PDA

View Full Version : [4e] "Low-magic" setting

Hal
2009-06-26, 09:08 AM
I'll be starting a new 4e game relatively soon, and during the planning session our DM has told us that it's a low-magic setting. That is, magic items will be rarely seen, and when present will be much more game changing. He didn't say that we would never see them, but I can't really anticipate when, or if, we'll carry anything other than mundane equipment. Alchemy (and potions by extension) are used with increasing frequency. The DM didn't comment on any other consumable items.

To compensate for our lack of magic items, the DM is giving us the same bonuses that a +1 magic weapon/armor/neck piece would grant at the levels they would become available.

I'll be playing a dragonborn rogue starting at lvl 4. Any advice for making the most of it? I'm not familiar enough with the alchemical materials to know what's worth getting and what isn't. Should I petition the DM for an additional power, since we won't have the powers that the equipment would provide?

Kurald Galain
2009-06-26, 09:14 AM
I'll be playing a dragonborn rogue starting at lvl 4. Any advice for making the most of it?
Standard rogue advice applies. There aren't all that many magical items that would be crucial to a low-level rogue, so the low magic setting wouldn't hurt.

On the other hand, you can stock up on mundane gear, of which rogues get a bunch. There's stealth-boosting camo clothes, thievery-boosting glass cutters, and so forth.

I'm not familiar enough with the alchemical materials to know what's worth getting and what isn't.
The short answer is that none of it is worth getting. With the exception of healing and clarity potions, pretty much every consumable is so low-powered compared to class powers, and so expensive, that it's really a big money sink. Don't bother.

Should I petition the DM for an additional power, since we won't have the powers that the equipment would provide?
"Should" on what grounds? In terms of balance it doesn't matter much at low level (although by the time you reach level 8 or 9 you could have up to half a dozen utility items). In terms of versatility, I suppose it would not be unresonable to get an additional utility power from your class list at level 4 and 8.

Ninetail
2009-06-26, 06:27 PM
Should I petition the DM for an additional power, since we won't have the powers that the equipment would provide?

No, at least not until you've played the game for a couple of levels. Trust your GM, he may already have you covered.

If it turns out he doesn't, AND you're falling behind in terms of utility powers... then gently point it out, yes. He may have overlooked it. But it sounds like he's been considering the ramifications of a low-magic game, so give him a chance to show you what he has in mind.

Gralamin
2009-06-26, 06:29 PM
To compensate for our lack of magic items, the DM is giving us the same bonuses that a +1 magic weapon/armor/neck piece would grant at the levels they would become available.

This alone will be sufficient enough.

Yakk
2009-06-27, 08:44 AM
Meh, it is close.

Handing out some extra toys to make up for the lack of daily magic item powers isn't that hard, and won't be all that missed if the DM doesn't do it.