PDA

View Full Version : Karma Angler

Jestir256
2006-02-19, 07:01 PM
I'm working on a monster for a campaign set in the Outer Planes and Outlands. It would be a Huge antinlion-like creature with a burrow speed of 30' and a very unusual lure on the end of its tongue: A replica of the top half of a small human child. When the Karma Angler's tremorsense and "detect good" tells it that good creatures are nearby, it would cause the replica to flail about and shout "help me! I've fallen in a hole!" Good creature approaches, Karama Angler lurches up beneath them and attempts to Swallow Whole.

...The thing is, I want to creat at least an "evil" equivalent, but I can't decide what the lure would be. The bottom half of an elf maiden? What would lure in evil creatures and no others? And, if you really wanna show off, can you think of lures for Law and Chaos?

Maxymiuk
2006-02-19, 07:04 PM
The bottom half of an elf maiden?

*cough*

I dare not ask... :-X

McBish
2006-02-19, 07:05 PM
Reminds me of the Tick, the good cartoon version. When the Tick goes into the sewer with sewer urchin and he discovers a big fish with a wallet on the end of a dangly thing attached to it's head. Anyway to your idea I suggest offering tresure as bait.

Jestir256
2006-02-19, 07:09 PM
See, the problem with treasure is that it would lure ANYONE. The idea is that this monster feeds on karma, not flesh, so it only desires the flesh of the evil or good.

Bug-a-Boo
2006-02-19, 07:28 PM
ummm...

A box labeled "Perfect plans for world domination" ?

A book titled "Massacre's for beginners" ?

Or how about a top-half of an adult man that wiggles and yells: "Hahaha!! I am the most evil nananananana!!!" ?

Toliudar
2006-02-19, 07:35 PM
The difficulty is that most PC's are programmed to suspect obvious lures, so anything that obviously is meant to appeal to an alignment (person in need/person who can be taken advantage of/whatever) will in fact send off huge alarm bells.

What about if the creature can detect thoughts, and form the tip of its whatever into something that would appeal to the creatures whose thoughts "taste" right to it. For a paladin, it might in fact be a troll who says "Raargh" and then "runs away" down the hole. For the LE Rogue, a jewel-bedecked someone-or-other.

Nasrudith
2006-02-19, 11:05 PM
An evil equivilant that would lure evil would lure the evil would be a black obsidan statue of a malviiolent figure holding a clearly evil blade with the skull of an infant in it's hilt in one hand and an infernal covered tome. It would be a lure of evil seeking power. When detect magic is used they both appear extremly magical.

Jestir256
2006-02-19, 11:11 PM
That lures selfish evil, not plain 'ol evil. Neutrals and even goods could still be drawn in. I need a lure that gives the tempting OPPORTUNITY to do evil.

starwoof
2006-02-19, 11:17 PM
The human child works fine.

Angler: Help me, im falling into a hole!
Evil Dude: Come on! Lets go push him in!

Seffbasilisk
2006-02-19, 11:17 PM
Well the 'good' lure wouldnt always work...an evil person might shoot the kid to shut him up.

Culwch
2006-02-20, 03:24 AM
Why don't you just roll a will save for the victim (in secret), if they fail their save they see whatever appeals to them. Sort of like Phantasmal Killer.