PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Swordmage MC Wizard

Yakk
2009-06-25, 05:47 PM
There is only one other class that has the same prime attribute as the swordmage, and that is the wizard.

Has anyone else done a Swordmage MC into Wizard?

A few thoughts:
Eladrin can get the feat that lets them use their longsword as a Wizard implement. Possibly this is a redundant feat -- couldn't you just use the standard 'use an implement from another arcane class' feat?

Gnomes can take ranged burst/blast powers from the Wizard and use them in melee combat.

Thunderweave looks good for a swordmage, but it requires high Wisdom.

NPCMook
2009-06-25, 05:54 PM
Artificer also uses Int. So no longer must the Swordmage suffer

Sir Homeslice
2009-06-25, 05:56 PM
A few thoughts:
Eladrin can get the feat that lets them use their longsword as a Wizard implement. Possibly this is a redundant feat -- couldn't you just use the standard 'use an implement from another arcane class' feat?

No, since you need to not have that proficiency available in order to take the proper AIP feat. A Swordmage|Wizard though, could use their wizard spells through a Swordmage Implement.

Mando Knight
2009-06-25, 07:57 PM
A few thoughts:

It's not quite redundant: the Eladrin feat makes the Longsword count as a Wand for Wizard powers, which is slightly more useful in that it allows for Implement Mastery. Arcane Implement Proficiency doesn't do that. And then you can take Wizard of the Spiral Tower and Second Implement Mastery and have a single Longsword count as both an orb (or a staff) and a wand, meaning you can save on implements and get use out of Second Implement Mastery...

Grynning
2009-06-25, 10:44 PM
It's not quite redundant: the Eladrin feat makes the Longsword count as a Wand for Wizard powers, which is slightly more useful in that it allows for Implement Mastery. Arcane Implement Proficiency doesn't do that. And then you can take Wizard of the Spiral Tower and Second Implement Mastery and have a single Longsword count as both an orb (or a staff) and a wand, meaning you can save on implements and get use out of Second Implement Mastery...

Wouldn't this only work if you started out as a Wizard? If you start as a Swordmage the only way to get the Implement Mastery is to Paragon MC, which nixes Wizard of the Spiral Tower.

Back to a SM mc'ed to Wizard - the Wandering Swordmage PP is quite good and also requires Wisdom. A Deva Aegis of Shielding Swordmage/Wandering Swordmage could MC to Wizard and pick up some Int/wisdom wizard powers to supplement their repertoire.

Gralamin
2009-06-25, 10:55 PM
There is only one other class that has the same prime attribute as the swordmage, and that is the wizard.

Has anyone else done a Swordmage MC into Wizard?

A few thoughts:

Gnomes can take ranged burst/blast powers from the Wizard and use them in melee combat.

Thunderweave looks good for a swordmage, but it requires high Wisdom.

Much prefer a Swordmage Multiclassed into Artificer. Use the Int/Con synergy, pick up some Artificer Dailies for some enhancements to your combat ability.

Mando Knight
2009-06-25, 11:00 PM
Wouldn't this only work if you started out as a Wizard? If you start as a Swordmage the only way to get the Implement Mastery is to Paragon MC, which nixes Wizard of the Spiral Tower.

Ah, yes. In that case, it is redundant. I was thinking in general when I wrote it. :smallredface:

Yakk
2009-06-26, 10:53 AM
I'd forgotten about artificer. :)

I tossed together this level 1 character:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Jhasi Kael Ther thys Kyl`Laili, level 1
Eladrin, Swordmage
Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Shielding

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 19 Fort: 12 Reflex: 14 Will: 14
HP: 29 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Arcana +13, Insight +6, Endurance +7, History +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, Intimidate -1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +4, Stealth +2, Streetwise -1, Thievery +2, Athletics +1

FEATS
Level 1: Eladrin Soldier

POWERS
Swordmage at-will 1: Sword Burst
Swordmage at-will 1: Luring Strike
Swordmage daily 1: Dance of the Sword
Swordmage encounter 1: Foesnare

