PDA

View Full Version : Aligned Outsiders

The White Knight
2009-06-26, 12:20 PM
(D&D 3.5)

I'm trying to pull together a list of outsider families (by which I mean groups of outsiders with their own subtype, like Tanar'ri or Eladrin) who are tied to particular alignments (have subtypes for one or both alignment axes). From the Monster Manual, I see Angels (Good), Archons (Law, Good), Eladrin (Chaos, Good), Devils (Law, Evil) and Demons (Chaos, Evil).

Am I missing any from the MMI? What others are there from other sources?

Anxe
2009-06-26, 12:29 PM
Yugoloths are in various other sources and are Evil with no law or chaos inclinations. Formians are Law. Slaad are Chaos.

TheCountAlucard
2009-06-26, 12:30 PM
Well, in Fiendish Codex I, in addition to "tanar'ri" (your typical demon), there are also obyriths (primordial demons) and loumara (a new branch of demons born from the dreaming corpses of dead gods or somesuch).

There's also Demodands and Yugoloths, but as I'm AFB, I can't look and see if they have their own subtypes or not.

BenTheJester
2009-06-26, 12:33 PM
Musteval(Neutral Good) and Daemons/Yugoloth(Neutral Evil).

Aren't those guys from mechanus Lawful Neutral?

13_CBS
2009-06-26, 12:36 PM
The Inevitables of Mechanus are Lawful and Outsiders (on top of being constructs), I think, so they probably count.

I think some Slaad would count for Chaotic Neutral, maybe, dunno about True Neutral.

Teron
2009-06-26, 12:39 PM
Guardinals are the neutral good exemplars, Slaadi are the chaotic neutral ones, Yugoloths are the neutral evil ones and Rilmani are the true neutral ones. Modrons were the lawful neutral ones in 2nd Edition, but they've only been partially updated in the 3.0 Manual of the Planes web enhancement and one of the last print issues of Dragon; Formians seem to have replaced them. Angels aren't exemplars, but servants of the deities, and can be any good alignment.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-26, 01:00 PM
Fiend Folio and Monster Manual II have a lot of these. The other MMs add a few each, mostly. The Book of Exalted Deeds and Book of Vile Darkness add some, naturally. More are scattered randomly throughout various books.

Eldan
2009-06-26, 01:05 PM
Let's go around the ring and see how many I can remember...

Modrons are from Mechanus, and lawful neutral. There's also inevitables.
Formians are originally from Arcadia, but have moved to mechanus recently.
Then we have the archons, who are lawful good.
Angels can be any good.
Guardinals are neutral good and live on Elysium and the Beastlands.
Asura are archons who have fallen to chaos instead of evil.
The Eladrin are chaotic good.
I don't think the Einherjar were ever converted, but they would probably be outsiders as well.
Limbo has the Slaad who are chaotic neutral.
For Pandemonium, the Shadowfiends might count, though Planescape remarks that they aren't really fiends. THey can be found in the Book of Vile Darkness.
The native fiends of Carceri are the Gehreleths, they are converted in the Fiend Folio under the name "Demodand".
The Grey Waste has the Night Hags and Hordelings. I don't believe I've seen 3rd ed Hordelins anywhere, though. Perhaps on Planewalker or Dicefreaks.
The Yugoloths are the Neutral Evil fiends, living on Gehenna and the Grey Wastes. They are scattered across several books, but the basic ones are in the Fiend Folio.
The hells, of course, are getting all the books these days. They have the Baatezu.
For Acheron, I can only think of the Rakshasa as native outsiders.
This leaves the Rilmani for the Spire and the Outlands.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-26, 01:13 PM
Einherjar are in Deities & Demigods.

Acheron (Lawful Neutral Evil) has rakshasa, bladelings, and native yugoloths; other than that, you've got rust monsters and rust dragons (not actually dragons, but huge rust monsters).

Pandemonium (Chaotic Evil Neutral) has howlers, but no actual breed or faction of outsiders to rule it. It's just howling madness and wind.

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-26, 03:41 PM
Inevitables aren't outsiders. They're constructs. (A single monster can't have more than one creature type.) They are, however, strongly aligned with Law and native to Mechanus, so they're rather outsider-like constructs.

Modrons (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20010921a), on the other hand, are Lawful outsiders but artificial-seeming in keeping with Mechanus's overall theme; so they're construct-like outsiders.

I gather that the modrons keep Mechanus running properly, while the inevitables police the multiverse. Kind of like how archons, guardinals, and eladrins relate to angels and asuras, I think.

hamishspence
2009-06-26, 04:08 PM
The Dragon Magazine versions of modrons: Construct (extraplanar, lawful)

maybe they don't count.

I thought the Wind Dukes of Aaqa, whatever they were, were supposed to be the prototypical lawful outsiders.

I wonder what zenthyri in MM2 (lawful outsider planetouched) are descended from?

AslanCross
2009-06-26, 06:34 PM
I wonder what zenthyri in MM2 (lawful outsider planetouched) are descended from?

The book chickened out on that. They're descended from a "mysterious race whose identity can only be guessed at."

Then MM3 has the Justicator, which is kind of lonely as an Always Lawful Neutral outsider. They're native to Acheron, though.

http://wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83013.jpg