PDA

View Full Version : New PrC: The Mimic!

Yuki Akuma
2006-02-15, 09:38 AM
Entry Requirements
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Perform: Mime 8 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks, Spot 4 ranks.
Feats: Able Learner, Skill Focus (Perform: Mime)

Class skills (4 + Int modifier per level): Concentration, Craft, Perform, Profession, Spellcraft, Spot and Use Magic Device
Hit die: d8

Table: The Mimic
Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special
1st +0 +0 +2 +2 Mimic extraordinary ability
2nd +1 +0 +3 +3 Mimic feat
3rd +2 +1 +3 +3
4th +3 +1 +4 +4 Mimic spell
5th +3 +1 +4 +4 Instant mimic 1/day
6th +4 +2 +5 +5 Mimic supernatural ability
7th +5 +2 +5 +5 Mimic proficiency
8th +6 +2 +6 +6 Mimic spell-like ability, instant mimic 2/day
9th +6 +3 +6 +6
10th +7 +3 +7 +7 Perfect mimicry, instant mimic 3/day

––—— Spells per Day ——–—
0 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
1st — — — — — — —
2nd — — — — — — —
3rd — — — — — — —
4th 4 2 0 — — — —
5th 4 3 1 0 — — —
6th 4 4 2 1 0 — —
7th 4 4 3 2 1 0 —
8th 4 4 4 3 2 1 0
8th 4 4 4 4 3 2 1
10th 4 4 5 4 4 3 2

Table: Mimic Spells Known
————— Spells Known —————
Level 0 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
1st — — — — — — —
2nd — — — — — — —
3rd — — — — — — —
4th 4 2* — — — — —
5th 4 3 2* — — — —
6th 5 3 3 2* — — —
7th 5 4 3 3 2* — —
8th 6 4 4 3 3 2* —
9th 6 5 4 4 3 3 2*
10th 6 5 5 4 4 3 3
* Provided the mimic has a high enough Charisma score to have a bonus spell of this level.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the mimic.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The mimic does not gain any proficiency with weapons or armour (but see mimic proficiency).
Mimic extraordinary ability (Ex): The miming skill of a mimic is legendary. At first level, a mimic can perform any extraordinary ability (except a feat) that he can see in use. The orginal user of this ability must be within thirty feet of the mimic at the time the ability was used. The mimic can only mimic an ability that was used after his last turn. The mimic cannot mimic an ability that uses appendages he does not have; a mimic could mimic a barbarian's rage, but he could not mimic an ankheg's acid spit. This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to the mimic's charisma modifier (minimum one).
Mimic feat (Ex): At second level, a mimic can mimic any feat he sees in use.This ability functions just like mimic extraordinary ability (see above), except the mimic can only imitate a general feat, and the mimic must meet all prerequisites in order to mimic it. This ability can be used once per day, but the mimic retains the feat until he uses this ability again.
Mimic spell (Ex): At fourth level, a mimic can even imitate spellcasting. A mimic does not start his career knowing any spells, and must therefore learn them. To learn a spell, a mimic must see it being cast, and must be within thirty feet of the caster. The spell must have a somatic component, and cannot have a casting time of more than one round. The mimic must make a spellcraft check (as if he were identifying the spell) to learn it.
A mimic can only know a certain number of spells (see Table: Mimic Spells Known). The mimic cannot exceed this limit. However, the mimic's known spells are not fixed; if he wishes to learn a new spell he can simply forget a spell of equal level in order to learn it.
Mimics cast spells spontaneously, and can cast either arcane or divine spells (the type of spell learned depends on the spellcaster the mimic originally learned the spell from; Cure Light Wounds is cast as a divine spell if learned from a cleric, but an arcane spell if learned from a bard). A mimic must have a charisma score of at least 10 + the spell level in order to cast it. The saving throw DC for an arcane spell cast by a mimic is equal to 10 + spell level + the mimic's Charisma modifier. For a divine spell the DC is equal to 10 + the spell's level + the mimic's Wisdom modifier. The mimic suffers arcane spell failure chances when wearing armour while attempting to cast an arcane spell, but not a divine one.
The mimic's caster level is equal to twice his class level.
Instant mimic (Ex): On attaining fifth level, a mimic can use any of his mimic abilities (mimic extraordrinay ability, mimic feat, mimic supernatural ability and mimic spell-like ability) as an immediate action once per day. At eighth level, the mimic can do this twice per day, and at tenth he can do it three times per day.
Mimic supernatural ability (Su): At sixth level, a mimic's miming skills become supernatural in nature, allowing him to imitate supernatural abilities. This ability functions like mimic extraordrinay ability, except it allows the mimic to imitate a supernatural ability instead of an extraordinary ability. The mimic can even imitate an ability for which he does not can the correct appendages, such as a dragon's breath weapon or a medusa's gaze attack. This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to the mimic's Charisma modifier (minimum once).
Mimic proficiency (Ex): At seventh level, a mimic's training in miming can allow him to imitate combat skills. This ability functions like mimic feat, except it allows the mimic to imitate proficiency with a single weapon, suit of armour or shield. It can be used once per day, but the proficiency lasts until the mimic uses the ability again.
Mimic spell-like ability (Su): At eighth level a mimic can imitate abilities that duplicate spells. This ability functions like mimic extraordinary ability, except it allows the mimic to imitate a spell-like ability. The mimic cannot imitate a spell-like ability that functions as a spell of a higher level than he can cast (so an eighth level mimic cannot duplicate a spell-like ability of a seventh level spell or higher, and can only imitate a sixth-level spell-like ability if he has a Charisma score high enough to gain a bonus sixth level spell slot). This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to the mimic's Charisma modifier (minimum once).
Perfect mimicry (Su): At tenth level, a mimic can imitate an extraordinary ability even if he does not have the correct appendages to do so. In addition, the mimic can mimic divine, monstrous and psionic feats with his mimic feat ability. He must still meet the prerequisites for any feat he mimics.

