PDA

View Full Version : Clone: The thread version (topic: Spellcasting failure chance)

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-25, 08:52 PM
Well, I was going to post this here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99697), but I looked, and saw it would be thread necromancy.
Well.
System:
Rules
When you cast a spell, make a special check with a DC of 10+(4*the spell level). If this fails, roll again, doubling the DC. If this check succeeds, nothing happens except losing the action and spell slot. If it fails, roll on the Spell Failure table. The bonus on the special check is equal to the caster's caster level+his/her primary spellcasting ability bonus.
Tables:

DCs
{table=head]Spell level|DC|DC for failure
0|10|20
1|14|28
2|18|36
3|22|44
4|26|52
5|30|60
6|34|68
7|38|76
8|42|84
9|46|92[/table]

Spell Failure Table
{table=head]%|Effect
1-15|No effect; spell slot/components wasted.
16-30|No effect; spell slot/components not wasted.
31-40|Roll on wild magic table.*
41-50|Roll on Rod of Wonder table.**
51-55|Caster takes 1d8 points of damage per spell level (1d4 for 0-level spells).
56-60|Caster is healed 1d8 points of damage per spell level (1d4 for 0-level spells).
61-63|Caster takes 1d3 points of damage to his primary spellcasting ability score.***
64-65|Caster gains a +2 bonus to his primary spellcasting ability for 1 hour.***
66-80|Random monster summoned from the Summon Monster spell list of the appropriate spell level. If this is rolled for a 0-level spell, roll again.
81-90|Spell has opposite effect. For example, a fireball might heal or deal cold damage.
91-94|Spell has random but useless effect similar to the spell's original effect. For example, a feather fall might cover the caster with feathers.
95-97|Spell has double effect. If this cannot apply to the spell, roll again.
98-99|Roll twice again.
100|Powerful magic is unlocked. Roll on the Powerful Magic table. If the caster suceeds on a Spellcraft check (DC 25+spell level+DC modifier), the caster can remember how to cast the spell that way for 24 hours unless written down. If remembered, add the DC modifier to the DC to cast when using the Powerful Magic result. A remembered result [/table]
*See Planar Traits in the DMG.
**See the item description in the DMG.
***Primary spellcasting ability is defined as the ability that modifies the spells for the class the spellcaster is casting the spell with. If there is more than one possibility, determine randomly.

Powerful Magic Table
{table=heading]%|Result|DC modifier
1-50|The spell is succesfully cast despite failing the Spellcraft check. Cannot be repeated.|n/a
51-75|The spell has, instead of the usual effect, a useful effect related to the spell. For example, a Cone of Cold spell might grant the caster reaistance or immunity to cold. |+1-+5, depending on the power of the effect.
76-90|As above, but the effect is in addition to the normal effect.|+3-+7
91-99|A random metamagic feat is applied to the spell.|+1.5/+1 spell level of the metamagic feat (round down)
100|DM's dicretion, but very powerful.|+10 or more (usually)[/table]

Comments?

kopout
2009-06-25, 09:36 PM
is this supposed to be a better system for spell failure chance?

Frog Dragon
2009-06-26, 11:58 AM
This would end up being a bog down on IRL games, due to the fact that you have a table, which references other tables and effects.
While it is certainly more varied and interesting than mine it is also less convinient for gameplay. For instance a skill check is not the way to go as was established in my thread since skill modifiers are so easy to buff. Caster level is not as easily buffable. This also requires constant looking at the system every time someone casts a spell while my system is easily memorized in it's entirety and you don't have to reference a thing.

Roderick_BR
2009-06-26, 01:22 PM
While it's interesting, it is too long, requires lots of rolls, and there's the chance of a failed spell benefit the caster.
Just make the first failed roll make the spell fail, and the second failed roll make the slow be wasted.
And a base of 15 + (spell level x 2) is a bit rough on lower levels (17 DC to cast a 1st level spell?). If you want the higher level spells to be hard to cast, make it something like 10 + (spell level x4). A first level wizard with maxed ranks in Spellcraft (with, say, a +2 modifier to int), needs only a 8 to cast a 1st level spell (DC 14), and a 20th level spell (let's say, full ranks(23), int 20 (+5), and Skill Focus(+3)) with a +32 modifier needs to roll a 14 to pass the DC 46.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-06-27, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the input! As for "It could have a positive effect" arguments, there is only a 10% chance (plus the wild magic and Rod of Wonder results) of having a positive effect. There is only a 1-in-10,000 chance of a very powerful effect. By that point, the caster will have taken 500d6 points of damage and 300d3 points of damage to his/ser primary spellcasting ability.
Yeah, it slows down play, but some might say making spelllcasters edgey might help game balence ("Will this spell roast my enemies or hurt ME?).
When I create a simpler method for limiting spellcasters, I'll post a link for it here.

Edit: Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6381000#post6381000) the link.