PDA

View Full Version : Prestidigitation Fun

oxinabox
2009-06-25, 04:39 AM
What fun have you had with Prestidigitation
prestigition's fun.

in 3.5 my wizard has a feud with the cleric who is the party leader.
earlier that day i used presignation to create a temporary shrine to 3 gods.
Created some candles. some statues. used 7 presignations.
Disappeared after an hour or so, but by then my character was over his relegious need.
We were at an orphanage and i mangaged to convice the children that he was sop tough that they could beat him with sticks and he wouldn't be hurt.
Which is true they couldn't touch him not with his AC.
But then he convinced them to attack me 'cos i was twice as tough.
They beat me almost to unconsciousness, before he called them off.

we were about to head off when someone in the party said they should was before we left.
I cleaned the who party.
THe cleric uses create water above my head.
I presignation dry. then create mud above his.

The DM's like;
"You know you do have still have to prepare a finite ammount of 0th level spells you know. how many prestidigitation did you prepare today."

"None, I have a wand"
He groans.
My character opens his jacket relieving a wand for each of the lvl 0 spells.
"They were going cheap, ok?"

He did (at our first game) expressly say i could buy a wand for any spell, if i used the base cost rules form DMG.

So what have people with Prestidigitation?

Glass Mouse
2009-06-25, 05:18 AM
Prestidigitation is an awesome spell :smallbiggrin:

Haven't had the opportunity to do much with it, myself. But it was pretty funny when my new bard character was introduced (no one knew she was a bard, neither that she knew magic), and the (maniac) sorcerer decided to impress her by making music and creating a bouquet of flowers which he gallantly gave her. And she was just looking at him, like, "Yeah, that's impressive.... to a peasant!"

Another time, same sorcerer used a prestidigitation when we were hunted by a beast sniffing its way to us. The spell removed our scents, and we were reasonably safe.

A third time, he was just plain weird when he decided we needed theme music. For half an our or so we were accompanied by a silly tune - until my bard got angry and decided to drown out the sound with her own music.

I have to use that spell a lot more...

Hat-Trick
2009-06-25, 12:25 PM
Should have turned his armor pink. Or his hair. Whatever, it has the same effect.

Coplantor
2009-06-25, 01:41 PM
Paint your face black, don a closed face helmet, wear some black robes. Use prestidigitation to create bright red light dots where the eyes should be and why not ghost sound to add a little creepiness. That just has to give you an intimidate bonus!

BenTheJester
2009-06-25, 01:58 PM
My party was in a town we were just passing through.

I went shopping and used prestidigitation to turn my copper pieces into gold pieces(well just the color).

One successful Bluff check later and I had a +1 weapon for 20 gp

Jane_Smith
2009-06-25, 02:03 PM
Ah yes, the old money-scheme. I had a rogue that took 1 level in wizard just to do that... of course, she would usually find some way of stealing her few coins back, she was that cheap.

talus21
2009-06-25, 02:09 PM
I used it make my name appear above my head when ever I won a battle. It would shoot up like a fire work spell my name and shoot off sparks. I'd then use ghost sound to make a faint chanting of my name. My little halfling was a blast.

Also used it to make a Half-Orc bounce smell like a pig sty. Almost died for that one. :smallbiggrin:

Eurantien
2009-06-25, 02:12 PM
I once used it to soil a satyr piper's pipes. Suffice to say, he stopped playing them.

Arcane Copycat
2009-06-25, 02:18 PM
The party wizard recreated guitar hero...

Random832
2009-06-25, 02:57 PM
0th level wands in the table cost 375gp, but the Create Wand formula gives 0gp - did you trick the DM into allowing it for 0gp, or did you pay 375 for each one?

SSGoW
2009-06-25, 03:22 PM
I used it make my name appear above my head when ever I won a battle. It would shoot up like a fire work spell my name and shoot off sparks. I'd then use ghost sound to make a faint chanting of my name. My little halfling was a blast.

lol i tended to do somthing like that but i added in final fantasy music after every win and during a level up haha

talus21
2009-06-25, 03:30 PM
lol i tended to do somthing like that but i added in final fantasy music after every win and during a level up haha

Well the music might have over ridden his name. He could have never of had that. :smalltongue:

Frogwarrior
2009-06-25, 04:30 PM
0th level wands in the table cost 375gp, but the Create Wand formula gives 0gp - did you trick the DM into allowing it for 0gp, or did you pay 375 for each one?

