PDA

View Full Version : What are some good feats for disrupting casters?

Shinizak
2009-06-26, 08:52 PM
I need some good feats for disrupting spell casters, I'm basically trying to home brew an anti-caster monster. Got any good suggestions?

VestigeArcanist
2009-06-26, 08:57 PM
Mage Slayer: You gain a +1 bonus on Will saving throws and Spellcasters you threaten may not cast defensively.

But the best anti caster is another caster. If its a monster, then I suggest you give it anti-magic field as a spell-like ability or the like.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-26, 08:59 PM
Mageslayer. Complete Arcane, MM4, MM5.
Pierce magical protection/concealment: Complete arcane.

The first means any caster in its reach cannot cast defensively, and knowsit.
The other two are easy ways to strip casters of their defensive buffs that came from spells and spell trigger items (permanent items aren't destroyed. Just ignored, like that cloak of the displacerbeast)

A deeper darkness spelllike ability, coupled with those, combat ref, reach. Add in some battlefield maneuverability in some way (dim door 20 ft every X rounds for instance). He can now lock down the caster, and prevent the warriors in the party from closing easily.

Could steal some class abilities from Occultslayer(CWar) and Witchslayer (ToM)

Gnaeus
2009-06-26, 09:02 PM
Exotic Weapon Proficiency-Spiked Chain
Combat Reflexes
Pierce Magical Concealment (requires Blind-Fighting)
Pierce Magical Protection
Improved sunder and/or improved disarm. To be used on holy symbols, spell component pouches, wands and staves.

Something to get at least large size, half giant or enlarge person are common

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-26, 09:19 PM
I need some good feats for disrupting spell casters, I'm basically trying to home brew an anti-caster monster. Got any good suggestions?

There is always the epic feat Spellcasting Harrier, "Any spellcaster the character threatens in melee provokes an attack of opportunity if he or she tries to cast defensively. The character gets a +4 bonus on this attack roll."

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-26, 09:31 PM
Exotic Weapon Proficiency-Spiked Chain
Combat Reflexes
Pierce Magical Concealment (requires Blind-Fighting)
Pierce Magical Protection
Improved sunder and/or improved disarm. To be used on holy symbols, spell component pouches, wands and staves.

Something to get at least large size, half giant or enlarge person are commonYou forgot Thicket of Blades(ToB) and Stand Still(SRD, XPH) to prevent the 5' step+Cast trick.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-26, 11:33 PM
There is always the epic feat Spellcasting Harrier, "Any spellcaster the character threatens in melee provokes an attack of opportunity if he or she tries to cast defensively. The character gets a +4 bonus on this attack roll."

Mageslayer is much the same, but doesn't require you to be epic. However you also don't get the +4 to hit them when they cast in your reach.
On the other hand, the Pierce Magical X feats allow you to ignore misschance resulting from spells, and dispel armor bonuses granted from spells, wands, rods, staves etc. So a fighter with these feats can nerf a 9th level spell.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-27, 12:00 AM
Mageslayer is much the same, but doesn't require you to be epic. However you also don't get the +4 to hit them when they cast in your reach.
On the other hand, the Pierce Magical X feats allow you to ignore misschance resulting from spells, and dispel armor bonuses granted from spells, wands, rods, staves etc. So a fighter with these feats can nerf a 9th level spell.

Thanks! Good stuff to know...

herrhauptmann
2009-06-27, 10:54 AM
No problem.
I built a 12th character with those last week, and now those feats have been relevant in like 5 different threads in the last week and a half.
(Best of all for this character, the campaign ended up being us racing to westgate to warn someone of an impending Thayan invasion. Now I just need greater battlefield maneuverability, and I should be able to save the party)