PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class That Lowers Your Spellcasting Level

Lysander
2009-06-26, 01:42 PM
This is a very vague idea I'd like your feedback on. Basically, the idea is a prestige class for arcane spellcasters. Unlike most prestige classes that raise your caster level and grant more spells with each level this one lowers it. The more levels you take the fewer spells per day you get, you lose access to your higher level spells, and your effective caster level goes down. And you would need to have caster levels to lose in order to take levels in this class.

The reason why you'd do this is that you aren't giving up your arcane power, you're converting it into improvements to your physical form. So a wizard would give up their magic for things like:

*Incredible amounts of health
*Abilities that buff strength and dexterity beyond most magic's capability
*Extremely high saves
*Regeneration and fast healing
*Damage reduction
*No penalties as you age

So if a powerful wizard or sorceror wants to give up their magic and become the juggernaut instead, this is how they'd do it. After several levels a powerful wizard might limited to level one spells, but they'd be able to beat up a room full of barbarians.

Any ideas? Possible name idea: The Arcane Incarnate

Maerok
2009-06-26, 01:56 PM
Look into the Green Star Adept.

Origomar
2009-06-26, 01:58 PM
Pfft its called druid.

Myrmex
2009-06-26, 02:04 PM
So, instead of getting Real Ultimate Power as you gain levels, you decide you're going to pass that up and hang out with the dudes with pointy sticks?

No thanks.

Yakk
2009-06-26, 02:15 PM
Suppose a Wizard 10/Anti-Wizard 10 had no casting left.

And was much stronger than a Barbarian 20. Could beat up rooms of them!

Um. What? Do you really hate non-casters that much?

Lysander
2009-06-26, 03:40 PM
Suppose a Wizard 10/Anti-Wizard 10 had no casting left.

And was much stronger than a Barbarian 20. Could beat up rooms of them!

Um. What? Do you really hate non-casters that much?

Of course it would have to be balanced with a straight melee class of the equivalent level. I'm just thinking that it would have arcane aspects to it.

So perhaps a level 20 Arcane Incarnate would lose to a level 20 barbarian. But his special abilities might make up for that. Maybe he'd be able to run away and come back in a few minutes with many hit points restored. Or would be able to use AOE spells centered on himself and shrug off the effect.

mikeejimbo
2009-06-26, 04:26 PM
A Wizard doesn't even need to do this to be a juggernaut, though. He can just PaO himself into a dragon. Or something.

BRC
2009-06-26, 04:30 PM
So you are going for the player who makes a wizard and thinks "Sigh, I want to hit things without using Polymorph or Tensers Transformation, or summoning big things, or dominating opponents that can hit things, or just bashing things to pieces with blasting spells. I wish I rolled a fighter, but my DM won't let me reroll."

You can make it if you want, but most people roll a wizard because they want to play a wizard, not because they want to play a fighter or barbarian who used to be a wizard.

Maerok
2009-06-26, 04:31 PM
Mind jar a Fighter.

Jane_Smith
2009-06-26, 07:38 PM
Mind Jar? Pfft. Gate - PIT LORD. ._. Nough said.

Al-Ashrad
2009-06-26, 07:49 PM
This is a very vague idea I'd like your feedback on. Basically, the idea is a prestige class for arcane spellcasters. Unlike most prestige classes that raise your caster level and grant more spells with each level this one lowers it. The more levels you take the fewer spells per day you get, you lose access to your higher level spells, and your effective caster level goes down. And you would need to have caster levels to lose in order to take levels in this class.

The reason why you'd do this is that you aren't giving up your arcane power, you're converting it into improvements to your physical form. So a wizard would give up their magic for things like:

*Incredible amounts of health
*Abilities that buff strength and dexterity beyond most magic's capability
*Extremely high saves
*Regeneration and fast healing
*Damage reduction
*No penalties as you age

So if a powerful wizard or sorceror wants to give up their magic and become the juggernaut instead, this is how they'd do it. After several levels a powerful wizard might limited to level one spells, but they'd be able to beat up a room full of barbarians.

Any ideas? Possible name idea: The Arcane Incarnate

I don't know about this one.

As others have mentioned earlier, those who roll up a Wizard usually want to play a Wizard. I just don't see this getting much use.

Limos
2009-06-26, 10:08 PM
Maybe if you had him sacrifice spells per day but he gains Spell Like abilities? So rather than preparing spells and being a wizard he becomes a living fount of magical energy?

Lysander
2009-06-26, 10:14 PM
Maybe if you had him sacrifice spells per day but he gains Spell Like abilities? So rather than preparing spells and being a wizard he becomes a living fount of magical energy?

That was my general idea. My goal isn't to turn a wizard into a big dumb barbarian. The idea is to make a magical entity that doesn't need spells.

Jane_Smith
2009-06-26, 10:18 PM
... Why even give up spell slots? You want a warrior-wizard?

Melee Buffs: Stoneskin, Mage's Armor, False Life, Flame Shield, Immunity to Arrows, Haste, Enlarge Person, Stonefist, Tensor's Transformation, Greater Magic Weapon, Resistance, POLYMORPH.

In effect, just "give up' your spell slots to -cast- that stuff and your good to go! Seriously, ever seen a 20th level Transmutation Wizard? They make hordes of mid-level barbarians CRY in their SLEEP.

Edit: also forgot - Concealment, Mirror Image, Greater Invisibility....

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-26, 10:20 PM
Why would you need a prestige class to do this? Every time a wizard takes a level in any class that doesn't improve wizard casting, they're exchanging spellcasting power for martial prowess, becoming/staying weaker than other wizards.

Jane_Smith
2009-06-26, 10:23 PM
Hes got a point... consider Dragon Disciple for example. Crapload of physical boosts, but stunts your spellcasting. Why would you want to 'subtract' on what you got?

Jogi
2009-06-26, 10:28 PM
I think your best shot is: instead of permanently sacrificing caster levels, you'd make the player sacrifice spell slots at the start of every day. Then, based on how many and total level of sacrificed slots, the caster would get physical bonus (which I suppose, would be in a table). Also, the number of slots that can be sacrificed would be balanced to his level, as well as max lv of sacrificed slot.

This way you wouldn't have to give up the search for utmost arcane power so you become a "dude with a stick".

Otherwise, if you stick to the permanent sacrifice thing, I wouldn't ever take this class. As said: it would have to be at least as powerfull as a Barbarian 20, and yet, it could be close to reinventing the wheel.