Badass Apotheosis: Upon reaching 5th level, the character finally becomes pure Badass. Natural 1s no longer cause any negative effects; they merely count as a 1. This means that saves can no longer be automatically failed, attacks can no longer automatically miss, etc. If the Badass would die from an attack when he has above -5 hp, the attack only reduces him to -5 hp. If the Badass is emotionally distressed or reduced to 10 hitpoints or less, he gains a +8 to all stats, DR 10/-, works as if a Freedom of Movement effect had been used on him, Spell Resistance equal to double his HD, and is immune to all mind-affecting abilities. If the Badass would die while under this effect, then he stays standing without penalty for 10 rounds or until the end of the encounter. At the point just before he dies, he may make a speech of up to 50 words before he finally dies.

Mando Knight
2009-06-24, 03:01 PM
Badasses should get d12 HD, 6+Int skill points per level, all good saves, and full BAB. They're frickin' badasses, after all. :smalltongue:

Melamoto
2009-06-24, 03:07 PM
Well, I really did consider giving them all good saves and high HD, but then I realised what it would be like for Casters who took the class and gained the benefits of being a badass (More spell improvement ideas coming, including one for the weapon skills) as well as a D12 Hit dice. No, I think i'll have it at D8. Like the skills per level though.

Spiryt
2009-06-24, 03:08 PM
Aside from the silliness of it, there are some nice ideas here.

Namely, Badass Weapon Skills would be great for some feats/abilities.

Mando Knight
2009-06-24, 03:10 PM
Badass should be for non-casters. Like the big bad fighter that just cleaved through a man-o-war in one swing of his greatsword, or the Paladin who challenges a Red Dragon to one-on-one combat... and wins.

On top of that, the abilities you've got listed already are for weapon users, the most badass of which should have 1.) Huge HD, and 2.) full BAB.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-24, 03:16 PM
Badass should be for non-casters. Like the big bad fighter that just cleaved through a man-o-war in one swing of his greatsword, or the Paladin who challenges a Red Dragon to one-on-one combat... and wins.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Melamoto
2009-06-24, 03:19 PM
Well, the traditional "Taking a level in Badass" trope can really apply to anyone. At first, I was reluctant, but then I managed to imagine a caster Badass. Try to think about Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight here. Or, imagine the caster doing the awesome things that you talked about others doing. I gave it a slow caster progression because I didn't want it being raw power for casters. Not raw power. Badass.

TooManySecrets
2009-06-24, 03:23 PM
Nah, I can see a Badass caster, but they have to be a gish. And be able to mix up low-level single target spells with a normal full attack so that they can slice one guy up while blasting another at the same time.

Also, they should get a bonus for wearing shades, but a larger bonus for a single round by taking the shades off.

Capstone ability:
The Villian Has Been Moderately Evil Up Until Now, But This Time He's Gone Too Far By Killing My Love Interest And/Or Best Friend, And Now Nothing Will Stop Me As I Fight On and On Despite Wounds That Would Kill A Normal Man Before I Finally Go Down In An Elegant Dance of Death After Getting My Revenge: When a friend or loved one of the Badass is killed by a villain, then the Badass gains a +4 circumstance bonus on all rolls, +4 dodge bonus to AC, immunity to death effects, and does not die when reaching -10 hit points. This ability remains active for 1 minute or until the villain dies (at which point, the Badass instantly dies if at -10 or less hit points or falls unconscious but stable if he is at -1 or less).

kopout
2009-06-24, 03:28 PM
Capstone ability:
The Villian Has Been Moderately Evil Up Until Now, But This Time He's Gone Too Far By Killing My Love Interest And/Or Best Friend, And Now Nothing Will Stop Me As I Fight On and On Despite Wounds That Would Kill A Normal Man Before I Finally Go Down In An Elegant Dance of Death After Getting My Revenge: When a friend or loved one of the Badass is killed by a villain, then the Badass gains a +4 circumstance bonus on all rolls, +4 dodge bonus to AC, immunity to death effects, and does not die when reaching -10 hit points. This ability remains active for 1 minute or until the villain dies (at which point, the Badass instantly dies if at -10 or less hit points or falls unconscious but stable if he is at -1 or less).
This is know as a Roaring Rampage of Revenge . Because the other name is to long.

