PDA

View Full Version : Mystery of Durkon's Hammer (Spoilers)

SouthpawHare
2009-06-25, 07:57 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums, but I've really been lurking forever. I'm naturallly a huge fan who's collected basically every piece of OotS material on the planet. Today, I've decided to post a topic that I've been considering for some time, which I don't think has been addressed in the past.

It has occurred to me, after browsing through the story since the very beginning for the PCs in OtooPCs that Durkon has been using the same hammer since his very first appearance, perhaps since he was a mere level 1. This can be backed up with many facts. When he was exiled in OtooPCs, his fellow Dwarves tossed his armor and hammer out to him as the only possessions he takes with him from his Dwarven Homeland. In Comic 237 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0237.html). Durkon expresses that the hammer is an heirloom, solidifying the fact that it is the same hammer. The Dungeon of Dorukan board game, while not really involved in the canon, nonetheless calls the hammer "Thor's Hammer", giving it a proper name and suggesting that it is a unique item.

Likewise, the other five characters have either specifically traded or upgraded their original weapons. Roy has his original Greenhilt Sword which has been upgraded to +5 status with "side-effects" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html). Haley has a new +5 Icy Burst (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0615.html) composite longbow stolen from the late Formerly Blind Pete. Elan has received a new rapier (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html), twice. Belkar's weapons are non-distinct and could arguably have been replaced. This is supported by the fact that there is a loot card in Dungeon of Dorukan known as "Magic Daggers" which improve his damage output, suggesting that he could have found improved daggers anywhere and replaced them at any time without anyone noticing. Vaarsuvius does not generally use a weapon, although Dungeon of Dorukan also suggests that he owns The Seldom-Used Quarterstaff. Instead, Vaarsuvius's magical potential has naturally increased overtime.

This strikes me as odd, and I felt it was worth pointing out. It is only natural for D&D Adventurers to improve their gear as they improve in level and go about their campaign. In D&D, moreso than other systems, it is actually somewhat necessary. Durkon, however, has apparently never stopped using the same hammer since he was first introduced. To me, this suggests one of two things:

1) It is most certainly obsolete now, and has poor combat potential relative to the current challenges
2) There is something more to the hammer that we don't yet know about

Given the style of the mighty Giant, I wouldn't put it past him to have thought of this and put more detail into this particular item. After all, he is the one who specifically had Durkon state that it was an heirloom in the above comic, not to mention he has been drawing the thing for years now. I have a good feeling he's considered this before, and that details about it may come up in the future.

Thoughts, anyone?

Xapi
2009-06-25, 08:00 PM
Durkon has no character development.

Therefore, his hammer will always be the same.

It may or may not be a +5 Hammer of thundering wonder, but what it is now is what it was at the beginning and it will be at the end of the strip.

One Step Two
2009-06-25, 09:27 PM
Why his hammer? Remember, his name is Durkon Thundershield, the hammer might be old, but the shield holds his true power! That said, for the hammer itself, I have pulled out my copy of weapon of legacy, and made a quick Ancestral weapon for our faithful cleric. It's not perfect as I can't remember the WBL to an exact point, and havent properly aligned some of the bonuses a the appropriate level.

Creators notes: The weapon is about half the normal power that an actual legacy weapon would, given that Durkon is intimate with the knowledge of his clan and forebarers. He does not need to complete any legacy rituals, but Durkon will need to sacrafice some funds (2/3rds of the normal cost per legacy level requirement) in the form of maintainence and blessings upon the hammer in order to continue using the weapons powers. (Use table 4-7 in WoL for lost BAB, HP and spells slot)

Thundershield Ancestral Dwarven Warhammer

5th level: +1 Weapon

6th: +1 Shock Weapon

7th: +2 Shock Weapon

9th: +2 Shocking Burst Weapon

11th: +3 Shocking Burst Weapon

13th: +4 Shocking Burst Weapon

15th: +5 Shocking Burst Weapon

17th: +5 Thundering Shocking Burst Weapon

19th: Chain Lightning 1/day

Optimystik
2009-06-25, 10:18 PM
Durkon could be fighting with a twig and it wouldn't matter. He's the only member of the Order that's close to being optimized. Air and Strength/War domains, SF: Evocation, and 18+ Wis/Con. Who cares what his weapon can do?

triple zero
2009-06-25, 11:29 PM
The mystery for my is how the hammer managed to cut that giant squid tentacle back in #479 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0479.html). It may have some yet-untapped power!