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Longsword, Adventurer's Kit, Tent, Fine Clothing, Dagger (2)
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

He's pretty eclectic. The str/dex is there to grab some heavy blade feats (the pair of opportunity feats) and the improved warding feat (that needs str and con). Being able to do Luring Strike as an OA is just too cool to give up on (oh you provoked by moving into square X? Let me interrupt that by shifting into square X, and wasting your square of move. Or shifting away from X, then pulling you into the square away from X, also wasting your square of move...[1])

Another path might be to MC wizard and up wisdom for a 2 square push thunderweave as an encounter power. This gets feat-expensive, because I need MC wizard and Eladrin Sword Wizardry for it to be effective past low levels, plus the +1 wisdom to make the push significant.

Yet another path would be to pick up intelligent blademaster and the eladrin teleport+attack. A per encounter teleport+basic attack as a move action is as good as an extra per-encounter attack power. And I want intelligent blademaster in order to up my ability to threaten targets.

I'm in a melee heavy party (barbarian + ranger) -- so I figure I'd toss an aegis on the target I'm not fighting, then try to interpose myself with the targets I am tieing up.
[1] Well, maybe not -- if an opportunity action makes the triggering action illegal during the interrupt, doesn't the triggering action get wasted? For movement, I'd assume only the 'mini action' of moving the square...

Burley
2009-06-26, 11:02 AM
He's pretty eclectic. The str/dex is there to grab some heavy blade feats (the pair of opportunity feats) and the improved warding feat (that needs str and con). Being able to do Luring Strike as an OA is just too cool to give up on (oh you provoked by moving into square X? Let me interrupt that by shifting into square X, and wasting your square of move. Or shifting away from X, then pulling you into the square away from X, also wasting your square of move...[1])

It is a cool move, however, it is very easily made useless. Always keep the Special line in mind. It says that if you aren't able to move the enemy into an adjacent square, you don't move it at all and the enemy takes no damage. Dwarves are immune the the attack, because they would always reduce the movement to one away from you. I think there is an armor that does the same thing, for pretty cheap.

Tengu_temp
2009-06-26, 11:20 AM
How often do you fight dwarves in 4e, though? And most non-boss enemies don't use magic items, especially not ones with special properties. Not to mention that it's questionable if dwarven racial ability affects Lightning Lure - this power does not specify the amount of squares it pulls the target, it pulls it right next to you.

Yakk
2009-06-26, 12:23 PM
It is a cool move, however, it is very easily made useless. Always keep the Special line in mind. It says that if you aren't able to move the enemy into an adjacent square, you don't move it at all and the enemy takes no damage. Dwarves are immune the the attack, because they would always reduce the movement to one away from you. I think there is an armor that does the same thing, for pretty cheap.
Not lighting lure -- luring strike. From arcane power. Or did I pick the wrong name?

Int vs AC.
Hit: [W] + Shift 1, and slide target into space you just left.
Special: Shift 1before or after the attack

So this means that when someone provokes an OA, I can shift 1, then make the at-will power attack, and if it hits shift again and slide the target into that spot.

So the thought is as follows:

..#...
!A*...
.X....

Jhasi is at X, the opponent is at A.

If the opponent decides to disengage and move to *, I Luring Strike, shift into the square A wanted to move into, then hit. And decline to shift/slide.

Now A's movement into * is no longer legal. Which I believe wastes the movement point.

Alternatively (and this works even if A moves to #), I can shift to !, luring strike, on a hit shift back again pulling A away. Once again, the movement to * or # is illegal, they lose that movement point, and now have to move twice to get back there.

Basically, it is an attempt to turn OAs into a modicum of battlefield control. This would fit with the idea that I aegis a target I don't engage, let the other characters deal with it taking less damage per hit and taking a -2 penalty to attacks, and try to tie up the other creatures using pushes, pulls, OAs and other kinds of zone control.