Faleldir
2009-06-24, 03:28 PM
I love trope classes! You forgot one essential Badass ability though:

No One Could Survive That (Su)
Once per day, a Badass may add a +10 bonus to one saving throw or his AC against one attack. After using this ability, a Badass remains alive and conscious for at least one round.

Haven
2009-06-24, 03:29 PM

On top of that, the abilities you've got listed already are for weapon users, the most badass of which should have 1.) Huge HD, and 2.) full BAB.

Yeah, this.

Though I am kind of intrigued by the possibility that the badass gains an extremely limited list of spells chosen for the purpose of making them more badass. Like they could learn true strike and stuff along those lines.

Melamoto
2009-06-24, 03:32 PM
Capstone ability:
Added a Capstone ability, similar since it works off of emotional distress. But it doesn't grant him immunity to death effects and death. I may consider something like that though.

I love trope classes! You forgot one essential Badass ability though:

No One Could Survive That (Su)
Once per day, a Badass may add a +10 bonus to one saving throw or his AC against one attack. After using this ability, a Badass remains alive and conscious for at least one round.
I think i'll add that as a new Badass skill. Probably with a 4 point cost, and better AC bonus.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-24, 03:33 PM
Capstone ability:

You forgot one thing...if the villain dies, the Badass gets at least a minute to live (although he cannot regain HP through any means during this time). He has to deliver that last speech, or final, meaningful blow before dropping dead. Otherwise it's anticlimactic.

TooManySecrets
This is know as a Roaring Rampage of Revenge . Because the other name is to long.

Nah, you can just abbreviate it as: TVHBMEUNBTTHHGTFBKMYLIA/OBFANNWSMASIFOAODWTWKANMBIFGDIAEDODAGMR

Added a Capstone ability, similar since it works off of emotional distress. But it doesn't grant him immunity to death effects and death. I may consider something like that though.

I was actually just basing it off the frenzied berserker. Immunity to death effects was because he "laughs in the face of death".

Yora
The first moment I opend up the class description, I thought I read "Baldness" among the class features. I think that would make a very badass class feature. ^^

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-24, 03:38 PM
The first moment I opend up the class description, I thought I read "Baldness" among the class features. I think that would make a very badass class feature. ^^

Hmmm...granting you a Headbutt attack? Or causing you to be immune to mind-affecting attacks? Or, perchance, for those shiny-headed bald badasses...allowing you to blind foes in natural sunlight?

Melamoto
2009-06-24, 04:00 PM
Added a new 20 Badass point cost skill, Crowning moment of awesome. I more or less strung that one together just now, so it's probably not balanced.

Yora
2009-06-24, 05:12 PM
Hmmm...granting you a Headbutt attack? Or causing you to be immune to mind-affecting attacks? Or, perchance, for those shiny-headed bald badasses...allowing you to blind foes in natural sunlight?
Badassery is all about appearance. :smallamused:

Spiryt
2009-06-24, 05:14 PM

Or maybe....

Immunity to head parasites?

DUM DUM DUM!

J.Gellert
2009-06-24, 05:53 PM
You forgot Badass Unarmed... Roundhouse kick for weapon skills? :smallsmile:

Dante & Vergil
2009-06-24, 06:15 PM
Sweet, I can still get 9th level spells out of this!!!

Melamoto
2009-06-25, 11:50 AM
Ok, just added Unarmed, and added class features to the list of specialties. Right now, I have Wild Shape, Spells and Sneak Attack on the list.

Myrmex
2009-06-26, 11:33 AM
Well, I really did consider giving them all good saves and high HD, but then I realised what it would be like for Casters who took the class and gained the benefits of being a badass (More spell improvement ideas coming, including one for the weapon skills) as well as a D12 Hit dice. No, I think i'll have it at D8. Like the skills per level though.

I think that's an ok trade off for only progressing at 1/2 caster, though.

It is a really awesome class.

Oh, and I think you need a Freedom of Movement ability- maybe spend 2 points and get freedom of movement for a number of rounds equal to your badass level. That way you won't get stymied by webs or dragons grappling you.

Kris Strife
2009-06-29, 08:46 AM
Hm... Would shouting 'Who the Hell do you think I am!?' do anything?

Melamoto
2009-07-18, 03:35 AM
Ok then, added Freedom of Movement to Badass Mastery/Apotheosis, gave a D10 Hit Die, and allowed Rage specialisation.