PDA

View Full Version : [4E]Called Shots

Totally Guy
2009-06-26, 06:55 PM
Call a Shot

As part of your action when using a Ranged or Melee attack power you can declare your intent to strike a body part the target posesses to give the power an additional effect.
Lowest modifier:When making this attack use the lowest value out of the power's attack stat, your intelligence and your dexterity.
Further the body part chosen for a Called Shot imposes a penalty to the attack roll.

Wing -4 to attack roll - Hit: If target is flying it lands prone. The target cannot fly until rested.
Leg -4 to attack roll - Hit: Target is slowed until rested. Against a target that is already slowed the target becomes immobilised until rested.
Arm -4 to attack roll - Hit: Target is weakened (save ends)
Head -6 to attack roll - Hit: Target is Dazed (save ends) on a critical hit target is Dying instead (saves as rules for player characters, target can spend a healing surge on attaining a result of 20). A creature with more than one head can make an additional saving throw at the start of it's turn and cannot become dying as a result of a critical hit.
Ankle -6 to attack roll - Hit: Target is prone and cannot stand up (save ends).
Hand -6 to attack roll - Hit: Target drops anything held in targeted hand. If a versatile weapon is being wielded in two hands the character may choose to weild it one handed if able to do so.
Eye -8 to attack roll - Hit: Target is blinded in that eye, drops prone. The target is also stunned (save ends).
Testicles -8 to attack roll - Target is stunned (save ends). Aftereffect: Target is dazed (save ends).

If the power used replicates any condition imposed by the called shot used the power does not produce that condition on this attack.

Well that looks like fun. It's intended to reward those with fairly balanced stats by using the lowest of 2 or 3 attributes. But I've got the feeling that this would just end up as a Wizard/Rogue trick, with Eladrin's running all over the place kicking people in the nuts.

Then after that there's the attack penalty itself. The most direct comparison I could think to use was the Intimidate a bloodied hostile opponent which accomplishes a similar effect. It ends the battle for that person. That's balanced out by the bloodied requirement and the +10 defence bonus for hostility. So in my mind the "lowest attribute" thing is about -2. And the -8 bridges that gap.

Limos
2009-06-26, 10:10 PM
This would be fun while playing a Rogue Archer, you can pop crossbow bolts into people's eyes. If we fight Cyclopes then you get free sneak attack!

Shadow_Elf
2009-06-26, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure how the multi-stat requirement and massive penalties will combine. Most people won't have an INT and a DEX only 4 lower than their primary stat, unless their primary is one and their secondary is the other. I would make it secondary effects on melee basic and ranged basic attacks, and let them use the appropriate mod, and then make all the balance come from the penalties, so you don't have multiple factors warping the balance.

And so that every Eladrin in your campaign stops kicking people in the crotch and poking their eyes out.

Totally Guy
2009-06-27, 04:51 AM
I would make it secondary effects on melee basic and ranged basic attacks, and let them use the appropriate mod, and then make all the balance come from the penalties, so you don't have multiple factors warping the balance.

That was my initial thought but I didn't want to produce an alternative to using a power. I wanted to augment a power usage because I like the power system but think it could be more versatile. I want to use a power but in a particular way...

The lowest attribute thing was to reward balanced stats, the system currently rewards imbalanced stats. I'll put 18 in my attack stat and "meh" the rest.

A consequence of this is that the dex secondary Wand wizards would probably be very good at this. But wizards use status conditions anyway so in theory it's less usedful to them than the ranger who cannot normally produce these effects. Plus intellegence is common dump stat.