PDA

View Full Version : My rogue build: The Dashing Duelist!

Jergmo
2009-06-26, 08:16 AM
Alright, before I begin, the title is a bit misleading. This build doesn't actually use levels in Duelist. (A few would help, but it would detract heavily from rogue levels, and you'll want more sneak attack and skill points.) This build involves the Dashing Swordsman PrC listed here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1706489&postcount=1). Thanks, The Demented One!

Okay! First level: rogue. The way I'm setting it up is assuming that you're not using a human, as the character that I made this for isn't. At first level, take Combat Expertise. (It can't be used yet, I know, but trust me.)
Second level: Swashbuckler. (<3 free Weapon Finesse.)
Third level: Rogue. Feat taken: Dodge or Lightning Reflexes, for Dashing Swordsman prereqs.
Fourth level: Rogue.
Fifth level: Swashbuckler.
Sixth level: Swashbuckler. Intellect bonus added on to weapon damage! Feat taken: Dodge or Lightning Reflexes, for Dashing Swordsman prereqs.
Seventh level: Dashing Swordsman. You've got Combat Expertise, so I take Improved Disarm. If your enemy has no weapon, you get to sneak attack the crap out of them and they can't do much to hurt you. Always good times. Plus you get your charisma bonus as damage rather than strength.
Eighth level: Dashing Swordsman. A quip is alright.
Ninth level: Dashing Swordsman. You can now feint as a swift action. Feat taken: Two-weapon fighting. (Or whatever you like.)
Beyond that, put the rest in rogue.

At level 12 (or if you're human), take the Daring Outlaw feat from Complete Scoundrel. For the level 10 human, this will provide +2d6 sneak attack and +1 Dodge. For the level 12, +3d6 sneak attack and +1 dodge.

The example character is level 10, with 22 Dex (Elf, 18+2 for Elf+2 for Gloves of Dexterity), with an enchanted outfit for armor rather than actual armor, because soon everything but quilted will be out of the max Dex bonus range. With bonuses from magic items, fighting defensively, Dodge, and max Combat Expertise, it equals up to...32 AC, with 27 touch AC. 22 Cha (18+2 levels+2 Cloak of Charisma). Good chance to disarm and feint opponents (whoo feint as swift action!), and has 15 int. This is using a +1 Keen side-sword (same damage and crit range as rapier, but also does slashing damage.) and a +2 Defending dagger. So, if the opponent is disarmed, on an average attack they're dealing...1d6+1+6+2+2d6 + 1d4+2+6+2+2d6, average damage of 38. Also, the character doesn't have a ring of protection and they have an Amulet of Health to help with going toe to toe rather than Amulet of Natural Armor, so that AC could be even higher.

Everyone's thoughts?

Malacode
2009-06-26, 08:21 AM
First up: nice build, simple and elegant, gets the job done well.
Check out ToB. Yes, yes, Swodsage would be the obvious add-on, but the reason you should check it out is Desert Wind Dodge. It's -like- dodge, and counts as Dodge for the purposes of all pre-requisites, but it's a far better feat for a mobile swashbucker. Then again, you don't have a spring-attacky build, so it's really not a -huge- boost. Still, check the feat out, you may like it

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-26, 08:30 AM
IIRC, there is another dodge-substitute feat in RoTW, allowing you a +2 bonus if you move more that 40 feet. I don't know if could be useful for you, but just in case, I want to point it out.

The name is expeditious dodge.

Jergmo
2009-06-26, 08:42 AM
Cool, thanks. I'll check 'em out. :smallsmile:

talus21
2009-06-26, 09:55 AM
This is using a +1 Keen side-sword (same damage and crit range as rapier, but also does slashing damage.)

What book did you find this weapon in? I really like this and would like to ask my DM for it.

Sliver
2009-06-26, 10:02 AM
Looks really nice..

But I have a question tho.. not about the build, but in general...
Why daggers? isn't a short sword a light weapon too? It has a bit of a higher damage, so why not?

talus21
2009-06-26, 10:08 AM
Looks really nice..

Why daggers? isn't a short sword a light weapon too? It has a bit of a higher damage, so why not?

I would guess because daggers do both piercing and slashing damage. That would be why I would use one.

Thespianus
2009-06-26, 10:18 AM
Beyond that, put the rest in rogue.

Nice build, but may I ask why you go all Rogue after level 10? If you continue with Swashbuckler instead and take the feat Daring Outlaw, you get better BAB and the same Sneak Attack progression.

If you're supposed to be the skillmonkey, I totally understand, but otherwise Swashbuckler w. Daring Outlaw would be my choice.

I suppose you get a BAB of 16 at Level 20 with your build, but with Swashbuckler you'd end up with a BAB of 19. It might not be too important, though.

I've looked a lot at these kinds of builds, and I really like them, even if they're not terribly efficient. :)

Jergmo
2009-06-26, 11:13 AM
What book did you find this weapon in? I really like this and would like to ask my DM for it.

This isn't from a book. I merely found information about side-swords online; it's the trademark weapon of swashbucklers, and is actually how they got their name from the "swash" sound it makes when you slash and incorporated it. I classified it as an Exotic weapon which Swashbucklers have proficiency in.

Looks really nice..

Deals both slashing and piercing, is easy to hide, and can be thrown if you need to do that.

Nice build, but may I ask why you go all Rogue after level 10? If you continue with Swashbuckler instead and take the feat Daring Outlaw, you get better BAB and the same Sneak Attack progression.

If you're supposed to be the skillmonkey, I totally understand, but otherwise Swashbuckler w. Daring Outlaw would be my choice.

I suppose you get a BAB of 16 at Level 20 with your build, but with Swashbuckler you'd end up with a BAB of 19. It might not be too important, though.

I've looked a lot at these kinds of builds, and I really like them, even if they're not terribly efficient. :)

Swashbucklers don't have sneak attack progression. Their only bonus damage is the int bonus deal.

Emong
2009-06-26, 11:21 AM
Swashbucklers don't have sneak attack progression. Their only bonus damage is the int bonus deal.

However the feat Daring Outlaw lets Rogue and Swashbuckler levels stack for determining sneak attack dice.

Jergmo
2009-06-26, 11:29 AM
However the feat Daring Outlaw lets Rogue and Swashbuckler levels stack for determining sneak attack dice.

This is perfect for the build! Thanks. :smallbiggrin: Sadly it can't be pulled off at level 10 without being human, but it's something for level 12 for non-humans, I guess.

Fitz10019
2009-06-26, 06:42 PM
I would guess because daggers do both piercing and slashing damage. That would be why I would use one.

minor correction: daggers do piercing or slashing damage; in contrast, morningstars to piercing and bludgeoning; according to the Rules Compendium, claws do piercing and slashing.