PDA

View Full Version : "S. Rogers"...

jonathan_h
2009-06-25, 08:57 AM
Hysterical!

Killer Angel
2009-06-25, 09:33 AM
The purpose of this thread is mysterious to me...
Please, clarify.

...or expect a report to the Mods by some playgrounders. :smallamused:

NerfTW
2009-06-25, 09:42 AM
The sign in yesterday's strip for "S. Rogers". He's saying it's funny.

jonathan_h
2009-06-25, 09:50 AM
Yeah, sorry - I'm new to the forum, didn't see an existing thread for #664, and didn't feel qualified to start one myself. It was a spontaneous exclaimation of pleasure with one of those little easter eggs that give me so much joy from this series.

(For those who don't follow such things, Marvel Comics recently killed off, and is now ressurecting, Captain America - whose "real" name is Steve Rogers.)

[Edit: Moderators, forgive me if I overstepped, and I will not take removal of the thread personally. :) ]

Random832
2009-06-25, 10:10 AM
The thread for the current comic is stickied (that means it's at the top of the list).

jonathan_h
2009-06-25, 10:22 AM
Yes, I see that now. For some reason, when I was about to post the original note and ended up starting this thread, it showed the sticky for #663...

Once again, I apologize if I stepped on any toes. I'll try not to do it again.

The thread for the current comic is stickied (that means it's at the top of the list).

Roderick_BR
2009-06-25, 10:24 AM
Hah! I noticed that sign too :smallamused:

Killer Angel
2009-06-25, 11:26 AM
Yeah, sorry - I'm new to the forum, didn't see an existing thread for #664, and didn't feel qualified to start one myself.

Don't worry, you're perfectly qualified to start any thread you'd like.
Remember only that, every time there's a new comic, Rich himself open the specific thread.
Then, as a tree, threads flourish discussing the interesting points... :smallwink:

My only friendly advice is, before posting a new thread, to look if there's one similar existing, or if it's an argument discussed in the main thread.

Random832
2009-06-25, 11:37 AM
So i guess from the title this would be the thread discussing the captain america reference.

cue wild speculation that he exists in the OOTS universe (or maybe as a different superhero identity, since there's no 'america' per se)

Ethdred
2009-06-25, 01:00 PM
Thanks for starting this thread - I had no idea what the reference was too, and dreaded having to wade through the strip discussion thread to find out.

It was particulalry obscure for me as I work with a woman called S Rogers, and when I read the strip over my breakfast this morning (ie not at my most mentally acute) I was wondering how Rich knew her :)

Zevox
2009-06-25, 01:24 PM
(For those who don't follow such things, Marvel Comics recently killed off, and is now ressurecting, Captain America - whose "real" name is Steve Rogers.)
Ah, so that's what the reference was to. I'd never have guessed myself - not a fan of comics in general, nor of Captain America in any other form of media. Though I do hear that superhero comics have an even worse Revolving Door Afterlife than D&D, so it makes sense to include the reference I suppose.

Thanks for explaining it.

Zevox

Gilmiril
2009-06-25, 01:43 PM
The purpose of this thread is mysterious to me...
Please, clarify.

For shame!

...or expect a report to the Mods by some playgrounders. :smallamused:

Double shame!

Once again, I apologize if I stepped on any toes. I'll try not to do it again.

Don't worry about the over-reaction of kids in the playground.

I, for one, appreciate this separate thread and its title. Seeing the sign in #664, I knew there was some joke there, but not following Marvel Comics for a long time now, I didn't get it on my own. So I came to the forum and groaned at the number of pages in the stickied thread.

Then I smiled when I saw one titled simply S. Rogers. So thanks to you for starting this and to others for supplying my answer.

Killer Angel
2009-06-26, 01:40 AM
I, for one, appreciate this separate thread and its title. Seeing the sign in #664, I knew there was some joke there, but not following Marvel Comics for a long time now, I didn't get it on my own. So I came to the forum and groaned at the number of pages in the stickied thread.

Then I smiled when I saw one titled simply S. Rogers. So thanks to you for starting this and to others for supplying my answer.

The fact that in the main page there was a thread named "Who is S. Rogers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116060)?" didn't tell nothing to you?:smallannoyed:

I can understand it's annoying to scroll for 10 pages in the stickied thread, but at least check the titles of the existing threads.

I thought the OP was centred on another fact, not concerning the identity of S. Rogers, so I asked for more info than a simple "hysterical", and Jonathan has given a good answer...

Red XIV
2009-06-26, 02:57 AM
Also, Captain America was killed in April 2007, just like Roy.