PDA

View Full Version : Juggernaut (PrC)

Raum
2006-02-08, 08:42 PM
Hand of Vishnu, Juggernaut

Legend says Vishnu, a great emperor of prehistoric times, fathered two sons, Juggernaut and Jagganath. It goes on to say these two sons became great warriors, fighting together in countless battles against their father's foes. Even the greatest warrior gods feared to face the sons of Vishnu in battle. The two brothers continued to defend each other for centuries, until they met Selene. Both fell to Selene's beauty. Jealousy tore the brothers apart. Wronged and betrayed by Jagganath, Juggernaut swore vengeance and forced his followers to swear the same oath and the two brothers warred.

Bereft of his sons' support, Vishnu and his court were betrayed and destroyed one by one. At the end, Selene betrayed the brothers to each other and saw them both destroyed. All that is left of Vishnu's once powerful court are the two warring organizations which used to be the followers of Juggernaut and Jagganath. Bereft of political power, the two organizations recruit and train warriors to continue a war begun by brothers millenia past.

Hit Die: d10

Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Ride 5
Feats: Cleave, Spring Attack, Improved Toughness
Special: The character must successfully resist overrun or bull rush by an opponent at least one size category larger than himself.

Class Skills
The juggernaut's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Cha), and Swim (Str).
Skill points at each level: 2 + Int modifier

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the juggernaut prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Juggernauts are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor, and with shields.

Unstoppable (Ex)
A juggernaut may become an unstoppable force a certain number of times per day. While unstoppable he may move up to his base speed and still make a full round attack. The juggernaut is subject to attacks of opportunity while moving. While unstoppable a juggernaut may not use skills or abilities that involve concentration or require him to remain still, such as Move Silently, Hide, or Search. A juggernaut can not become unstoppable while under the effect of a rage or frenzy ability.
A juggernaut can become unstoppable only once per encounter. The unstoppable effect lasts one round per juggernaut level plus one round per point of Constitution modifier. When the effect wears off, the juggernaut becomes fatigued until he recovers from fatigue normally.

Oath of Vengeance (Su)
Each Juggernaut must swear an oath of vengeance against all who claim allegiance to the betrayer Jagganath. As a sign of his oath, the order tattoos a clenched fist on the back of his left hand. The juggernaut gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against followers of Jagganath. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against them.

{table]
Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
+1
+2
+0
+0
Unstoppable 1/day, Oath of Vengeance
+2
+3
+0
+0
Tough 10%
+3
+3
+1
+1
Unstoppable 2/day
+4
+4
+1
+1
Feet of Stone, Tough 20%
+5
+4
+1
+1
Unstoppable 3/day
+6
+5
+2
+2
Absorb Blow, Tough 30%
+7
+5
+2
+2
Unstoppable 4/day
+8
+6
+2
+2
Strength of Stone,Tough 40%
+9
+6
+3
+3
Unstoppable 5/day
+10
+7
+3
+3
Flesh of Stone
[/table]

Tough (Ex)
Juggernauts are extremely tough and hard to damage. At second level he gains 10% fortification. This increases every every other level to a maximum of 40% fortification at level eight.

Feet of Stone (Ex)
At fourth level, a juggernaut gains a +4 circumstance bonus to resist being tripped, overrun, and bull rushed.

Absorb Blow (Ex)
The juggernaut can absorb a potentially lethal blow shrugging off damage from it that he otherwise would take at sixth level. Once per day, when he would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), the juggernaut can attempt to absorb the blow and shrug off the damage. To use this ability, the juggernaut must attempt a Fortitude saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If the save succeeds, he takes only no damage from the blow; if it fails, he takes half damage. He must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute his absorb blow—if he is denied his Dexterity bonus to AC, he can’t use this ability.

Strength of Stone (Su)
At level eight, a juggernaut gains the ability to pull strength directly from the earth. As long as he is on the ground, he may use a standard action to enhance his strength with that of the earth he stands upon, gaining a +8 enhancement to his strength for one round per class level. He may do this once per day.

Flesh of Stone (Ex)
A tenth level juggernaut is immune to critical hits.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please let me know what you think of it, particularly regarding balance.

Thanks
Raum

Edit: Here's the Jagganath (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1139447391 ) PrC.

Xanosect
2006-02-08, 08:47 PM
I like it, it's doesn't seemed overpowered, nor absolutely useless.

The 5 ranks in ride for a class that's supposed to be on the ground and unmoving seems strange.

for flavor purposes you might want to include in the requirements of being inducted into the "cult of juggernaut" or whatever.

Spuddly
2006-02-08, 08:48 PM
Is Oath of Vengeance at all useful?

Raum
2006-02-08, 09:18 PM
Thanks for pointing that out Xanosect, I agree it's not appropriate.

As far as Oath of Vengeance goes Spuddly, it's of limited use. Only useful against the opposing organization. It's not really meant to be more though, the other abilities are the class powers.

Spuddly
2006-02-08, 09:54 PM
Ohhh, an opposing organization. I read that to be the same one the PrC would be in. Silly me.

Mephibosheth
2006-02-08, 10:03 PM
I like the abilities of these PrC's, and they seem balanced. Nice work.

My only question is: What's the link between these PrC's, their attendant organizations, and the worship of Jagganath, lord of the universe in Puri? I couldn't help but notice the similarities, especially in the naming. I admit to only superficial knowledge of the worship of Jagganath, but I'm interested in how these PrC's were influenced by it.

My only other comment is that these two PrC's seem largely similar. Sure, a Juggernaut seems more stoic and immovable whereas a Jagganath is more mobile, but they both have many similar class features. Perhaps a bit of differentiation?

Nice job on some interesting PrC's. I'd love to take these as a Scout or Barbarian!

Mephibosheth

Abd al-Azrad
2006-02-09, 03:23 AM
Perhaps we can finally solve the question plaguing philosophers and scientists alike: what happens when the Unstoppable force meets the Immovable object (other PrCs grant Immovability)?

AtomicKitKat
2006-02-09, 05:56 AM
I don't really see why you can't go Unstoppable in a Rage/Frenzy/Fury/whatever anger-related power. If anything, going ridiculously angry(and strong) makes one even more unstoppable(examples: Hulk and Juggernaut from Marvel Comics. :P )

JungeonJeff
2006-02-09, 07:42 AM
I don't really see why you can't go Unstoppable in a Rage/Frenzy/Fury/whatever anger-related power. If anything, going ridiculously angry(and strong) makes one even more unstoppable(examples: Hulk and Juggernaut from Marvel Comics. :P )

Curious, I always found that Juggernaut never "Raged" as the Barbarian in D&D does, he might seem angry at times, but he ussually just walkes trough cars/wall/stuff-to-break. As for Hulk, I would say as he is fulled by rage, but I see this PrC as a more "calm" force. The meer fact that a requirement for the class is to RESIST a overrun/bull rush, not win one, would in my my mind, make it a more... not defencive, but "controlled" class.

brummeren
2006-02-09, 01:32 PM
This combined with scout.... Ouch. Nice flavor, though