PDA

View Full Version : Picture Question

Guru
2009-06-24, 08:12 PM
So, I do Photoshop work, but mainly web design stuff. Now, I was wondering, for you avatar creators here, what program do you use for your avatar creation? I tried to make something, and I put a stroke around the my vectors, but I kinda get a crappy outline and... ya know? So I was just wondering what programs people use here.

Flickerdart
2009-06-24, 08:14 PM
Illustrator is the tool of choice, I believe, but Flash works remarkably well.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-06-24, 08:17 PM
I think many of them use Inkscape.

Guru
2009-06-24, 08:17 PM
Excellent. Thanks. I'll try out Illustrator sometime.

I've never heard of Inkscape, I'll check it out.

Flickerdart
2009-06-24, 08:19 PM
Excellent. Thanks. I'll try out Illustrator sometime.
Illustrator is not very user-friendly, though. You might say it's antagonistic. Start out with Flash, it's much more intuitive in that respect, even if not as powerful.

SDF
2009-06-24, 08:20 PM
I use inkscape (Not that I make many avatars >_>) It's a neat little program, but very different than photoshop in the way you use it.

Ego Slayer
2009-06-24, 09:10 PM
Adobe Illustrator will cost you monies. Inkscape (what I use as well) is effectively the same thing, and free to download (and we even have an awesome guide for it [got the link somewhere]). If you're just planning on making some avatars, go for the free, simple option. :smalltongue: Photostop/Flash and AI/Inkscape are obviously different, though. IMHO, vector is easier than raster and I praise those who are able to pull off raster avatars, 'cos I'd be scared as hell to try that. :P

Recaiden
2009-06-24, 09:12 PM
Having used a few things, I find Inkscape to be the best.

averagejoe
2009-06-24, 09:34 PM
(and we even have an awesome guide for it [got the link somewhere]).

The hero from The Legend of Zelda. (http://www.trazoi.net/tutorials/inkscape/oots/)

Guru
2009-06-24, 09:53 PM
Excellent. Thank you all. I think I've gotten my answer.