PDA

View Full Version : Why does Roy think Belkar will die?

Suchiimuhiiroo
2009-06-25, 02:17 PM
I recall reading about why Roy thought Belkar would die, but I can't remember why. I'd rather not spend the time sifting through the archives, so if someone could remind me that would be greatly appreciated.

hamishspence
2009-06-25, 02:18 PM
Prophesy of the oracle. Twice- once in full prophesy style. second version- on the record- "will draw last breath- ever before end of year"

Suchiimuhiiroo
2009-06-25, 02:20 PM
Thanks. Do you think anything in that prophecy excludes him being resurrected?

Kish
2009-06-25, 02:20 PM
The word "ever." The "on the record" prophecy was, "Belkar will draw his last breath--ever--before the end of the year." It doesn't rule out Belkar's transformation to some nonbreathing form, but it does rule out standard resurrection.

The Oracle's other comments include "should savor his next birthday cake," "shouldn't bother funding his IRA," and, most damningly, "isn't long for the world." Lots and lots of people look for ways around these predictions, but I haven't seen one that doesn't look like a big stretch to me.

OmegaDonut
2009-06-25, 02:21 PM
Thanks. Do you think anything in that prophecy excludes him being resurrected?

Like, "will draw his last breath?"

DemonSlayer
2009-06-25, 02:21 PM
It was predicted by the oracle. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html).

Edit: Ok, so some people type faster than I can skim through the archives :smalltongue:.

Optimystik
2009-06-25, 02:22 PM
First: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0329.html
Second: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html

Suchiimuhiiroo
2009-06-25, 02:22 PM
Thanks again.

Kaytara
2009-06-25, 02:31 PM
Lots and lots of people look for ways around these predictions, but I haven't seen one that doesn't look like a big stretch to me.

Oh, come on, it is obvious.

Belkar will become O-Chul. O-Chul doesn't need to breathe, the air comes to him. He isn't long for this world because his awesomeness is not of this world, anyway. He shouldn't bother funding his IRA because he intimidates his body cells into not aging. He should savour his next birthday cake because that cake will be particularly yummy.

Porthos
2009-06-25, 03:25 PM
Oh, come on, it is obvious.

Belkar will become O-Chul. O-Chul doesn't need to breathe, the air comes to him. He isn't long for this world because his awesomeness is not of this world, anyway. He shouldn't bother funding his IRA because he intimidates his body cells into not aging. He should savour his next birthday cake because that cake will be particularly yummy.

Win. :smallcool:

Jair Barik
2009-06-25, 03:32 PM
Is this going to turn into a debate about whos greater O-Chul or Chuck Norris?

Swordlol
2009-06-25, 03:37 PM
Rich never does anything predictable, I'm sure he won't be turned in to an undead/zombie.

Edit: Yes, I ignored the O-chulcknorris jokes.

Hydro
2009-06-25, 03:39 PM
That's a silly question Jair, considering that Chuck Norris is O-Chul's d20 Modern character.

Jair Barik
2009-06-25, 03:43 PM
*sigh*
I feel partially responsible for this but it was so inevitable.
Personally I thought the mark was going to off Belkar. Now he's had character development I can only assume he will die while heroically defending the gate or something

DarthCyberWolf
2009-06-25, 03:43 PM
Is this going to turn into a debate about whos greater O-Chul or Chuck Norris?

But there's no debate. It's O-chul because Chuck Norris is just one of O-chul's many PCs in D20 Reality.

From O-Chul Facts: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77064

EDIT: i gotz ninja! oh noez.

Ramidel
2009-06-25, 03:56 PM
Belkar will be given a spot on the IFCC.

polipone
2009-06-25, 05:46 PM
*sigh*
I feel partially responsible for this but it was so inevitable.
Personally I thought the mark was going to off Belkar. Now he's had character development I can only assume he will die while heroically defending the gate or something

Wait, what gate?

Shpadoinkle
2009-06-25, 08:29 PM
DO you people ACTUALLY READ the comic or what? Seriously, "What gate?" I don't know, maybe the gate they've been talking about for the last hundred pages or so?

Faramir
2009-06-25, 08:34 PM
DO you people ACTUALLY READ the comic or what? Seriously, "What gate?" I don't know, maybe the gate they've been talking about for the last hundred pages or so?

