Lysander
2009-06-26, 09:41 AM
I think this is an interesting spell that could have some uses:

Ethereal Merge
Transmutation
Level: Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Cube shaped area (100ft across + 10ft/caster level)
Duration: 1 minute/level (D)
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

This spell merges the Material and Ethereal plane within the fixed area it is cast on. Anyone entering that area from either plane is considered as being in both planes. Upon leaving the area or once the spell ends they return to their appropriate plane.

All normally invisible and intangible creatures of the ethereal plane become visible, and can physically and magically interact with material creatures and objects. Spells cast outwards from the merged area can be considered at the caster's choice as cast in the ethereal plane or the material plane but not both. Gravity remains subjective for all creatures but since everything exists in both planes, including walls and floors, it is impossible to pass through things. Spells like Ethereal Jaunt still work within a merge, but make no difference while within the area.

Anti-magic fields work within a merge but only on other spells and can't affect an already complete merge. A successful targeted Dispel Magic or Mage's Disjunction can end a merge.

Component:
Mixed Diamond and Onyx dust worth 1,000gp.

DracoDei
2009-07-03, 04:33 PM
I have been staring at this off and on for days now and still can't think of much to say about it. It sounds like the sort of thing that might tend to get Perminancied or made into a fixed magic item as part of defenses a lot. Beyond that, I have no idea about balance, but it sounds very interesting... sorry I can't think of more to say.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-03, 06:04 PM
Upon leaving the area or once the spell ends they return to their appropriate plane.

Given that this is a 9th-level spell, creatures should probably have the option of leaving into either plane as desired; an inter-planar crossroads is a good use of a 9th-level spell. Otherwise, I'd bump it down to 8th level, or maybe 7th, as there are already a few spells that make the Ethereal and Prime merge for certain purposes.

Lysander
2009-07-03, 11:38 PM
I have been staring at this off and on for days now and still can't think of much to say about it. It sounds like the sort of thing that might tend to get Perminancied or made into a fixed magic item as part of defenses a lot. Beyond that, I have no idea about balance, but it sounds very interesting... sorry I can't think of more to say.

I wonder how it should cost to make permanent. Not only does it make ghosts tangible, it also grants everyone inside the power to fly.

quick_comment
2009-07-04, 12:05 AM
Meh, there is already the spell make manifest in either manual of the planes or complete arcane. It drags everything from the ethereal plane to the material plane.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-04, 10:47 PM
Meh, there is already the spell make manifest in either manual of the planes or complete arcane. It drags everything from the ethereal plane to the material plane.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. That's level 6 for clerics and 8 for wizards (though it really doesn't deserve being level 8), so this one should probably be level 7 or 8 at best.