That, or I wasn't on the forums back when that strip went up and missed a perfectly reasonable explanation for it. So, since this is marginally related to the topic, does anyone know why that happened?

FoE
2009-06-26, 12:04 AM
The mystery for me is how the hammer managed to cut that giant squid tentacle back in #479 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0479.html). It may have some yet-untapped power!

That, or I wasn't on the forums back when that strip went up and missed a perfectly reasonable explanation for it. So, since this is marginally related to the topic, does anyone know why that happened?

I think that's just another rules joke. You can sever a fiendish giant squid's tentacles even if you're using a crushing weapon, apparently.

Demonicbunny
2009-06-26, 12:06 AM
While the hammer isn't his holy symbol he IS a cleric of Thor and it's a heirloom (potentially from a long line of clerics of Thor).

It's either

1. Just a regular hammer. Not that a cleric needs a big magical weapon since they're only melee fighters second and primarily spellcasters.
And if they do go into melee there is Greater magic weapon, Disrupting weapon and the Cleric line of buff spells (plus Thor's Might).

2. When I DMd back in the 90s Hereditary weapons usually had homegrown enchantments depending on the users level. I never liked the "This weapon has been in the family for generations and been used by many heroes there is no way I'm going to...ooooh, there is a +2 flaming. Goodbye hereditary trash" effect.
Could be the same.

Almaseti
2009-06-26, 12:09 AM
It's not like he couldn't have just squished the tentacle with his hammer and not all of the goop was drawn.

Anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if it was some kind of ancestral weapon.

Jagos
2009-06-26, 12:14 AM
I think it's more a dwarf thing. Most dwarves tend to have powerful family heirlooms and they MAKE the saying:

If it ain't broke dunnae fix it!

oball
2009-06-26, 12:22 AM
It could be like the dwarven mining axe that the Low King has in the Discworld novels - it's been passed along for generations, and sometimes the head has needed replacing, and sometimes the haft has needed replacing, but it's still the same axe.

Dalenthas
2009-06-26, 03:43 AM
Maybe he has the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat and just re-enchants it every few levels when its obsolete?

Tempest Fennac
2009-06-26, 03:52 AM
I don't remember seing any evidence that Durkon has SF (Evocation), Optimystik. Please could you tell me where you read that he had that feat? (I'm curious due to not seeing it as something that Durkon is likely to have.)

awibs
2009-06-26, 04:22 AM
It could be like the dwarven mining axe that the Low King has in the Discworld novels - it's been passed along for generations, and sometimes the head has needed replacing, and sometimes the haft has needed replacing, but it's still the same axe.

Theseus' ship theory. I could see the Giant making a very character driven comedic bit about that, with Roy or V getting very frustrated about how it is clearly, logically, NOT the same hammer, and the other explaining that well, technically it is, see: Theseus' ship, and Durkon being all righteously indignant about their disrespect for well-known and established Dwarven traditions. It would probably happen right as he was replacing the head or the haft after it broke during a skirmish, and somehow inexplicably, the hammer retained all it's magical properties and enchantments as if it's the exact same weapon even through all the replacements.

SoC175
2009-06-26, 10:12 AM
Maybe he has the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat and just re-enchants it every few levels when its obsolete?

Most likely this. He just needs the feat (which would makse sense for a dwarven cleric) and then only pay the cost difference between the current status and the upgraded status

PS: Why not upgrade anyone elses weapons too? Upgrading your own weapon is one thing, upgrading for the whole party would eventually throw him too far behind in XP

Optimystik
2009-06-26, 10:15 AM
I don't remember seing any evidence that Durkon has SF (Evocation), Optimystik. Please could you tell me where you read that he had that feat? (I'm curious due to not seeing it as something that Durkon is likely to have.)

Oh there's no overt proof of it, I just assumed he took it since he's constantly using lightning to very good effect.

SPoD
2009-06-26, 10:32 AM
Or he just cast Greater Magic Weapon every day, lasting for 13-14 hours, eliminating the need to throw away an ancestral heirloom. I've had cleric players who actually do this, you know.