Actually, it also says that for purposes of cost a 0-level spell counts as level 1/2.

SSGoW
2009-06-25, 04:43 PM
lol

that is true.... of course having theme music is always fun (that only your team mates can hear)

oxinabox
2009-06-25, 07:55 PM

375gp, and i only bought 3 or so.
Presigtation, light, umm couple of others, I know i didn't have daze, ray of frost, or mending.
Seeing as how nomater your int without pearls of power etc, you can only cast 4 lvl 0 spells. I can't see any reason why any mid level wizard (who was getting adiquite cash flow) wouldn't stock up.

another fun:
I just learned lightnight bolt.
now we were ast a tavern and a commoner comes and shoves my orc friend
(the only memeber of the party who had shown kindesses to my elf, the racist attitude of humans in this world made the orc seem nice.)
The commoner shove the orc "WHat are you doing on my seat?"
I cast lightning bolt.
DM: "The commoner is ash on the floor"
Me: "oh... they don't have HP's or and lighting resistance?" my character form the outset had never though of anyone with out power as being important. he's working on rectifying the appearance of that.
PC: "Don't let him worry you friend" - to the orc.
The town guard bursts in:
PC casts presigitiation, take out a pipe from his jacket (that wasn't there before) and taps it upside down to shake out the ash. (directly above where the commoner was).
PC:" what can i do for you officers? I'm just having a peaceful smoke."
DM: "THere were witnesses..."
me: "It's ok we're part of the elite of the army they can let some commoners slide."
NPC (our coimmander, hwho had just teliported in): "Your lucky i don't have your courtmashelled for this"

He put a Mark of justice on me.
But house ruled so that it had the same removable conditions as a geas.

Anxe
2009-06-25, 09:40 PM
I always used Prestidigitation for its make clothes wet ability. I'd just wet the crotch area. Perfect...

Deth Muncher
2009-06-25, 09:47 PM
You realize each casting of Prestidigitation lasts for an hour, right? And in that hour, you can keep doing the effects of that spell? I'm 99% sure that's how it works.

Lappy9000
2009-06-25, 09:50 PM
One of the only things I like about fourth edition is that wizards get Prestidigitation as an At-Will power.

Played a Dwarven Wizard who honestly believed that his beard gave him power. He 'buffed' the party with crude mustaches whenever he had a Free Action to burn. He was baffled when his allies took off the mustaches!

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-25, 10:03 PM
I used prestidigitation to cook a giant crab. While it was still living. My DM let it slide for coolness effect.

...What? I had a helmet that let me use it at will and a move speed that was three times faster than the crab :smallbiggrin:

Hat-Trick
2009-06-25, 10:05 PM
A casting of prestidigitation grants one hour of cosmetic changes, at least that's how I do it.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-25, 10:08 PM
You realize each casting of Prestidigitation lasts for an hour, right? And in that hour, you can keep doing the effects of that spell? I'm 99% sure that's how it works.

That is indeed how it works. You can use any and all of the effects, together or separately, however you like until the duration runs out.

oxinabox
2009-06-25, 10:15 PM
I used prestidigitation to cook a giant crab. While it was still living. My DM let it slide for coolness effect.

...What? I had a helmet that let me use it at will and a move speed that was three times faster than the crab :smallbiggrin:

Well if you have that it cound;t have won anyway.
You could have killed it by pelting it with rocks you picked up from the ground.
So it matters not how you killed it.
Only how it tastes.

Dragonmuncher
2009-06-25, 10:18 PM
This actually always slightly confused me. So, is this the way it works?

-I cast Prestidigitation. I make a coin appear in my hand, turn it bright green, make it taste like chocolate pudding, and then pop it in my mouth. A half hour later, I spit it out, turning it into sparkles that I make swoosh around and settle into a small puddle of mud, which I magically clean.

Or do I have to cast Prest. for each of those effects, and it's simply the duration of the effect lasts an hour?

oxinabox
2009-06-25, 10:20 PM
once each time

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-25, 10:21 PM
I cast Prestidigitation. I make a coin appear in my hand, turn it bright green, make it taste like chocolate pudding, and then pop it in my mouth. A half hour later, I spit it out, turning it into sparkles that I make swoosh around and settle into a small puddle of mud, which I magically clean.