I just made this. Don't ask me why I made it... I based it very loosely off the Chameleon PrC. Very loosely.

So, what does everyone think? Balanced? Broken? Horribly unbelievably ohGodgetitawayfromme broken?

EvilDave
2006-02-15, 10:16 AM
The possibilities for min/maxing and are quite monstrous, contingent upon them encountering things with the right abilities.

RedMage
2006-02-15, 10:50 AM
I think it's cool kind of reminds me of the master transmogrifist

Arakune
2006-02-15, 12:00 PM
um... FFT? sweet ^^

but need more prerequisites, like one level in EVERY commom core class (like in FFT) to become fair.

Maryring
2006-02-15, 12:18 PM
And some more class skills like craft is a must.

Shlik
2006-02-15, 02:28 PM
Edit: Ignore what I said before!

The PrC appears to have great potential to do some crunchy stuff. However, I think that you could end up fighting against something like a goblin with warlock levels and get absolutely gubbed unless you are lvl 6 in the mimic prc.

It seems quite fun, but I am curious to see how it would fare against something that is effective for something other than its (ex), (sp) or (su) abilities. Or at least offensive ones.

Yuki Akuma
2006-02-16, 05:53 AM
...This class isn't based on Final Fantasy Tactics. I don't even LIKE Final Fantasy Tactics.

To give a PrC the requirement of taking every single base class wouldn't work. There are, at last count, over twenty base classes (and nineteen in the core system alone, including psionics).

Yes, this class isn't meant to be good at everything. Nothing's meant to be good at everything (except maybe a Chameleon with Monk and Bard levels..).

Okay, adding carft to the class skill list would be an idea. I'll add that...

(Oh, and to be any use agianst a warlock, you'd need eight levels in the Mimic PrC. Invocations are spell-like abilities, yup.)

Jothki
2006-02-16, 10:52 AM
(and nineteen in the core system alone, including psionics).

Well, there you go. Sounds fine to me.

Arakune
2006-02-16, 11:04 AM
dude, just the ones in the PhB, pifff, if you need every core class from every book... you must be very rich! (to do that in my country, yes)

i said that because in FFT the MIME class can mimic every single action in the game. Do a attack with 999 hp damage, the mime copy. Cast a summon magic, the mime copy.

it's almost identical.

Sacrath
2006-02-16, 01:53 PM
Hmm, seems to take up the same bit as the Ardent Dilettante's "See it again" ability. It allows you to duplicate a spell of which you are a target on your next round with the same range, caster level, damage, metamagic, ect as the one cast on you.