Huh. I never noticed that before. But anyway, back to this gate I hear so much about...

Random832
2009-06-25, 08:36 PM

I've never heard of any gate. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0096.html)

Hederoth
2009-06-25, 08:44 PM

sigh...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0106.html

one of MANY comics....

do YOU read the comic?

Kaytara
2009-06-25, 08:49 PM
I don't know... I'm not familiar with any gates.
And this is what is disturbing about the Internet. I mean, I honestly can't tell... I'd be willing to chalk it up to sarcasm, but apparently someone missed the fact that "What gate?" is a JOKE.

Orodruin
2009-06-25, 08:53 PM
*snicker* There is no gate

mikeejimbo
2009-06-25, 09:01 PM
Wait, what comic?

But yeah, I'm secretly a fan of Belkar becoming something that doesn't need to breathe, though probably not a god.

Maybe a table. That would be funny.

DarkLadyNyara
2009-06-25, 09:42 PM

Please, for he love of all things unholy, tell me that was a joke that just fell flat.

But yeah, I'm secretly a fan of Belkar becoming something that doesn't need to breathe, though probably not a god.

I can see a stunt like that fitting the oracles sense of humor. :) Belkar might not be too happy about it, though. Tables can't go on murderous rampages.

Beorn080
2009-06-25, 09:54 PM
I see Belkar becoming some sort of avatar of death, thus becoming an outsider that doesn't need to breathe.

Swordlol
2009-06-25, 10:00 PM
I see Belkar becoming some sort of avatar of death, thus becoming an outsider that doesn't need to breathe.

I see him becoming a statue and some humorous NPCs start to worship him or some variation there-of.

Edit: Woo! Run-on sentances.

hangedman1984
2009-06-25, 10:04 PM
"isn't long for the world." Lots and lots of people look for ways around these predictions, but I haven't seen one that doesn't look like a big stretch to me.

That one at least is easy, he isn't long for any world...cuz hes short, lol

...what? Quit looking at me like that.

Tenebrais
2009-06-25, 10:05 PM
I see Belkar becoming a corpse. If only because, by the looks of it, no one is expecting that.

Cracklord
2009-06-25, 10:07 PM
Really? So an Evil god, with all the souls that have ever died to choose from, picks an unoptomised halfling Ranger who is faking character development to mollify his friends.
Instead of, say, someone like Xykon, Bonafide true Evil with a capital 'E'.

Belkar is pretty low on the horrible deeds scale. Yes he's all round nasty, and yes he's done plenty of small scale stuff, but that's what he is: Small scale. If any evil god worth it's vintage spiky armour and horned helm so much as considered him, he'd be laughed out of the underworld.

And even if the IFCC decided he was worth their time, why would he join?

I still favour him falling into a bag of holding then a portable hole, getting totally erased from the universe.
Preferably in a comic titled ‘Now Shut Up’

kamoo
2009-06-25, 10:07 PM
Rich never does anything predictable, I'm sure he won't be turned in to an undead/zombie.

NO, O-chulcknorris jokes ignored you.

Boaromir
2009-06-25, 10:10 PM
I still favour him falling into a bag of holding then a portable hole, getting totally erased from the universe.

I hope there's a strip at the end also saying 'Oh yeah, V got that ultimate arcane power thing way back at 640-ish.'

Optimystik
2009-06-25, 10:14 PM
Really? So an Evil god, with all the souls that have ever died to choose from, picks an unoptomised halfling Ranger who is faking character development to mollify his friends.
Instead of, say, someone like Xykon, Bonafide true Evil with a capital 'E'.

Belkar is pretty low on the horrible deeds scale. Yes he's all round nasty, and yes he's done plenty of small scale stuff, but that's what he is: Small scale. If any evil god worth it's vintage spiky armour and horned helm so much as considered him, he'd be laughed out of the underworld.

And even if the IFCC decided he was worth their time, why would he join?

Thread over, thanks for playing.

Random832
2009-06-25, 10:16 PM
That one at least is easy, he isn't long for any world...cuz hes short, lol

...what? Quit looking at me like that.

:smallfurious:

I wanted to say it, but it was too easy

:smallyuk:

Kairamek
2009-06-26, 01:23 AM
I see Belkar becoming a corpse. If only because, by the looks of it, no one is expecting that.