That one. You cast it once, and for an hour, you can do anything and everything in the spell description:

Once cast, a prestidigitation spell enables you to perform simple magical effects for 1 hour.

theMycon
2009-06-25, 10:27 PM
As the spell name literally means "sleight of hand", I personally use it entirely as a stage magician might. That said, in a high-magic world, it's really easy to convince someone your hat is a Decanter of Endless Rabbits, until you get out of the room.

Shpadoinkle
2009-06-25, 10:34 PM
once each time

Nope. Prestidigitation grants you the ability, for one hour, to do anything the spell describes. You can turn a coin into a ring, turn a strip of cloth into a flower, and turn all your copper pieces plaid with a single casting, provided you do all those things within the space of one hour. After the hour is up, they all return to normal, yes, but creating a single effect doesn't cause the spell to end. It's never been "one casting = one effect that lasts an hour."

SilverSheriff
2009-06-25, 10:46 PM
did anyone have a lot of trouble understanding the OP? or was it just me?:smalleek:

Fishy
2009-06-25, 11:01 PM
Whenever she had a few spare moments, my bard would Prestidigitation up some knitting needles and yarn, and see how much of a scarf she could make before the spell ended. It was a weird and stressful campaign for her, and she found it comforting, what can I say.

Claudius Maximus
2009-06-25, 11:13 PM
did anyone have a lot of trouble understanding the OP? or was it just me?:smalleek:

You should keep in mind that not everyone here speaks English as their first language. Others simply have horrendous grammar and spelling. I'm not sure which applies to the OP.

Random832
2009-06-25, 11:17 PM
Nope. Prestidigitation grants you the ability, for one hour, to do anything the spell describes. You can turn a coin into a ring, turn a strip of cloth into a flower, and turn all your copper pieces plaid with a single casting, provided you do all those things within the space of one hour. After the hour is up, they all return to normal, yes, but creating a single effect doesn't cause the spell to end. It's never been "one casting = one effect that lasts an hour."

Wow - that's so broken for a zeroth-level spell, the OP wouldn't have even needed the wand.

BenTheJester
2009-06-25, 11:21 PM

No, not a thing made sense.
And he didn't spell prestidigitation the same way twice. Don't ask me how, but he transformed prestidigitation into presignation.

oxinabox
2009-06-25, 11:22 PM
I'm just not good at communicating:

Sorry i was wring I spell does work for an hour. I need to add 20 charges back on the wand.

Prestidigitation
Universal
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 10 ft.
Target, Effect, or Area: See text
Duration: 1 hour
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No

Prestidigitations are minor tricks that novice spellcasters use for practice. Once cast, a prestidigitation spell enables you to perform simple magical effects for 1 hour. The effects are minor and have severe limitations. A prestidigitation can slowly lift 1 pound of material. It can color, clean, or soil items in a 1-foot cube each round. It can chill, warm, or flavor 1 pound of nonliving material. It cannot deal damage or affect the concentration of spellcasters. Prestidigitation can create small objects, but they look crude and artificial. The materials created by a prestidigitation spell are extremely fragile, and they cannot be used as tools, weapons, or spell components. Finally, a prestidigitation lacks the power to duplicate any other spell effects. Any actual change to an object (beyond just moving, cleaning, or soiling it) persists only 1 hour.

Glass Mouse
2009-06-26, 04:37 AM
I cast Prestidigitation. I make a coin appear in my hand, turn it bright green, make it taste like chocolate pudding, and then pop it in my mouth. A half hour later, I spit it out, turning it into sparkles that I make swoosh around and settle into a small puddle of mud, which I magically clean.

Or do I have to cast Prest. for each of those effects, and it's simply the duration of the effect lasts an hour?

I was just wondering... the effect lasts for a whole hour, but if you - during that half an hour before you spit out your coin - suddenly get ambushed by orcs, have a big fight, and then want to continue... do you need a concentration check to keep the effect running?

Emy
2009-06-26, 04:50 AM
I was just wondering... the effect lasts for a whole hour, but if you - during that half an hour before you spit out your coin - suddenly get ambushed by orcs, have a big fight, and then want to continue... do you need a concentration check to keep the effect running?

Why would you? Nothing about the spell requires concentration.

