PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Dragonlance Material

Blackjackg
2009-06-24, 10:42 PM
Does anyone use it?

There are a few books out there of the Dragonlance setting updated with 3.5 rules. Seem to come from various publishers, but all with the WotC stamp on it, so I consider it at least semi-official content.

Anyway, I enjoy some of the material and hope to incorporate some of it into future campaigns I run. Most of the prestige classes, races, and feats are kind of underpowered or over-complicated, but I like the new base classes they introduce (particularly the Noble and the Mariner), and several of the monsters are very usable.

What are people's thoughts on the Dragonlance setting in the new millenium?

Emy
2009-06-24, 10:46 PM
Dragon Rider is pretty cool, and way better than the similarly named Draconomicon class. Seems like it's best as a dip, though.

I also really like the Dynamic Priest and Academic Priest feats.

Josh the Aspie
2009-06-25, 12:17 AM
I personally liked the Solminic Knight prestige classes in the version of the campaign book I have (which I believe to be for 3.5). It captured the feel of 3 different orders, only requires a single level of caster loss if you enter the knight of the sword class right when able with your statistics, gives near full BAB (you can either loose 3 caster levels and 2 points of BAB, or loose 1 caster level, and 3 points of BAB).

It also allows multiple different progressions through the class, giving a different look at a paladin-esque class. It also has a different code from the standard paladin.

Doc Roc
2009-06-25, 12:23 AM
It's actually mostly great, particularly the Age of Mortals book. Take it from a CO guy, we'd all be better off if more 3.5 books had been held to the standards that age of mortals hits. It's not incredible, but it's very solid, and has a lot of good options, interesting feats, and PrCs that are very unique. Admittedly, some are terrible, but... Can't have everything.

I'll disagree here, and say that I think mariner is god awful and hideously underpowered. You couldn't pay me to play it. :S

ErrantX
2009-06-25, 02:05 AM
I really like the material for the setting, but I mostly suggest only sticking to the Core book and the Age of Mortals supplement as far as feats and classes. Mariner is awful, but Mystic is decent (especially when coupled with the Citadel Mystic PrC) and sorcerer gets a lot of love as well (especially with the Academy Sorcerer PrC). The Knight classes are all awesome (don't even look at the Knightly Orders of Ansalon book, it's tripe for anything but backstory). I also really love the feats in the Twins book that came out. Lots of good materials, some hit or miss, but overall more solid than a lot of WotC books.

-X

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-25, 08:20 AM
War Mage from Age of Mortals is my favorite Dragonlance PrC. By the end you add +3 damage per die to your spells, making blasting useful without going the ridiculous metamagic route (so you can actually blast and do something else) and you can grant morale bonuses to allies' AC, making buffing exceptionally easy (and again, letting you buff them and do something else).

Blackjackg
2009-06-25, 08:51 AM
I'll disagree here, and say that I think mariner is god awful and hideously underpowered. You couldn't pay me to play it. :S

They revised the Mariner in "Legends of the Twins"... gave it full BAB and a few other perks. Of course, dirty strike still sucks, but less so.

Doc Roc
2009-06-25, 09:25 AM
Could you give me an ISBN for legend of the twins?
I've never known WotC to revise a crappy class into something better, so now I have to look! :)

Blackjackg
2009-06-25, 09:38 AM
Could you give me an ISBN for legend of the twins?

1-931567-31-X

Published by Sovereign Press.

mostlyharmful
2009-06-25, 11:08 AM
I use it, run a couple of campaigns with it and I've stolen monsters for most of the games I run. It's good with the standerd dragonlance proviso that you ignore everything after the test of the twins.

gets the flavour right for dragonlance and doesn't break the mechanics, I get the feeling it was writen by people who actually play the game and like the books which isn't something I feel often with 3.5 supplements.