I expect it. Sometimes a prophecy is straight foward. Made more so by the length of time you have to wait, the obvous loopholes left open, and being so big and game changing the audiance can't believe it could possible come to be. It especially helps if many predictions have been subverted or fulfilled in strange ways (ie, Belkar didn't cause the death of Miko, her horse, Roy, or the Oracle; he caused the death of all four in different ways from a certain point of view).

Squeeck
2009-06-26, 08:44 AM
I can see a stunt like that fitting the oracles sense of humor. :) Belkar might not be too happy about it, though. Tables can't go on murderous rampages.

You've never heard of a Wandering Monster Table? :smallbiggrin:

or one made out of Sapient Pearwood... :smallredface:

Ave
2009-06-26, 09:38 AM
GATE? WHAT GATE???

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0096.html

Whoosh.

Kaytara
2009-06-26, 09:40 AM
How about a mimic? Do mimics breathe? :D

Roderick_BR
2009-06-26, 12:37 PM
The word "ever." The "on the record" prophecy was, "Belkar will draw his last breath--ever--before the end of the year." It doesn't rule out Belkar's transformation to some nonbreathing form, but it does rule out standard resurrection.

The Oracle's other comments include "should savor his next birthday cake," "shouldn't bother funding his IRA," and, most damningly, "isn't long for the world." Lots and lots of people look for ways around these predictions, but I haven't seen one that doesn't look like a big stretch to me.

Or breathing again, AFTER the end of the year. Heck, the Oracle make business with casters to ressurrect him everytime he foressees his own death all the time.

Zeful
2009-06-26, 12:45 PM
Or breathing again, AFTER the end of the year. Heck, the Oracle make business with casters to ressurrect him everytime he foressees his own death all the time.

But he still dies. He's not subverting the prophecy of his death, just making sure he can come back every time.

chiasaur11
2009-06-27, 02:25 PM
*snicker* There is no gate

Then what am I eating soup with?

dps
2009-06-28, 07:44 PM

Calling that silliness "jokes" implys that they're funny, which they stopped being after about the 2nd time someone posted that stuff. :smallbiggrin:

Cracklord
2009-06-28, 08:02 PM
Contrived premises that take a huge amount of work to make sense and require the shunting of some quite obvious phrases are not obvious loopholes, their the musings of desperate people unable to see the beauty of an Order of the Stick comic without Belkar.
Abandon your dark path and follow into the light.

Calling that silliness "jokes" implys that they're funny, which they stopped being after about the 2nd time someone posted that stuff. :smallbiggrin:

You only live now because it pleases O-Chul not to smite you. Which is more then you deserve, heathen.

thalandus
2009-06-28, 08:20 PM
Breathe HIS last breath.

Belkar could change his gender (or have it changed by someone without consent) using a wish spell or a girdle of gender bending.

Cracklord
2009-06-28, 09:13 PM
Breathe HIS last breath.

Belkar could change his gender (or have it changed by someone without consent) using a wish spell or a girdle of gender bending.

Right. And then you've just got the IRA thing, the birthday cake thing, all the rest of the foreshadowing.
Though I'm sure you can think of something equally contrived for them too.

theinsulabot
2009-06-28, 09:16 PM
Right. And then you've just got the IRA thing, the birthday cake thing, all the rest of the foreshadowing.
Though I'm sure you can think of something equally contrived for them too.

plus, can you imagine belkar menstruating? the world would burn

Cracklord
2009-06-28, 09:22 PM
No, he'd make a few snarky comments but not actually go anywere.
Belkar is a small scale evil. It takes someone like Xykon to burn the world.

Adicted To
2011-06-21, 07:58 PM
What if he becomes a Lich?

"will draw last breath- ever before end of year" A lich doesn’t have lungs.
"should savor his next birthday cake," A lich can’t taste.
"shouldn't bother funding his IRA," A lich doesn’t age but becomes immortal.
"isn't long for the world." Plane shift?

The Pilgrim
2011-06-22, 10:22 AM
What if he becomes a Lich??

Xykon will inmediately kill him, because having one Evil Lich around is already one too many.

Gray Mage
2011-06-22, 10:35 AM
Xykon will inmediately kill him, because having one Evil Lich around is already one too many.

