PDA

View Full Version : Useful feats for 4e arcane casters

Eurantien
2009-06-24, 03:19 PM
Hey. I play a warlock-wizard mulitclass in 4e. Personally, I don't see the point of feats, or at least, I don't think there are many useful ones for arcane casters. Any thoughts?

alchemyprime
2009-06-24, 03:40 PM
Um... core only? If you're a starlock, you HAVE to pick up Wintertouched and grab every cold spell you can from either class.

Why? Combat advantage. Ever so useful.

Also... I'd say grab yourself that one... necrotic/psychic feat and the cold/acid one. Um... Dark Fury and Burning Blizzard I beleive.

Improved Initiative is good for all...

And so is Toughness/Durable if you can't pick a feat.

Just my 2cp.

Kol Korran
2009-06-24, 03:43 PM
how about impement expertise (wand)? wands help both the warlock and wizards powers, so that can help you with your hitting chances

Gralamin
2009-06-24, 04:10 PM
Dual Implement Spellcaster
Implement Expertise
Most of the Feats from the Starlock D&DI Article.
Warlock and Wizard Feats from Arcane Power

Give me a race and which path of Wizard and Warlock, and I can give a lot more detail.

mikeejimbo
2009-06-24, 04:12 PM
I like Danger Sense.

Kurald Galain
2009-06-24, 04:14 PM
(1) arcane familiar
(2) improved initiative (or quickdraw, per the guide in my sig)
(3) sacrifice to caiphon
(4) enlarge spell

RTGoodman
2009-06-24, 04:45 PM
If you're worried about area spells hitting your allies, I particularly like War Wizardry (Paragon, FRPG; -5 attack against allies with your arcane spells, and your spells do half damage to allies). If it weren't limited to Wizard spells only, you could retrain that into Spell Accuracy (Epic; omit a number of squares up to your Wis mod from Wizard spells).

Spell Focus (Paragon) is also pretty good if you're throwing around (save ends) effects a lot, which, as a Warlock/Wizard, you probably are.

nows7
2009-06-24, 10:20 PM
If you're worried about area spells hitting your allies, I particularly like War Wizardry (Paragon, FRPG; -5 attack against allies with your arcane spells, and your spells do half damage to allies). If it weren't limited to Wizard spells only, you could retrain that into Spell Accuracy (Epic; omit a number of squares up to your Wis mod from Wizard spells).

It's not, it is ARCANE spells only... I've got my eye on it when my sorcerrer makes it to paragon.

RTGoodman
2009-06-24, 11:36 PM
It's not, it is ARCANE spells only... I've got my eye on it when my sorcerrer makes it to paragon.

War Wizardry is any arcane spell, but Spell Accuracy (at least as it appears in the Compendium and Character Builder) says:

Spell Accuracy
Epic Tier
Prerequisite: 21st level, Wizard
Benefit: You can omit a number of squares from the area of effect of any of your area or close wizard powers. This number can’t exceed your Wisdom modifier.

My phrasing might have been a little awkward, though, so sorry if that's part of the confusion. :smallredface:

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-06-25, 12:59 AM
If you are going Infernalock/Wizard (my favorite 4e build), I'd suggest multiclass paragon and demigod epic. The feats taken should focus on survival and accuracy and the aforementioned Wintertouched is a solid pick.

Gralamin
2009-06-25, 02:04 AM
If you are going Infernalock/Wizard (my favorite 4e build), I'd suggest multiclass paragon and demigod epic. The feats taken should focus on survival and accuracy and the aforementioned Wintertouched is a solid pick.

Multiclass paragon is over all a terrible option.

Kurald Galain
2009-06-25, 03:38 AM

Absolutely.

Pick a good paragon path, that's what they're there for.

potatocubed
2009-06-25, 03:44 AM
Leather armour proficiency is often a useful choice.
Enlarge spell is a must have, but that's from... Arcane Power? I can't remember.

Charity
2009-06-25, 04:10 AM

It can be worth it for various half elf builds, but in general I quite agree, PMC needs a boost before it becomes viable.

Gawaeyn
2009-06-25, 05:22 AM
Are the White Lotus feats allowed? :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Eurantien
2009-06-25, 09:26 AM
Leather armour proficiency is often a useful choice.
Enlarge spell is a must have, but that's from... Arcane Power? I can't remember.

