PDA

View Full Version : Some questions (3.5)

Harperfan7
2009-06-26, 01:08 PM
First off, I remember seeing somebody propose rules allowing acid/alchemist fires to go up to 5d6 damage each (with a higher cost). What was the cost of these increments, and what are the DCs for making them? Also, is the increases damage from quantity or quality?

What are the smokepowder creation DCs from Forgotten Realms?

What is the DC for death from massive damage?

And how would you price weapons with non-magical enhancement bonuses (like a +3 bow that doesn't bypass DR/Magic, but still adds +3 to attack and damage)? They can still be enchanted, but the bonuses wouldn't stack, and enchanting these items would cost less until you hit their existing enhancement bonus. I'm thinking half, like a +1 non magic bow costing +1000gp, and if you want to enchant it at +1, another 1000gp for a total of 2000 as normal. Just looking for opinions.

Assassin89
2009-06-26, 09:11 PM
The SRD is your friend.

Massive Damage

If you ever sustain a single attack deals 50 points of damage or more and it doesn’t kill you outright, you must make a DC 15 Fortitude save. If this saving throw fails, you die regardless of your current hit points. If you take 50 points of damage or more from multiple attacks, no one of which dealt 50 or more points of damage itself, the massive damage rule does not apply.

As for the non-magical enhancement bonuses, it should be similar to masterwork weapons, but the price is 900* bonus^2.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-26, 09:16 PM
There's an additional part of 'death by massive damage'. Not sure if it's a caveat, or an alternate rule.
Death by massive damage is NOT 50 points regardless, it changes by size of recipient. Small is 40, Tiny is 30, Large is 60, Huge is 70 etc.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-26, 10:54 PM
There's an additional part of 'death by massive damage'. Not sure if it's a caveat, or an alternate rule.
Death by massive damage is NOT 50 points regardless, it changes by size of recipient. Small is 40, Tiny is 30, Large is 60, Huge is 70 etc.

That's a variant in the DMG.

Harperfan7
2009-06-27, 02:14 AM
I can do simple math faster than a calculator on speed in a hurry, but I have no idea what ^2 means.

Also, just a flat DC 15? Seems pretty weak.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-27, 02:23 AM
I can do simple math faster than a calculator on speed in a hurry, but I have no idea what ^2 means.

Squared. to the power of two. Etc, etc.

BobVosh
2009-06-27, 02:29 AM
Also, just a flat DC 15? Seems pretty weak.

There is a reason noone plays with it. By the time you do that damage, (excluding x3 crits on barbarians, etc) everyone makes it constantly. Except on ones, plus the last thing the game needs is another SoD.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-27, 01:45 PM
There is a reason noone plays with it. By the time you do that damage, (excluding x3 crits on barbarians, etc) everyone makes it constantly. Except on ones, plus the last thing the game needs is another SoD.

Furthermore the Mettle class feature, by a certain reading, negates the damage entirely if you pass the Fort save.