PDA

View Full Version : The Psychic Reaver

jdrich
2006-02-14, 02:00 AM
The Psychic Reaver

Hit Die

d12.

Requirements

To qualify to become a psychic reaver, a character must fulfill the following criteria.

Base Attack Bonus

+5.

Skills

Intimidate 5 ranks.

Feats

Closed Mind, Psionic Hole

Special

Rage class ability.

Class Skills

The psychic reaver’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at Each Level

4 + Int modifier.

Class Features

All of the following are Class Features of the psychic reaver prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

Psychic reavers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Rage

At 4th level, and again at 8th level, the psychic reaver gains an additional use of the Rage class ability.

Greater Psionic Hole

At first level, the psychic reaver’s mind becomes increasingly used to combating psionic creatures. Each time he causes a foe to lose its psionic focus while raging, he may extend his rage by an additional round. At fifth level, he may extend his rage by an additional two rounds, and at tenth level, he may extend his rage by an additional three rounds each time he causes a foe to lose its psionic focus.

Force of Will

At second level, the psychic reaver gains Force of Will as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the normal prerequisites for the feat.

Indomitable Will

At fourth level, the psychic reaver gains a +4 bonus on Will saves to resist enchantment spells and against psionic powers. This bonus stacks with all other modifiers, including the morale bonus on Will saves he also receives during his rage.

Detect Psionics

At second level, the psychic reaver’s mind subconsciously begins feeding on the psychic energies around it. This effect manifests itself as an innate ability to detect psionic creatures within 30’ of the psychic reaver. The psychic reaver can use this ability at will, without concentration, but only during a rage. At sixth level, the range increases to 45’, and at tenth level, the range reaches 60’.

Psionic Gravity

At third level, the psychic reaver’s mind becomes incredibly violent towards psionic creatures. His Psionic Hole ability actives when struck in melee by a creature with psionic focus as well as when striking a creature with psionic focus.

At sixth level, the psychic reaver’s hatred of psionics is so powerful that all creatures with psionic focus within 15’ of the psychic reaver must make a Concentration check against the psychic reaver’s Intimidation check or lose their psionic focus. This ability only works while the psychic reaver is in a Rage.

At ninth level, the psychic reaver’s psionic gravity increases to a range of 30’, but continues to operate only while during a rage.

Psionic Anathema

At fifth level, the psychic reaver increases the additional power points a manifester must spend to target him with a power two twice his Wisdom bonus.

At tenth level, this number increases again to three times his Wisdom bonus.

[hr]

Another one. I think it's ******* ***********, but I wont say anything until it's picked through.

Zeful
2006-02-14, 02:05 AM
Cool concept a little one sided and overpowered, but cool none the less.

jdrich
2006-02-14, 12:39 PM
I felt that it was "grossly overpowered" when I created it, I just wasn't sure in which ways to nerf it.

I was thinking to tone down Greater Psionic hole to give 2 rounds per steal at 4th, and then leaving it at that.

I plan on taking out Force of Will and Indomitable Will.

I think I'm going to alter Psionic Anathema to simply add half of the Reaver's PrC level to the ability, so that it'll be a max five, buffing a Barb with a low Wis and limiting on with a high Wis to a bit more reasonable difficulty.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-02-14, 02:08 PM
I don't really find it very powerful at all. The Slayer is even more dangerous to psionic characters.

However, my issue with it is that its focus is on psionic feats that battle against psions, and cannot be taken by psionicists. Yet this fellow here is basically gaining psionic powers but can still take the feats.

Just doesn't settle quite right with me.

jdrich
2006-02-14, 03:51 PM
The only psionic 'power' that he gains is detect psionics, which I think makes sense. I could even make it a Su ability if you would prefer.

BigBull17
2006-02-16, 03:23 PM
Its strong but only vs. psyonic char. Not bad but good flavor.