I'm an infernal warlock/wizard, 17 con, 15 Int. So I HAVE leather armour proficiency. I would also like to stress that this is still HEROIC tier, I'm only level 6, and I have a good idea of what to do for my paragon path, the wizard of the spiral tower or whatever it is allows you to substitute a longsword for a wand. Just because I like the idea.

Edit: I will fish out my copy of the starlock article. I forgot about that one :smallredface:

RTGoodman
2009-06-25, 01:18 PM
Oh, you know what else is awesome that I don't think anyone else has mentioned? Arcane Implement Proficiency.

It lets you choose any implement that ANY class can use, and you can then use it for all arcane spells you cast. It'd let you use orbs for your Warlock spells, rods for your Wizard spells, a heavy blade for either of them (since Swordmages can use heavy blades as implements), and so on. Just pick what kind of implement works best or is most awesome, and you're set.

Asbestos
2009-06-25, 05:50 PM
Are the White Lotus feats allowed? :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

I recall reading that article and not walking away impressed... what exactly did I miss?

mistformsquirrl
2009-06-25, 05:55 PM
Oh, you know what else is awesome that I don't think anyone else has mentioned? Arcane Implement Proficiency.

It lets you choose any implement that ANY class can use, and you can then use it for all arcane spells you cast. It'd let you use orbs for your Warlock spells, rods for your Wizard spells, a heavy blade for either of them (since Swordmages can use heavy blades as implements), and so on. Just pick what kind of implement works best or is most awesome, and you're set.

*jots down*

<. .> You have just given me an idea for a character. Muwahahahahaaaaaa

>.> *runs away fast*

*hits a wall*

<x.x> Ow... *stumble away*

Mando Knight
2009-06-25, 08:15 PM
It lets you choose any implement that ANY (arcane) class can use, and you can then use it for all arcane spells you cast.

Clarification is in parentheses...

NPCMook
2009-06-25, 08:20 PM
I recall reading that article and not walking away impressed... what exactly did I miss?

White Lotus Riposte, Arcane Admixture(Cold to an at-will), Lasting Frost, I forget the other one, and Wintertouched I believe is the combo

RTGoodman
2009-06-25, 10:34 PM
Clarification is in parentheses...

Ah, right - I always forget about non-arcane classes using implements. I was thinking holy symbols were a separate thing. (And I just ignored Primal classes, I guess.) :smalltongue:

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-25, 10:40 PM
Also... I'd say grab yourself that one... necrotic/psychic feat and the cold/acid one. Um... Dark Fury and Burning Blizzard I believe.

+1. All Witchalocks should be badass enough to channel the Elementials of Fieriness and Bedarkening.

Kurald Galain
2009-06-26, 03:26 AM
Also... I'd say grab yourself that one... necrotic/psychic feat and the cold/acid one. Um... Dark Fury and Burning Blizzard I beleive.

I'd recommend against that, actually. +1 damage for a feat isn't that great a choice, moreso if it only works on a few of your powers.

By the current ruleset, you can use a staff (being a wizard) and take Weapon Focus: Staff for the same bonus to all of your spells.

Artanis
2009-06-26, 11:09 AM
I thought they had shot that down in some ruling or errata or something :smallconfused:

Kurald Galain
2009-06-26, 11:33 AM
I thought they had shot that down in some ruling or errata or something :smallconfused:

I should hope so, but I haven't seen it yet, and the self-contradicting custserv has recently been promoted to Official Rules Source.

If you have a link to confirm that weapon feats don't work on implements, please tell me. In the meantime that shall just stand as a houserule when I DM.

Burley
2009-06-26, 11:40 AM
If you have a link to confirm that weapon feats don't work on implements, please tell me. In the meantime that shall just stand as a houserule when I DM.

I second this. Everybody needs to flashmob the CustServ to get an official answer on this.
Seriously, I call a flashmob. Also, Shenanigans.

Artanis
2009-06-26, 11:43 AM
I should hope so, but I haven't seen it yet, and the self-contradicting custserv has recently been promoted to Official Rules Source.

I don't have a link, hence the :smallconfused:

:smallfrown: