PDA

View Full Version : (3.5... ish?) Item Suggestion for an Archer

Pramxnim
2009-06-25, 10:29 AM
Hi there, good people of GiTP. I'm currently applying for an ECL 10 game with some interesting houserules. Somehow I've been approved to play an Archer (base class from Iron Heroes) if I make it past the application rounds. I have 150000gp to spend on equipment (yes, 150000gp).

Somehow I've landed myself the ability to deal 2d6 sneak attack at a range of 60ft (feats from Iron Heroes, yeah those were approved too). I'm looking for some item suggestions for this character, a dedicated range fighter who's looking to be a bit tricky (he's very short, if that helps :D)

To recap:

Allowed Books: Not specified, but assume a very broad range. I think for simplicities sake, the list should be kept to a maximum of 2-3 sourcebooks.

Class and Race: Human Archer 10. This is non-negotiable. I'm just looking for item advice, here. I would appreciate it if no questions turn up regarding this.

Thank you in advance, ladies and gentlemen.

Flickerdart
2009-06-25, 10:37 AM
You have enough money to buy Bane arrows for every single creature type you could think of. Do this.

Pramxnim
2009-06-25, 10:40 AM
Noted. Actually that'd fit the concept of a "hunter" quite well. Thanks for the quick suggestion

ColdSepp
2009-06-25, 10:45 AM
Splitting Enchantment. Champions of Ruin

Pramxnim
2009-06-25, 10:49 AM
Rawrs, I am well aware of the thread Afroakuma started concerning an archer's bow. I'm looking for some rather... different advice. i.e. all the other magic item slots. :p

Keld Denar
2009-06-25, 11:38 AM
Focus primarily on defensive items, since other than stat boosters, a weapon, and bracers of archery, there really isn't a lot of gear that can really up your damage. Defensively, a Cloak of Resistance +5 is great, since as a backrow character you'll most likely be targeted with spells than melee attacks. Other nice things are Freedom of Movement and Flight to keep you mobile. I almost never build a high level character without some form of short range teleportation as well. Bolt Shirt, Anklets of Translocation, Boots of Teleportation, Boots of Big Stepping, or Aporter Armor from the MIC and DMG are all high quality items. Ankets in particular are nice because while they are short range, they are also a swift action allowing you to back up and still full attack.

2009-06-25, 12:48 PM
I hope you aren't playing in the actual Iron Heroes setting or by the Iron Heroes magic item rules. Iron Heroes magic items have the tendency to do horrible things to you if you use them for any length of time. Think SoulCalibur. It's part of why the Archer class is so much more powerful than a Ranger, you're supposed to be able to cope with standard encounters without magic items.

Assuming you'll be able to enjoy any magic item that you buy, remember that your magic bow and magic arrows don't stack. As Flickerdart said, you can pick up arrows that will only be useful some of the time, and save generally useful enhancements for your bow. Bane is a good arrow option, as are the elemental damage enhancements, Brilliant Energy, Seeking for when you fire into cover, and anything that can only be used once per day (ie. Illusion Bane, or Shadowstriking for an Air-Bud way to catch someone flatfooted). Make sure to buy a Quiver of Elhonna/Efficient Quiver. For your bow, unless you're planning on relying on Greater Magic Weapon you could do worse than a simple +5, with Deadly Precision from the Magic Item Compendium for your sneak attacks.

Pramxnim
2009-06-25, 11:18 PM
Nope, I'm playing in a D&D universe with D&D rules, using an Iron Heroes char with almost no changes at all (I've decided to forgo the traits because they add a needless amount of complexity).

The Archer class has ways to ignore concealment AND to make the enemy flat-footed, so I don't need Illusion Bane or Shadowstriking. No Force bows needed either, since I can reduce an enemies DR. I want to use Bane Arrows, but I think I'm running a bit low on resources. As a recap, here's what I have so far:

17 Str
24 Dex (4 from gloves)
15 Con
16 Int
17 Wis
15 Cha

(I somehow got awesome rolls)

+1 Composite Shortbow (+3 Str) with: Aquatic (+2000gp, just in case), Deadly Precision, Energy Aura (I might cut this to severely cut down on the cost, but it's handy to have)
Weapon cost: 52600

+3 Mithral Chain Shirt with: Called (+2000gp, just in case), Nimbleness(to get the max Dexterity bonus)
Armour cost: 19250

Gloves of Dex +4: 16000gp
Cloak of Resistance +5: 25000gp
Anklet of Translocation: 1400gp
Torc of Displacement: 2000gp
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis: 10800gp (DM ruled that HiPS does not negate the need for cover or concealment, hence the torc of concealment)
Ring of Darkridden: 2000gp, foils darkvision
Crystal of Return, Least: 300gp. On bow, for free Quick Draw feat
Rogue's Vest: 18000gp, for +1d6 Sneak Attack and a few minor skill bumps
Efficient Quiver: 1800gp
2xMasterwork Dagger: 600gp

Quick calculations leave me having spent 149750gp (so close!). A few spare gold coins here and there is good and all, but I still need them arrows.

Should I get rid of Energy Aura on the Bow (and save 32000gp) and replace them by lots of Bane Arrows and perhaps something else? If so, how many Bane Arrows per type of creature do you recommend, and what other item should I get?

Many thanks to all those who have contributed their wisdom.