PDA

View Full Version : Melee touch attack question

evisiron
2009-06-25, 04:19 PM
I know this is likely "Durr - obvious!" level, but I am having trouble working out whether melee touch attacks use strength to hit.

In the books it says about making an attack roll (melee or ranged) and that using a melee weapon uses strength.
Still, the idea of strength helping you to touch someone, even on the likes of a shield, doesn't seem right. I believe ranged touches use Dex, and was wondering if all touch attacks for spells and the like used Dex.

If needs must, I can grab Weapon Finesse - Touch attacks, but wanted to check before I potentially waste a feat.

So: Does Dex or Strength affect your to hit roll when making melee and ranged touch attacks?

Yora
2009-06-25, 04:25 PM
Ranged touch attacks are ranged attacks and use Dexterity.
Melee touch attacks are melee attacks and use Strength.

It doesn't make any sense if you say that its enough to brush the rim of the targets shield with your pinky finger, but I imagine melee touch attacks to be realy pressing the palm of your hand against a part of his body. As he will try to block your arm aside, being stronger really would help with it.

Curmudgeon
2009-06-25, 08:10 PM
You've got to touch their body. That generally means knocking aside shields, weapons, and anything else in the way.

Now, you can do it the deft way instead; that just requires the Weapon Finesse feat.

holywhippet
2009-06-25, 10:06 PM
You've got to touch their body. That generally means knocking aside shields, weapons, and anything else in the way.

Nope. Touch attacks ignore armor bonus, shield bonus and natural armor bonus. Arguably you use your strength bonus to swing your melee weapon faster in order to get a hit in. So when going for a regular touch attack you are using your strength to propel your body faster.

Consider monks with their unarmed attack - they use strength over dexterity unless they are using weapon finesse.

Andras
2009-06-25, 10:21 PM
I think the idea is that you have to have the muscle tone to strike quickly and precisely enough to hit someone expecting the attack.