PDA

View Full Version : Eugene's Would-Be Reaction to 4E Rituals.

MReav
2009-06-25, 09:47 AM
This isn't a "Will OotS convert to 4E thread".

I'm just thinking:

Eugene is a massive prick to his son, believing in the supremacy of Wizards over all else. I just wonder what his reaction would be if he found out that rituals in the new Edition can be learned by anyone, provided they meet a couple of easy pre-reqs (training in K. Arcana or K. Religion). So many advantageous spells now being disseminated amongst the other classes...

I think he'd bitch and whine about how Wizards have been diluted.

SadisticFishing
2009-06-25, 09:52 AM
I don't think it's that simple.

Being trained in Arcana is not a simple prereq - it requires years of studying the arcane arts.

Eugene would be okay with Roy doing that, methinks.

Arakune
2009-06-25, 09:56 AM
I don't think it's that simple.

Being trained in Arcana is not a simple prereq - it requires years of studying the arcane arts.

Eugene would be okay with Roy doing that, methinks.

Not so much, you just need to level up and pick the feat.

Flickerdart
2009-06-25, 10:04 AM
He'd be bugging Roy to take the Ritual Caster feat every level-up, for sure.

SoC175
2009-06-25, 10:09 AM
And for many rituals there's still a huge difference in effect depending on how well the caster makes his check.

A 30th level fighter with total of +20 arcana (including skill training) is still nothing compared to a real 30th level caster with +50 to arcana

Random832
2009-06-25, 10:12 AM
Not so much, you just need to level up and pick the feat.

Yeah, but if you do that it's assumed you've been studying it :elan:

SadisticFishing
2009-06-25, 10:16 AM
Mhmm. It's like if a fighter was forced to put half their skill points into arcana, in a system in which skills actually make sense.

I see it as sort of maxing Spellcraft and Arcana. Sure, skills don't have any effect on what your character can do - but that's stupid. Understanding Arcana SHOULD make you better at... Arcane stuff.

Anyways, that's two feats, not one.

Klivian
2009-06-25, 10:35 AM
Mhmm. It's like if a fighter was forced to put half their skill points into arcana, in a system in which skills actually make sense.

I see it as sort of maxing Spellcraft and Arcana. Sure, skills don't have any effect on what your character can do - but that's stupid. Understanding Arcana SHOULD make you better at... Arcane stuff.

Anyways, that's two feats, not one.

Which isn't too bad in 4E where each non-human character gets 18 feats by level 30 (humans get 19)

Dork Lord
2009-06-25, 10:46 AM
You mean Wizards -haven't- been diluted? :smallconfused:

SadisticFishing
2009-06-25, 10:55 AM
Irrelevant. The point is, it requires a character to understand Arcana, and take another feat to learn Rituals, so time spent there too.

You don't just "take ritual casting", in character :D

This complaint about 4e is INVALID. ;p

Kish
2009-06-25, 12:02 PM
You mean Wizards -haven't- been diluted? :smallconfused:
4ed Wizards: One part lemonade for every ten parts of pure water.