Vaynor
2009-06-26, 04:56 AM
I've always enjoyed the potentially deadly uses of this spell. For instance, transforming a small amount of matter into a similar substance? Harmless, right? Not when it's in your brain stem.

Yora
2009-06-26, 05:44 AM
I cast Prestidigitation. I make a coin appear in my hand, turn it bright green, make it taste like chocolate pudding, and then pop it in my mouth.
Oh no. I see a lot of mages with crazy addictions. ^^

Farlion
2009-06-26, 05:45 AM
I've always enjoyed the potentially deadly uses of this spell. For instance, transforming a small amount of matter into a similar substance? Harmless, right? Not when it's in your brain stem.

This doesn't work. You cannot duplicate a higher level spell. which this would actually do.

I interpret prestidigitation as a spell that can only influence fluff and not crunch. And that's how we decide on the uses of prestidigitation.

Cheers,
Farlion

Vaynor
2009-06-26, 05:51 AM
This doesn't work. You cannot duplicate a higher level spell. which this would actually do.

I interpret prestidigitation as a spell that can only influence fluff and not crunch. And that's how we decide on the uses of prestidigitation.

Cheers,
Farlion

There's a higher level spell that turns spinal chord into bone?

kamikasei
2009-06-26, 05:57 AM
I've always enjoyed the potentially deadly uses of this spell.

"It cannot deal damage".

(Also, I don't see anything about "transforming a small amount of matter into a similar substance" in the description.)

Vaynor
2009-06-26, 06:01 AM
"It cannot deal damage".

(Also, I don't see anything about "transforming a small amount of matter into a similar substance" in the description.)

I forget where I read the transforming thing - I found the idea in an article on alternate uses for Prestidigitation. I guess either my memory is wrong or the article was.

Fixer
2009-06-26, 06:47 AM
Back in 2nd edition prestidigitation could do minor damage. In 3rd edition they took the damage-causing parts of the spell out and made them their own 0 level spells and left the spell to be fluff-only.

Shpadoinkle
2009-06-27, 10:23 AM
I forget where I read the transforming thing - I found the idea in an article on alternate uses for Prestidigitation. I guess either my memory is wrong or the article was.

There's a part about it in Tome and Blood that specifically mentions being able to turn a coin into a ring or a scrap of cloth into a flower. Basically it says you can turn anything weighing less than a pound or so into anything else of the same approxiate size, as long as it's in the same kingdom (so you can't turn a strip of cloth into a metal ring because the cloth is a plant, not a metal). You can't make anything fine or detailed with it, though, so no turning coins into keys.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-06-27, 11:18 AM
Use it for cleaning up the blood that you don't want other people to see.

Thajocoth
2009-06-27, 03:09 PM
I'm bidding in an auction. My rival bids 50gp. I bid 100gp. 150. 200. 250. 300. 350,000?!?. Yep, everyone heard my rival bid 350,000gp. Though, he thought he only said 350gp. Not having that amount of gold, he was forced to give up allowing me to get the house for 300gp. It belonged to my grandpa and had a pocket dimension with a dungeon in it.

oxinabox
2009-06-29, 02:13 AM
I'm bidding in an auction. My rival bids 50gp. I bid 100gp. 150. 200. 250. 300. 350,000?!?. Yep, everyone heard my rival bid 350,000gp. Though, he thought he only said 350gp. Not having that amount of gold, he was forced to give up allowing me to get the house for 300gp. It belonged to my grandpa and had a pocket dimension with a dungeon in it.

That's ghost sund. you can't make noise with prestidigitation.
Because that would be duplicating another spell (ghost sound)

Quietus
2009-06-29, 02:22 AM

And unless I'm mistaken, Ghost Sound can't duplicate actual words, either. You need Ventriloquism (and some way to make your voice sound like theirs) for that.

Thajocoth
2009-06-29, 02:38 AM

I lumped the cantrips together mentally. But yeah, it was Ghost Sound. Oops.

And unless I'm mistaken, Ghost Sound can't duplicate actual words, either. You need Ventriloquism (and some way to make your voice sound like theirs) for that.

4E. They do not exclude speech and even use the phrase "your words" within the description, implying that you can, in fact, imitate speech. Further, the Gnoll feat "Butcher's Lure" specifically gives you Ghost Sound, and all the fluff around Butcher's Lure has the Gnoll sound like someone calling for help, usually someone their target knows.