PDA

View Full Version : Rikari: An alternate vampire.

Talanic
2006-02-17, 02:04 PM
I just do this as a hobby. I don't think I'm as good as Vorpal Tribble or a lot of the others here, so any feedback would be welcome. These, like a few other things I posted, aren't actually currently being used in my games, but appear in some stories I've written.

Rikari is an acquired template that can be inherited by any humanoid of monstrous humanoid creature, referred to hereafter as the base creature.

The base creature's type changes to augmented, but the size does not change.

Change all current and future hit dice to d12s.

Speed: Increase by 5 for small creatures; 10 for medium. The rikari gains no special modes of movement.

Armor Class: The base creature gains a +4 dodge bonus to armor.

The base creature retains its old attack bonus and gains no new attacks. If the base creature was not proficient with unarmed fighting, it is now considered to be proficient; this only negates the -4 penalty for untrained fighting and removes the attacks of opportunity normally provoked by fighting unarmed, but does not count as the prerequisite for any feats which require Improved Unarmed Strike.

Fell Weapon Bond: On a roll of natural twenty that is also a successful hit, the rikari drains two levels from the target. This ability can only go off once per round. The ability also triggers on a critical hit which kills the opponent before level drain is factored in, giving the rikari the effects of draining three levels.

The rikari gains a bite attack, along with Improved Grab. Attacking with the bite is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. On a successful hit on a living victim with the bite, the rikari may attempt to start a grapple; each round after a successful grapple begins, the rikari begins to drain life-force at a rate of one level per round. The victim also suffers from blood loss, losing 1d4 points of constitution per round for the duration of the grapple. A rikari can use the bite to coup de grace a helpless opponent; drain occurs twice as fast in this case.

Each level drained gives the rikari five points of temporary hit points and a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls, as well as spot, search, and listen checks, for one hour; these bonuses are cumulative.

Special Qualities:

Undead Affinity: Rikari, while not true undead themselves, have a definite bond with creatures of death. They receive a +4 bonus to diplomacy towards undead, and mindless undead have a 50% chance of being neutral towards them in cases when they would normally be hostile. Rikari do not create spawn, but someone who imbibes rikari blood at least twice begins to transform into one.

Fast Healing: Rikari heal at a rate of 10 points per round so long as they have not been decapitated, dismembered, or incinerated, or until they have taken up to five times their maximum hit points in damage.

Rikari have the following modifiers to attributes:
Str +8, Dex +6, Con + 6, Wis -2, Cha -2. Many rikari are insane.

Skills: Rikari have a +8 racial bonus to climb, swim, search, spot, and listen.

Rikari gain Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, and Lightning Reflexes, assuming the base creature meets the prerequisites and doesn’t already have these feats.

Appearance: Rikari appear to be pale versions of the base race. This does not mean albinoism, merely the appearance of having not seen the sun in a very long time, accompanied by hair color that is the same as the base race grows at old age (white or silver for humans, etc).

Weaknesses: Rikari exposed to sunlight must make a fortitude save for every round they are exposed. Their fast healing ability is suspended in sunlight in any case. The DC starts at fifteen, and increases by one per round of exposure. Failure results in death in one round. Rikari are considered blind in sunlight. Once removed from sunlight, the rikari's sunlight save DC slowly returns to 15 at a rate of one hour per point of DC. To an observor, when a rikari is exposed to sunlight, it visibly and rapidly grows tanned, with skin darkening and sun-burning. At a failed save, the sunburn turns to malignant melanoma, and the vast life-force inside the rikari's body turns against it, as it is killed by the obscenely overpowered cancer in a single round.

Edit: Forgot. Alignment: Almost always evil. If not evil, the character must have an incredibly good justification for feeding off the life force of others.

Rikari have an addiction to the life force of sentient creatures. If this addiction is not fed, they gradually lose this template, eventually returning to the base creature over the course of about a year. The process can be hastened by repeated castings of the remove disease spell, applications of negative energy, or simply beating the stuffing out of the rikari, which causes some of the excessive life force that powers the creature to be spent on healing. Wish and Miracle also apply.

CR/LA? No idea. What do you all think? Stuff I missed, or things that are lame?