PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Attack- Undead

Weirdlet
2009-06-25, 03:23 AM
I'm curious (and a little desperate to continue to be relevant to the 15th level game I've been in the last few years as a rogue)- are there any feats, classes, items, etc, that allow one to sneak-attack undead? Anywhere? Ever?

Myrmex
2009-06-25, 03:29 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67992

and if that's not enough

google is your friend (http://www.google.com/search?q=D%26D+sneak+attack+undead&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

Curmudgeon
2009-06-25, 03:35 AM
The best option specifically to fight undead is the Skullclan Hunter prestige class (Miniatures Handbook). Once you get 2 levels of that you can sneak attack undead.

A couple of alternative class features are also good bets:
Penetrating Strike (Dungeonscape) - trade trap sense to do 1/2 normal sneak attack damage against those normally immune, but only when you flank them.
Death's Ruin (Complete Champion) - trade trap sense to do 1/2 normal sneak attack damage against undead.
The easiest approach involves magic. You can attach Greater Truedeath weapon augment crystals (Magic Item Compendium) to any +3 or greater weapon, and do full sneak attack damage against undead.

You can also use Grave Strike, a 1st level Cleric spell, to allow sneak attack against undead for 1 round. It's a swift action spell. The Rules Compendium updated the trigger time to match the normal casting time, so Use Magic Device and a wand will allow one round of sneak attack. But you can also buy wands with metamagic feats pre-applied, and Extend Spell only bumps this up to 2nd level.

Person_Man
2009-06-25, 08:41 AM
As Curmudgeon already pointed out, Skullclan Hunter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56795) is great if you know you're going to fight a lot of undead. Not only does Sneak Attack apply to Undead, but it automatically applies to undead on every attack (no need for flanking or denied Dex). The pre-reqs to get in suck though, and it doesn't offer much in terms of non-anti-undead class features.

Anywho, three wands, one each of Gravestrike, Vinestrike, and Golemstrike is all you really need (all in Spell Compendium). If you're a strait Rogue build, then the Savvy Rogue feat from Complete Rogue will let your Crippling Strike Special Ability apply against immune creatures as well.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-25, 11:56 AM
Also the spell Grave Strike (CAdv p150) [Clr1 Pal1] – Swift. You can Sneak Attack Undead for 1 round.

Crystal Keep (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php) is your friend.

ColdSepp
2009-06-25, 11:58 AM
Greater Truedeath Crystal - MiC - is the best method, IMO.

Keld Denar
2009-06-25, 12:01 PM
Complete Rogue

I must aquire this book! Do you know where I can find it?

:P

Should say Complete Scoundrel

only1doug
2009-06-25, 12:12 PM
Magic Item Compendium also has a weapon enchantment that allows sneak attack on undead. its a +1 bonus enchant the has a prerequisite of a seperate +1 enchant.

ghost touch weapon (+1)
ghost strike? weapon (+1) (requires ghost touch)

I'm away from my books or I'd look it up.

Weirdlet
2009-06-25, 01:04 PM
Thank you all- This is very helpful.

For your information, my gal is formerly a Rogue11/Shadowdancer 1/Bard 2, and we just leveled in time for this Saturday's game. I have just reworked her to be Rogue 11/Bard 3/Virtuoso 1, with Shadow Striker to cover the whole constant-sneak-attack thing she had from spamming Hide in Plain Sight, Focused Performer, Focused Performance, and Requiem filling in the new feats/feats freed up from that Shadowdancer level. My other feats are Improved Feint, Weapon Finesse and (from taking a bonus feat instead of a special ability) Chaos Music- my gal's not human.

We have also just recently gotten a huge trove of loot that we hadn't seen in several levels, so one or more of these items is no longer out of the question.

Overall, that Truedeath thing sounds most interesting, although if I shuffle some skillpoints into Use Magic Device those wands might be the cheapest alternative.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-25, 08:00 PM
Also the spell Grave Strike (CAdv p150) [Clr1 Pal1] – Swift. You can Sneak Attack Undead for 1 round.

Greater Truedeath Crystal - MiC - is the best method, IMO.
Has this become a write-only forum? I'm pretty sure I already mentioned both of these. :smallmad:

Kosjsjach
2009-06-26, 01:33 AM
Has this become a write-only forum? I'm pretty sure I already mentioned both of these. :smallmad:

*pats you on the back consolingly*
Everyone knows you got there first. Other people like to feel helpful now and again, too. :smallwink:
(I'm just sayin', it's nothing worth getting upset over.)

Thurbane
2009-06-26, 01:41 AM
Not only does Sneak Attack apply to Undead, but it automatically applies to undead on every attack (no need for flanking or denied Dex).
I don't think this is how it actually works - although the wording is a little ambiguous. I asked the same in the Q&A by RAW thread and got a resounding "No".