PDA

View Full Version : My rogue build. The Dashing Duelist!

Jergmo
2009-06-26, 12:28 AM
Alright, before I begin, the title is a bit misleading. This build doesn't actually use levels in Duelist. (A few would help, but it would detract heavily from rogue levels, and you'll want more sneak attack and skill points.) This build involves the Dashing Swordsman PrC listed here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1706489&postcount=1) Thanks, The Demented One!

Okay! First level: rogue. The way I'm setting it up is assuming that you're not using a human, as the character that I made this for isn't. At first level, take Combat Expertise. (It can't be used yet, I know, but trust me.)
Second level: Swashbuckler. (<3 free Weapon Finesse.)
Third level: Rogue. Feat taken: Dodge or Lightning Reflexes, for Dashing Swordsman prereqs.
Fourth level: Rogue.
Fifth level: Swashbuckler.
Sixth level: Swashbuckler. Intellect bonus added on to weapon damage! Feat taken: Dodge or Lightning Reflexes, for Dashing Swordsman prereqs.
Seventh level: Dashing Swordsman. You've got Combat Expertise, so I take Improved Disarm. If your enemy has no weapon, you get to sneak attack the crap out of them and they can't do much to hurt you. Always good times. Plus you get your charisma bonus as damage rather than strength.
Eighth level: Dashing Swordsman. A quip is alright.
Ninth level: Dashing Swordsman. You can now feint as a swift action. Feat taken: Two-weapon fighting. (Or whatever you like.)
Beyond that, put the rest in rogue.

The example character is level 10, with 22 Dex (Elf, 18+2 for Elf+2 for Gloves of Dexterity), with an enchanted outfit for armor rather than actual armor, because soon everything but quilted will be out of the max Dex bonus range. With bonuses from magic items, fighting defensively, Dodge, and max Combat Expertise, it equals up to...32 AC, with 27 touch AC. 22 Cha (18+2 levels+2 Cloak of Charisma). Good chance to disarm and feint opponents (whoo feint as swift action!), and has 15 int. This is using a +1 Keen side-sword (same damage and crit range as rapier, but also does slashing damage.) and a +2 Defending dagger. So, if the opponent is disarmed, on an average attack they're dealing...1d6+1+6+2+2d6 + 1d4+2+6+2+2d6, average damage of 38. Also, the character doesn't have a ring of protection and they have an Amulet of Health to help with going toe to toe rather than Amulet of Natural Armor, so that AC could be even higher.

Everyone's thoughts?

Draz74
2009-06-26, 01:20 AM
First and foremost, this should be on the Gaming forum, not the Homebrew forum.

Second, all duelist-like or swashbuckler-like builds are pretty darn weak unless they get a LOT of bonus damage somewhere. I didn't read the details of the homebrew PrC you're using, but I'm guessing it isn't powerful enough to make up for the fact that you're taking two terrible prerequisite feats (Lightning Reflexes and Dodge).