Not that Belkar can even become a lich, anyway.

hamishspence
2011-06-22, 10:42 AM
he could with enough advancement- but he'd need Craft Wondrous Item, a Wis high enough to cast spells, and a caster level of 11 or higher.

An epic ranger could have all these.

Gray Mage
2011-06-22, 10:45 AM
he could with enough advancement- but he'd need Craft Wondrous Item, a Wis high enough to cast spells, and a caster level of 11 or higher.

An epic ranger could have all these.

Which Belkar isn't, leading to my point that he can't.

Heksefatter
2011-06-22, 10:48 AM
Like, "will draw his last breath?"

For some reason a plot involving the belt of masculinity/femininity entered my mind here. I should be ashamed.

EDIT:

Breathe HIS last breath.

I take solace in the fact that I am not the only one to sink to this. Hail unto thee, thalandus! :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2011-06-22, 10:53 AM
Which Belkar isn't, leading to my point that he can't.

True- at the moment. And it does seem highly improbable that he will advance to epic in the time remaining. There are other undead templates though.

It doesn't seem likely to me that he will become undead though.

CaptainIreland
2011-06-22, 10:53 AM
Belkar isn't going to die. It will be used to show the Oracle is a liar.

Caractacus
2011-06-22, 12:21 PM
Belkar isn't going to die. It will be used to show the Oracle is a liar.

Ooh...you didn't just type that, did you? Yes...yes, you did! :smallwink:

Adicted To
2011-06-22, 08:44 PM
Not that Belkar can even become a lich, anyway.

Hell, I don't know any af the D&D rulles. I don't play that game. (however if you wan't to know anything about halo i'm your man ;))

But it was just an idea.

ref
2011-06-23, 08:57 AM
I just hope he disappears. And soon. Yeah, I went there.

Holy_Knight
2011-06-24, 12:15 AM

But Belkar's not smart enough to be a table.

Welknair
2011-06-24, 12:48 AM
Thought: A number of the loop-holes people have thought of revolve around Belkar becoming something that neither is "Of this world" or breathes. Such as an outsider. However, speaking generally requires exhalation, which in turn requires inhalation. As such, this should be taken into account for such theories. Unless the suggested being uses alternative means of speaking (See: Xykon) then they are not viable possibilities as I do not see Belkar willingly remaining mute. Forms that have no means of speaking, of course, are unaffected by this. So the table is still a go.

Gift Jeraff
2011-06-24, 02:20 AM
But it was just an idea.An idea posted in honour of this thread's two-year anniversary?:smallconfused:

DuskWings
2011-06-24, 10:42 PM
Belkar will die and get a good afterlife since his supposed change.
That way, when they try to revive him, he won't come back cause he doesn't want to.

Kish
2011-06-24, 10:46 PM
That way, when they try to revive him, he won't come back cause he doesn't want to.
Right. The one and only person to be fooled by Belkar's fake change will be the person in charge of judging a neutral or good afterlife. That makes sense...

FujinAkari
2011-06-24, 10:51 PM

Also, why would they possibly revive him? Roy's plan is to 'run out the clock' remember?

sims796
2011-06-25, 12:13 AM
Know what I find funny? The Oracle states that Belkar will draw his last breath at the end of the year. In comic year, not RL year.

At the rate this comic seems to be updating, it seems to be both.

FujinAkari
2011-06-25, 12:24 AM
Know what I find funny? The Oracle states that Belkar will draw his last breath at the end of the year. In comic year, not RL year.

At the rate this comic seems to be updating, it seems to be both.

Except, of course, that that comic came out over a year ago.

Also: Discussing the rate of new comics is considered an inappropriate topic and against the forum rules.

Heksefatter
2011-06-25, 04:11 AM
In view of all those loophole comments (including my own) I am thinking of the fact that while I like Belkar as a character, I hope that he will really, truly and permanently die with no technicalities saving him. While we may see something of him after that (his afterlife, flashbacks etc.) I also hope that it will, for the greater part, make him disappear from the comic afterwards.

That's not because I dislike Belkar as a character. I really just feel that it would be the best story if a death prophecy came true and the person it referred to died. I am confident that a good story can be made out of that premise.

averagejoe
2011-06-25, 03:12 PM
The Mod They Call Me: Thread necromancy.